What's going on with the Dlux 109???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 109 has been in with Leica in Allendale , N.J now for about three months. Seems as if they are replacing my camera with a new one, but they do not have a black ones to give to me, only the gray is available. My question is, does anyone know or believe that they are discontinuing this model?. This is the second time it's been in for repair and that the length of time I'm without the camera is growing each instance. Last conversation with Allendale is that 'maybe' by the end of June I would have a new camera, but that sounds iffy at best.  I know there's been a lot wrong with the camea since it's hitting the market, but waiting three months for a camera to come out of Germany...well, should it take so long, and why should it?

Growing impatient and loosing faith in the 109.

Any idea?

Sorry to hear that!

Yes, I too had a Typ 109 that I returned soon afterwards (now I'm running an old M9 which I love). Another pal who is running a 109 has had his back to NJ twice now, seems the zooming part of the lens keeps on getting dirt stuck in it as it moves back and forth, which starts to grind into the mechanism over time.

Anyway, NJ has fixed it twice for him how, and I haven't heard anything more about it, one way or another, so they might have fixed that issue. Or maybe he just quit taking it to dusty locations, or maybe he just sets the zoom inside his car and doesn't touch it outside... : )

Must say I don't have that issue with my M9, Digilux 2 or my V Lux Typ 114, it's just the 109 that seems to be somewhat of a problem child...

Must say I don't have that issue with my M9, Digilux 2 or my V Lux Typ 114, it's just the 109 that seems to be somewhat of a problem child...

I also have a Digilux 2 and no problem at all.  What you mentioned about your friend is why mine was taken in to service.  I find it strange that there are a lot of gray 109s to be had ( as Allendale seemed to be pushing the grey one to replace my black one),  but no availability for the black ones even from Germany)  I can't help but wonder if they're going to discontinue the 109.    Does anyone know if this has happened in Leica's history before.   I feel as if this camera has been back home with leica more than in mine! 

If I recall, the 109 has been on the market for three years.  If that's correct ​maybe we're approaching a replacement.  I suspect that the reason they are offering you the gray one may just be due to their having sold far more of the blacks and far fewer of the grays than they expected, and may in fact be out of blacks.  Good luck with solving this quickly.  Even though Leica is but 20-30 minutes from you it's still annoying to go up the Parkway and up 17, both under-sized for their traffic.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These cameras are made in batches by Panasonic. I think they make enough for their estimated sales over a certain period. As Stuart has said the 109 has been out for a few years now and is probably due to be replaced so they are most likely not going to make any more - if all they have left is grey that's what's on offer I guess. At least it's a new camera you're getting though. 

If I recall, the 109 has been on the market for three years.  If that's correct ​maybe we're approaching a replacement.  I suspect that the reason they are offering you the gray one may just be due to their having sold far more of the blacks and far fewer of the grays than they expected, and may in fact be out of blacks.  Good luck with solving this quickly.  Even though Leica is but 20-30 minutes from you it's still annoying to go up the Parkway and up 17, both under-sized for their traffic.

The D-Lux 109 has been introduced in November 2014. There has not even been a FW update, still version 1.0!

The earliest time for a successor would be the Photokina fair in September 2016.

Andreas

• Like 2

Both Adorama and B&H both have black ones in stock.  I wonder if you can prevail upon Leica NJ to arrange with one of the vendors to get your black replacement.

Thank you! I've emailed Leica N.J. with that information, and will let you know the answer when answered! My fingers are crossed. In my opinion, three months is too long for no answers to this. I've talked with Roxanne and she's a delight, but hasn't an answer except to 'wait'. When is 'waiting' done? -g-

Talked today with them, and was informed that the dlux 109 is being discontinued.  So, from this point on, I have no idea what will happen. There are a lot of gray ones available, but I have always liked a black camera so , that decision is made on my part. Anyone have any ideas on how this compensation could or should work out?? At this point I have lost all faith in the camera, and I suppose Leica has also. So, if I don't want another 109, what would anyone recommend to do?

Talked today with them, and was informed that the dlux 109 is being discontinued.  So, from this point on, I have no idea what will happen. There are a lot of gray ones available, but I have always liked a black camera so , that decision is made on my part. Anyone have any ideas on how this compensation could or should work out?? At this point I have lost all faith in the camera, and I suppose Leica has also. So, if I don't want another 109, what would anyone recommend to do?

Ask if it is being replaced by another camera?  Could they offer you that camera as the replacement?  OR, could they ask on elf their retailers, like B&H, to send you one ASAP as Leica's expense?

• Like 1

I am waiting for them to get back to me as there must be a conclsuion on this soon.. I did mention B&H and they skirted the issue. I was told that every decision must come from Germany. 

About two months ago, my woman's intuition told me that they were discontinuing the 109.! Next...the lottery!!! -lol-

• 2 weeks later...

Slightly puzzled as to the unsuitability of a grey camera.. I assume they are the same in usability and image quality, so as far as I'm concerned this is in the "who cares" category. It is not as if somebody is forcing a green with purple and orange blotches one on you.