new to digilux 2

tonytree

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello forum I have just purchased a Digilux 2 and my first results are brilliant. Having read the many threads in this forum I am looking forward to using this camera. I have a few questions and any help will be much appreciated:

In the box came a disc - Leica software V3.1, what do I do with this?

Are there any know issues that I should be aware of other than wear and tear?

What type of memory disc ( not MB) do I need for Raw files or is any reputable make suitable to write the data quickly.

Tony

Congratulations with the new digilux 2

Most SD card will work fine. The Digilux 2 is not the fastest camera on earth so you need to practise Manuel focus for faster shooting (when needed)

I recommend RAW but it works nicely with jpg as well.

Tony, congratulations and welcome to the Exclusive D2 club....!!!

Couple hints:

a) search this forum in 2005/2006.... there is a lot of really good stuff on the D2.

B) the painted numbers on the lens barrel are a little susceptable to some people's finger-oils so try not to use your fingers on the printed numbers, use the cerrated finger grips on each aperature/zoom/focus rings.

c) some SD cards were reported to be thicker than others and do not slide in too well into the SD slot.

d) Super fast SD cards will NOT improve write speeds, as there is a HW speed limitation. They will however facilitate faster reads when you put them into a digital wallet (eg Vosonic)

e) Don't under estimate how good the inbuilt flash is. It is superb and you may not need an external flash.

f) Manual focus drops image capture lag from 500msecs to 94msecs.

Have fun..... in 2007despite being 3 year old technology, the D2 is still a wonderful image capturer and still surpasses many newer products.

Dugby (as usual) has stated the essentials.

Start by having a look at This digilux 2 thread.

I would add that at the highest quality/size the in-camera jpegs from the D2 are very good and if you need to do quick work then using jpeg and manual focus will get you moving! And the "stealth mode" is great! Oh - and stick as far as possible to ISO100!

Let us see some of your results in the Photo Forums and welcome to "The D2 Brotherhood"

The D2 is fantastic. I recently bought one as well, and I am enjoying it more each day. I don't know of any other digital camera that has remained the camera of choice this long for so many. Regarding storage, I have good results with a Sandisk 2GB Ultra II, which can be found pretty cheap these days. I agree with the others that the software is not very useful. I use Adobe Lightroom for RAW conversions. Hope you enjoy, and be sure to share some of your photos.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome to the club of DL2 users! :)

I`ve been working with the DL2 for three years now, and I think I will do so for several further years... :D

Most important things have been told already. From my point of view, I agree with them, with emphasis on manual focus, 100 ASA, finest jpg. Sometimes, I also use RAW, and then I process the files using RawShooter. I use a 2 GB card (High speed SD by Panasonic), and it works fine. Hm, what else to say? I use almost exclusively the electronic viewfinder, because it saves energy and I can correct it for my eyes. Without the display and without autofocus, the battery lasts for several hundred images. Nevertheless, I have bought myself a second battery, just to be sure... ;)

And yes, forget the software, you won't need it.

Best regards, Peter.

Hello Tony,

Congratulations, we all love our D2's so I am sure you will too. I think everything has been said already so in my personal experience I ONLY shoot Raw files @ iso 100. For my taste Raw @ iso 200 is just too noisy. I don't care about the 5-6 secs waiting because at the end I know I will have a wonderful file with deep colors and a wide tonal range. If I need speed then I would grab my D80, so take your time and enjoy it!

Ricardo

Hi, Tony, and again congratulations on your wise choice!

One thing that may not have been covered here yet is the superb macro images that the D2 produces (by itself). Even better if you can find a used Elpro-D close-up lens. Just get used to the D2's sedate pace and you'll find it hard to leave at home.

Pete.

Tony, congratulations; this is a great camera. One of it's best points is that you can set the shutter to be silent.

1. Not sure which disk it's on, but the ACDSee software is very good. I use it still to preview jpeg's (it chokes on big tiff's).

2. If you use an external flash, you can sync up to 1/250.

3. I find raw files superb in this camera. There is a 6-second wait time while they write, but it's worth it.

4. The problem with jpg's at higher iso speeds is that the camera smooths the shadows. This can cause smears in your image.

5. The sensor in this camera is 6.6 x 8.8 mm, I believe. I have a picture of my granddaughter cropped from about 1/10th of the image (less then 1x1 mm of sensor), shot in raw and blown up to 13x15. It is full of color and definition. This is a superb camera.

6. First drawback is the image-lag. If you are viewing thru the evf or using the display on the back, you cannot capture movement. The problem is that when you hit the shutter, the camera does a little electronic dance, changing from viewing mode to capture mode. This is indicated above (Dugby) to cost you about 0.4 seconds. In other words, when capturing movement, what you saw will be gone by the time the camera captures an image. This is easily solved by using an external viewfinder or merely looking over the camera.

7. Second drawback is the lack of an iso indicator. At first, I didn't notice this but it became more and more annoying over time. If you're shooting raw, not so bad to have an iso400 pic when you wanted one at iso100, but if it's a jpg you're capturing, you won't be happy. Make it a habit to check the iso speed if you have time.

Enjoy this superb camera. I second the vote for the Elpro-D. It's heavy, but superb. Great macro shots with this adapter.

Well thank you so much for all your enthusiatstic replies. BUT regretably I just could not use the camera. It is returning to the store. I found the images excellent but it would not suit the needs I had in mind for its use. I am currently working on a project that is web based and I thought that using a digital camera would make a short cut to avoid scans etc from my M films. The really big problem I found with the camera was the viewing screen. It was fine for static images but as soon as I needed to capture expressions, ( my project involves story telling to children ) I would be struggling. I suppose it proves the right equipment for each job. I did not want to get a cheap Digital SLR, as I am a Leica rangefinder man, full stop. thinking the D 2 would be a bridge. I will stick to my film and scanning (costs) at present. I thank you all for your input. I will post some images from folio taken with M for your consideration. Regards Tony

That's a shame.

One suggestion I can offer is to set the camera to series of 4 pictures at the time and shoot a lot of kids faces (in JPG). As there is a small delay and kids tend to move fast, I've found that method to work well.

But doing M work with film is also nice.

First drawback is the image-lag. If you are viewing thru the evf or using the display on the back, you cannot capture movement. The problem is that when you hit the shutter, the camera does a little electronic dance, changing from viewing mode to capture mode.

Disagree. Yet again! :)

Check out the first image here-

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/sports-leisure-time/26587-close-enough.html

I rely on the D2 for close-in racing shots and it is a pretty good tool. Turning off the auto gizmos helps. I always use the EVF, never the screen.

Why do folks keep saying that it's no good for moving objects? Can't understand it.:confused:

I think you may have answered my problems with the Digilux 2 for my way of photography.

I use M film cameras and before that Nikon SLR in a working experience of over 45 years. I have used large format and MF cameras for all my working life. I am so used to seeing what I will get on the film as I press the shutter release in 'real time' , albiet a little slower in SLR cameras. I love TLR cameras, you see the expressions as you shoot. To me that is the essence, to be connected. I found the ELV in the Digilux too remote from the 'moment' the LCD screen was not a usable item for me I am too used to direct eye contact, not holding the camera at arms length. The suggestion that I shoot extra frames detracts from my control or involvement of the situation/subject I am working in. I know motor driven cameras do exactly that but I try not to go down the road of taking lots and finding one that suits. I know it may sound purist but that is the way I work now. I spent 21 years on a newspaper and in difficult situations I 'squirted' the cameras with motor drives at many, many subjects and hoped that I had the image or expression. Now I can take a more measured approach to photography it is pure joy to observe and wait for the moment and capture it as best I can as it happens. I know more expensive DSLR cameras have no problems with the time lag or viewfinders. It is just that I found the Diglux, excellent though the images were it was not in real time for me. It is not a digital v film question for me but the correct camera for the project and this was not for me. Thanks for all the input. It has been interesting and stimulating.Tony

I have the wide, close up and ND adapters for my D2. I really use it mostly for travel photos now and love this camera. Too bad it is in repair for the sensor problem. I'm hoping it comes back as nice as it left me (only repaired). It does what I want and the pics are distinctive. I plan to use it as long as it continues to work.

I wish I could afford an M8 to use all of the screw mount and M lenses I have. I'll just keep using my M6 and film scanner for a few more years I guess.

True. I know what you mean.

One tend to develop a way of shooting with the tool one is using.

When using SLR and film I do it way differently. Some times the motor on my R8 shooting series of 3 (bracketing) wills save a good expression because the person blinked at that time in one or two of the frames.

But mostly one shot at the right time is what it takes. And you can clearly see with boht he R and the M what goes on in front of the camera.

With the D2 and shooting series of four I shoot a LOT and love movements of people while doing so (on stage, on a set, in a livingroom, kitchen, etc). It is highly unpredictable what you get. And for sure you can't see in the D2 viewer what the expressions are. Simply not.

But the series of 4 and doign a LOT of them will get you something worthwhile where the key term is 'unpredicted.' So that is a shooting style in its own developed because of the equipment.

Well thank you so much for all your enthusiatstic replies. BUT regretably I just could not use the camera. It is returning to the store. I found the images excellent but it would not suit the needs I had in mind for its use. I am currently working on a project that is web based and I thought that using a digital camera would make a short cut to avoid scans etc from my M films. The really big problem I found with the camera was the viewing screen. It was fine for static images but as soon as I needed to capture expressions, ( my project involves story telling to children ) I would be struggling. I suppose it proves the right equipment for each job. I did not want to get a cheap Digital SLR, as I am a Leica rangefinder man, full stop. thinking the D 2 would be a bridge. I will stick to my film and scanning (costs) at present. I thank you all for your input. I will post some images from folio taken with M for your consideration. Regards Tony

theres NOT shutter lag in manual focus mode and becouse of the small sensor you have a great depth of field wich i love. And if you are like me and use one focal length all the time. (im my case 28mm) you can use an external viewfinder like sean reid recomends. link here.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/leica-digilux2-part1.shtml