M-D vs Edition 60

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, if I was buying again, I would go for the M60 and 35 package at those prices... but I would have liked the strap lugs... and I don't think it would have compromised the aesthetics of the camera at all... certainly less 'in the way' of the design than the case is.

I wonder if you could add them, post purchase? Do you think Leica would add them if you sent one in?

Leica would do everything for you, as long as you pay :-)

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is just about aesthetics: when the designer of something functional like a camera sacrifices an important if mundane function like strap lugs in return for better looks, that is the point at which he announces that the looks have become ornament. For that reason, the M-D is the more fully realised aesthetic object, and thus the one I'd prefer if I had to make a choice.

My Voigtländer Perkeo II has no strap lugs; its case is how you put the strap on it.  My Balda Baldix didn't have strap lugs either ... Nor did any of my Zeiss Ikon Super Ikontas. Or my Perfex 35 either.

I don't think they were trying to make any "aesthetic statements" with them.  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

My Voigtländer Perkeo II has no strap lugs; its case is how you put the strap on it.  My Balda Baldix didn't have strap lugs either ... Nor did any of my Zeiss Ikon Super Ikontas. Or my Perfex 35 either.

I don't think they were trying to make any "aesthetic statements" with them.  :rolleyes:

No. But as far as I know those cameras were not limited-run variants of a standard model with strap lugs were they?

I'm pretty sure that the M-60 was a great deal to do with aesthetics, and the omission of an important detail like that is almost certainly an aesthetic matter, and in my personal opinion, a failure. I don't condemn the camera for that, but I do think the M-D is the more successful coming-together of form and function, of the two.

Edited by Peter H

The M Edition 60 was a limited run model to commemorate the first M3 of 60 years before. That's why all the fancy stuff: it's a commemorative piece. Whether it has strap lugs or not is completely inconsequential to its raison d'être. They've supplied it as a complete set with lens, custom fitted case and neck strap, just as many bought their M3 in 1954.

The M-D is simply a production model Leica M with the functional aspects of the ME60, supplied to meet the desires of the buying audience like me who wanted what the ME60 had to offer in a standard model. 

Damn them. I've ordered one.  :o 

Edited by ramarren

Dang - the M60 at Red Dot has sold jsut as I'd figured out how to pay for it. Not surprising considering the price it was offered at.

I know for a fact that they have a few more than just one in stock...... And as stated above, they are still listed on the website. 

I know for a fact that they have a few more than just one in stock...... And as stated above, they are still listed on the website. 

I see the ME60s still on the RDC website, £7500 (USD $8900 or so sans tax), and I'd go for one. Except that I really don't need the lens and I prefer the black finish of the M-D ... trivial things, but it saves me $3000.  :D

I suppose everything digital eventually drops in price - including limited edition stuff like the M60, and even the Lenny Kravitz M according to an earlier post.

I still think the M60 S'lux lens looks brilliant on a monochrome, the slight matt silver is a perfect match with the black chrome look. Wonder what that combo would get on eBay - including strap lugs?

I'll take either ME60 or M-D, thank you. Anyone wanting to bin theirs due to the horrid extra noise of the shutter or the unseemly small 1G buffer, please let me know and I'll send you a pre-paid shipper ...  :rolleyes:

Nah, as the crowd was debating about the monstrous shutter noise problem I was out shooting with my M60. And now am in my armchair, beer and popcorn on the side and a smirk on the face as I read this important debate....

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Now that I've been out shooting the M-D for a couple of days, it's time to evaluate this shutter sound stuff. 

M Shutter Sounds playlist. M-D, M-P, M4-2 ...

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFe00UU2hH3AxhBFp_zog_zwgocztsPyj

All three recorded with iPhone 6 in a quiet room with the iPhone about as far from the camera as your ear might be. All cameras set to 1/125 sec and out of their cases, on a resilient pad to prevent resonances. 

enjoy!

• Like 1

It may be super-duper, but it needs a battery*

No strap lugs = half-case mandatory.

So changing a film in a < 1k-dosh mint 2nd hand film-M

(which are available as 0.58 or 0.85, too)

takes about as long as changing the battery in the M60.

____

*batteries = charger etc. (cards-laptop...).

Your notion of bare essentials?

PS half-case mandatory? Keeping the back of the half-case closed on any a digi-M :) ?

Edited by tri

LOL! I think I could pop the case and change a battery in less than five seconds. Threading film takes a bit longer.  :D

But, in the end, it's completely irrelevant. Having spent a few days shooting with the M-D, this is without any question in my mind the digital M I've wanted. It may not be for everyone; it is for me. I'm delighted they made it, and I'm really glad I bought it. It will get a lot of use. 

• Like 1

It may be super-duper, but it needs a battery*

No strap lugs = half-case mandatory.

So changing a film in a < 1k-dosh mint 2nd hand film-M

(which are available as 0.58 or 0.85, too)

takes about as long as changing the battery in the M60.

____

*batteries = charger etc. (cards-laptop...).

Your notion of bare essentials?

PS half-case mandatory? Keeping the back of the half-case closed on any a digi-M :) ?

Is it a race?  What's the hurry?

Bare essentials is certainly an M-A for me.  Lovely camera, but I have to shoot an entire roll of film at the same ISO, then develop the sodding thing and scan it.  The cost of carrying a charger when I travel (I already charge my phone, tablet and laptop, so carrying another charger is no great hardship), having a battery and an SD card is a small price to pay for having my images onto my computer the same day I took them.

The half case has a fixed strap, and the camera no lugs.  This means if you wish to carry the camera naked, there are no straps so you need to be careful not to drop it  :o

So you use the half case.  It's nice, but it leaves you with a fixed strap and a thicker camera.  Big deal  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Changing the battery in the M60 is not really an issue, I never change it outside home as the power usage is so low I never need to carry a spare.

Without the case I use a Peak Design wrist strap attached to the tripod screw, works OK. You can also use one of those tripod mounted 'rapid access' straps without the case if needed.

The thing that I really like about the M60 is the stainless steel S'lux 35mm lens. It's really a great looking lens. The best one they have made imo.

• Like 1