M-D vs Edition 60

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The M60 Edition set is currently £9,600 or about €12,000 in the UK, at least until Thursday of next week. Last Saturday an M60 Edition set in A condition, offered at Westlicht Auction, failed to attract any bidders starting at €8,000. Has the market spoken?

William

The M60 Edition set is currently £9,600 or about €12,000 in the UK, at least until Thursday of next week. Last Saturday an M60 Edition set in A condition, offered at Westlicht Auction, failed to attract any bidders starting at €8,000. Has the market spoken?

William

Oh, I think so.  This isn't at all surprising.  That Leica made the M-D is rather surprising, if you consider the M 60 is being offered for less than the list price of the M-D and 35 Summilux.

If it had mechanical innards (I know, that would be an oxymoron), it might have been a different story.  Strip away the beautiful outside, and there's a bunch of electronics Leica will probably be unable/unwilling to fix.  This camera is for using ...

Turn the functions off, use gaffer tape?  Don't buy the crappy rebadged EVF, don't use live view?  That misses the point that adding that clutter and doing it less well than the rest of the camera detracts from its core functionality. 

Hardly different from your sticking on a case to replace the 'core functionality' of a camera strap.  And in the digital world, many feel that a screen is also part of that core functionality.  Others see it differently.

We're all alike, in that we each have our own tastes, preferences, peeves, etc.  And Leica has been smart enough to address that by providing lots of cameras to suit lots of different people.   And then help support a forum to debate it all.   Entertaining.

Jeff 

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

William

It did surprise me how badly the M60 has sold, especially when people seem very happy to lap up cosmetic only limited editions (e.g. Lenny Kravitz, titanium M's) for near twice the price. At least the M60 was substantially different and functionally unique, and as a package (lens, camera and leather case and strap) not outrageously more expensive than Leica branded items bought individually. (I even see down the bottom of this page an add for a white M9-P for only USD$37,000!)

I suppose things either catch on or they don't. I wonder if Leica had changed the M60 slightly would it have sold better? My feelings are inclusion of strap lugs (sorry John!), a less enormously conspicuous box (a modern sleek Leica branded aluminium case would have been ideal), a lighter lens (limited edition 50 APO would have been brilliant) and/or a 10% drop in price might have made all the difference.

I got mine at just under list price, soon after rejecting a dealer offering the 'first in Australia' for a 25% premium. Of course I could have waited and picked it up for much much less now, or got an M-D. Lucky not all my 'investments' have gone so badly.

Anyway, back to the OP's question, my advice is go for the M60 if you really want the limited edition 35'Lux (which is truly a work of art, and a brilliant lens). But if don't want that lens, or already have it in another form, go for the M-D.

cheers

• Like 2

William

Maybe the market has indeed spoken. As I've said before in a number of threads, one dealer in the UK is offering them for much less than the cost of an M-D and 35 'lux FLE, and for MUCH, MUCH less than £9600......and I know the dealer has a number of them stock.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe the market has indeed spoken. As I've said before in a number of threads, one dealer in the UK is offering them for much less than the cost of an M-D and 35 'lux FLE, and for MUCH, MUCH less than £9600......and I know the dealer has a number of them stock.

No question the market has spoken.

So, why hasn't it sold ? There seems to be demand for the M-D, but not the M60. Lugs? The 35 Summilux? The box? I know this is really odd, but when it was released, the white gloves and the formal video was a huge turn off. When that huge plastic box turned up, I wasnt that thrilled either.

That said, once I started using the camera, I forgot about all that.

I am intrigued though that even discounted, buyers seem to prefer the M-D over the M60.

When all is said and done, I'd pick the M-D over the ME60 for basically one reason other than cost: I prefer my M cameras to have a black, unadorned finish. I like the utilitarian appearance.

It's a ridiculously trivial and silly thing, but there you have it.  :D

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 2

Could you be so kind as to say which dealer this is, I'm interested.

EDIT: If uncomfortable about posting public, could you please PM me?  Thanks very much in advance!

Edited by kkonkkrete

Could you be so kind as to say which dealer this is, I'm interested.

EDIT: If uncomfortable about posting public, could you please PM me?  Thanks very much in advance!

reddotcameras.co.uk

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-bodies/7640-leica-m-typ-240-edition-leica-60-limited-edition.html

I buy a lot from them.

They were also the first to publish the Leica S-E+70mm kit at 7,999

enjoy!

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

They were selling it far too cheaply. If they had given it a "special limited edition" price it would have appealed to a different group of buyers.

Possibly but it would then have had to be a much more limited edition (say, 25 sets rather than 500). A lot of these digital special editions – e.g. Ralph Gibson Monochrom – seem to end up in the hands of dealers like Schouten or Breguet and I'm not sure they find them that easy to offload nowadays. Somebody recently tried to sell a Kravitz set in the classifieds here (for €20,000 or thereabouts) and I can only imagine how few serious enquiries the seller received. 

I think the M60 is very beautiful. Actually the nicest "limited run" Leica have done in some time for my taste

I would have bought it at the time but as it couldn't have been my sole M, due to its limitations, I couldn't afford it just as an extra occasional M body

Wouldn't say no to a discounted one in the future, or secondhand, but as has been said above I don't need the lens

As an extra body, I would get the M60 every time, but if it was my sole M digital body I would get the M-D ...

This is just about aesthetics: when the designer of something functional like a camera sacrifices an important if mundane function like strap lugs in return for better looks, that is the point at which he announces that the looks have become ornament. For that reason, the M-D is the more fully realised aesthetic object, and thus the one I'd prefer if I had to make a choice.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the link, looks like I was too late, oh well.  I'll just have to live with a nice sleek black, quiet shutter M-D.  Never mind!

as soon as I posted the link - whump, all gone :(

what about this one instead:

http://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-bodies/8160-leica-m-p-typ-240-set-edition-safari-summicron-35mm-f2.html

kind of cute

:D

Well, if I was buying again, I would go for the M60 and 35 package at those prices... but I would have liked the strap lugs... and I don't think it would have compromised the aesthetics of the camera at all... certainly less 'in the way' of the design than the case is.

I wonder if you could add them, post purchase? Do you think Leica would add them if you sent one in?