Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone! It's time to say hello. I've been lurking and learning on this forum for quite some time.

I recently came back from a three week trip to Asia (mostly in China, a couple of days in Seoul) with the Q being my sole camera. I must say that it performed superbly and met all my expectations in performance, image quality, portability, and more.

Here are the photos: http://portfolio.alexjiang.com/2016-Trip

This is the first trip during which I did not lug around my Canon DSLR, bag full of lenses, and a tripod. It's just so... liberating.

The sharpness and rendition of the lens is just top-notch, as one would expect.

Handheld HDR was completely doable thanks to 10 fps and the quiet, vibration-free leaf shutter. I even did several handheld HDR multi-row panos that had no problem being stitched together in Lightroom.

My only concern at this point is the threat to my wallet. Seeing the results I was getting while in Beijing, I couldn't help myself but to stop by the Leica store and checking out the M-P and them lenses...

But maybe the Q is all I need.

-alex

Fab. It's a great travel camera. Would be perfect if we don't have to worry about it not being weather resistant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alex, nice shots. It looks like you're enjoying the Q! You can't beat it as a travel camera. At times I lug a Canon 5DSr or a 1DX on trips. Traveling with just the Q is a nice break. Its really refreshing to only have one camera, fixed lens, and no other gadgets needed. I've been the route of other Leica bodies and multiple lenses. You may want to also check that out. What I did find was that whether it was a Leica, a Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, or whatever it presented the same issues. A heavy bag, many lenses and I'd have to stop to think about range, composition and which focal length to go with. I'll often change lenses for the same shot to gain a different perspective. What I'm forced to do with the Q is concentrate on composition only. You also have the option to drop back to 35mm and 50mm at a reduced pixel density. I often force myself to stay the widest I can and compose to get the shot. For me its nerve racking sometimes because I'm not the greatest wide angle shooter. The Q makes me do one thing  - become better with what I have in my hands.

@hawk.kat not sure what you mean?

Do you believe that you can safely take your "weather resistant" camera to the beach and leave it on the towel without fearing that it would die a horrible death of corrosion by salt inclusion or simply not work anymore because it got sand where the sun doesn't shine?

There is no "standard" (as in IP68) for the marketing claim of a camera being "weather resistant".

The manufacturer simply applies some rubber seals where he sees fit and then calls the camera "resistant". Now, if you give google a search, you'll find thousands of reports of people who had to pay the repairs after they sent in their broken camera because it got wet in the rain, or died of corrosion at the beach. (which usually happens months/years after the visit to the beach)

As long as you don't rinse it or leave it in the sand, the Q will be as fine as any other camera out there.

Great pics and great camera ! Thanks for sharing !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice pictures, thanks a lot for sharing. I recognize many of the places as I have been visiting this area quite a bit too. You captured the mood of Zhangjiajie so well!

I just added an M system, coming from a Canon DSLR system that I am keeping. But I see the same liberating feeling that you describe, though I have not reached the level of simplicity of the Q (yet).