No picture in EVF or LCD

ericborgstrom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This happened to me twice the other day. I switched on the SL with the Vario-Elmarit. No picture could be seen on the screen but there was the virtual horizon moving and the information around the screen including aperture and time, if accurate i do not know. 

For Sweden it was a nice warm day, 23°C. The camera had been lying in the boot of my ACed car. Switching of, removing the battery did not help until eventually. In a while the fault was repeated. Now the LS seems to be working fine again.

This failure I think was due to heated sensor. 

Have you who use the LS in warmer surroundings had this problem?

/Eric

• Like 1

I have that same problem all the time - when I leave the lens cap on ---  Doh!

Seriously though, I have used the SL in much higher temperatures that 23 degrees (e.g. camera in direct sunlight for a long time with an ambient temparature of 43 degrees) without any problems.  

The Tech Specs quote working conditions from 0 to 40 degrees but I suspect that there's a lot of latitude on both sides (except for frozen batteries)

Even in the boot of your car, at 23 degrees, I doubt if it would get much above 40 degrees, inside the camera.

The lens mount may be slightly loosened. Had a similar experience when the SL was left on the golf cart which needed to negotiate very bumpy terrain. Just re-attach the lens more tightly and the problem is gone.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The lens mount may be slightly loosened. Had a similar experience when the SL was left on the golf cart which needed to negotiate very bumpy terrain. Just re-attach the lens more tightly and the problem is gone.

I concur. 

I have seen a black EVF a few times. The first time I realised it was the lens was when I went to take it off and try another lens. I gripped the lense preparing to take it off and it moved slightly before I had a chance to push the lense release button.

So I then twisted it back on till I heard the click.

I switched the camera on to see the EVF was alive again.

• Like 2

I had a completely black screen after taking a picture - ie, all good till the shutter fired, then a black screen and EVF and camera in operable.  Didn't matter which lens I used.  The issue was only resolved by removing the battery, then it would happen again immediately.

The dealer gave me their demo and Leica replaced the camera, no questions asked.  As this was the first SL in the country, it took Leica a month or so to get a new camera to me.

If you're doing nothing odd, take the camera back - that's part of what we pay for with Leica.

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

So I picked up a new SL2-S with 24-90. Everything arrived in perfect condition, however 3 days in I get a black EVF/monitor with “F—-“ (no f/stop).

Happened this morning after I mounted the lens for only the second time. I started to panic so I searched online and found this thread.

So I can confirm that the black EVF happens if the lens isn’t totally making contact with the body. 

Problem is, the electrical contacts between the body and lens is too sensitive to movement. If I so much must just press the lens release button in, it will lose communication with the body and go to a black EVF. Or I a grab the the lens and try to just it a little twist it will lose contact. 

This is my first Leica but all I can say is that this can’t be normal. On my Nikons, I can press the lens release button or wiggle the lens a bit without losing electrical contact. 

I love with this camera/lens combo but I’m so disappointed by the sensitivity of the mount that I don’t think I’ll keep it. 

10 minutes ago, TwentyEighthParallel said:

Problem is, the electrical contacts between the body and lens is too sensitive to movement. If I so much must just press the lens release button in, it will lose communication with the body and go to a black EVF. Or I a grab the the lens and try to just it a little twist it will lose contact. 

This is my first Leica but all I can say is that this can’t be normal. On my Nikons, I can press the lens release button or wiggle the lens a bit without losing electrical contact. 

why would you press the lens release button or twist the lens while shooting??

I've had it happen maybe twice in 3 years or so

Act as though going to or actually remove lens then reattach, sorted

Both times with a Panasonic zoom I think

Probably just dislodged slightly bouncing around in my bike panniers, we have terrible potholes etc was my conclusion

Edited by huwm
typo