Your favorite Leica lens?

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I will give “favorite” status to the lens that lured me to try, and then buy into, the Leica M system, a pre-owned Summilux-M 50mm ASPH, found in the display case at Houston Camera Exchange, in Texas. I might never have discovered the others, had I not been tempted to try this one. 

Previously, my first lens, the 35 summicron mk4 for sentimental reasons.

In use, latterly, the 50 Summicron Mk5 as I've morphed into a 50 kinda guy (a focal length that just never sat right with me when I used to use SLRs).

The 50 Summilux asph in terms of rendering

If I had to choose one, as I do when hiking,  I'd go for the 35/2

Pete

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2017 at 8:44 PM, Milan_S said:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

SL + Noctilux-M f/0.95 ASPH

My favorite lenses:

50mm Noctilux-M f/0.95 ASPH on SL

75mm Summilux-M f/1.4 on MM

70mm Summarit-S f/2.5 CS on S

Nice. The top corners dont have such a bokeh effect. 

Was that intended?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ha, that's a really hard question. 

If you force me to choose by, probably death, penalty, I would certainly go for my 35mm FLE. 

After checking my Lightroom statistics that stays to be very true

1st, by a good margin (double the shots of the 2nd place): SL 35 FLE (most of the time on my camera, preferred FL)

2nd, surprisingly: 28mm Summaron (miracle lens, the more I use it, the more I love it)

3rd, nearly the same amount of photos: Summilux 50 asph (oh, what a lens ... )

4th, half the number of shots of the 50 Summilux: 21mm SEM - but I love that lens so much

5th, with a good distance: Elmarit 90mm (highly underrated lens)

So it should be easy: 35 FLE, but never try to separate me from my other lenses - I will go wild 😉

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 1

Tough call. After experimenting with lots of Leica lenses over the years, I have two Leica lenses now: Cron 35 v4 and Cron 50 v5. I love both of these lenses, classics that I use on my MM1. I like these two lenses' similar signatures and compactness. I use the 35 more these days, but would be torn to choose a favorite, thanks to Walter Mandler's brilliant design work.

• Like 1

I used to say the 28mm Summicron, but these days I’ll add the 35mm Summilux pre-asph, two compact lenses that are complimentary because they are so different. 

One on the M-P and one on the MP. 

Edited by smkoush

Id have to say the lens that has stayed with me for 40+ years a 35 Summilux Canada. But now with the CL the 23 Summicron stays on the camera the most, just like the 35 field of view.  Summilux on my CL

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Day-to-day:

50 APO.....it is a lens that constantly surprises; colors are true-to-life, resolution and contrast at the point of focus is more a slice of memory than a manipulated image. A sublime and profound design statement by Herr Karbe, just as the 75 Summilux was for Dr Mandler 

21 SEM.....ditto above, I marvel at its images

For versatility and flexibility for travel:

MATE........self explanatory, again a marvel of engineering and aesthetics, despite some of the unavoidable design compromises

• Like 1

1) Summicron 50 Rigid - built like a very agile small tank and a huge pleasure to use

2) Summilux 35 pre-asph

- both of these particularly wonderful in B&W

3) Summilux-M 75/Summilux-R 80

- magic wands for portraits, with exquisite colour.  Every time I download the files from these siblings I am blown away.

I can give you mine in descending order. Note a bias to Mandler 1980s lenses - they just reproduce color and draw in a way I have missed ever since my 1970s Canon FD lenses (and are smaller and lighter and usually even better). Based also on which ones I've sold least and/or gone back to soonest.

1. 21 f/2.8 Elmarit-M - my main "money lens." Never thought of selling it since I got it as my first M lens 18 years ago. First lens I sent for 6-bit coding in 2006. I could go through life with nothing else if I had to.

3. 135 f/4 Tele-Elmar - shame it's an f/4, but such is rangefinder life. In the right light (and even more so since getting ISO 10000 with the M10) I vastly prefer it to a 90 of any speed.

4. 75 f/1.4 Summilux - came late to this, mostly because of price and unpredictability on film. Once I got an M9, it became invaluable, since it gives me three lenses in one: fast short tele for dim light, beautful portrait lens in any light, close-focusing studio still-life lens. Thus combining a 50 f/1.4, 90 f/2, and 90 Macro (or some other 75 with 0.7m focusing) in one purchase. Sometimes the weight is an issue, most of the time not. When weight is an issue, I go to...

5. 50 Zeiss ZM Planar. In my experience slightly sharper than the current Summicron, at least in the center at f/2, and cheap. A new Leica focal length for me (excepting the M8 years) - haven't used a 50 regularly since about 1978.

2. Out of position because I don't actually have one at the moment - 35 Summicron v.4 (sold once too often; now they are expensive and difficult to find with 6-bit coding - would you believe I found one in medium condition for $695 back in 2001?). A 35 Voigtlander Nokton f/1.4 is filling in until I find a 'cron ready to roll.

(6 - in the warm-up box. If I run across a pristine 90mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M ("thin") it will be tempting. The last one I tried was a lemon - far more pincushion-distortion and corner smearing than in some other copies I've had - must have been a bad day in Midland (ELCAN). Most of the time if I carry one of these with the 135, I always prefer the 135 shots. But if I'm absolutely sure I won't need the 135 "perspective"/reach or 75 speed/close-focus, an insanely small lens for the specs, and a better third-wheel with the 21/35 combo than the 50, for my purposes.)

• Like 4

To me, it must be a 50mm Summilux, because that’s the most versatile and average lens I can think of.

But I am really torn between the ASPH and pre-ASPH. I prefer the sharpness from the ASPH and the unsharpness from the pre-ASPH. And to make the confusion complete, I am now also torn between the ordinary ASPH and the Black Chrome version. I prefer the focusing and handling of the Black Chrome, but I don’t like the big, separate sunshade, and that I cannot just put on a lens cap directly on the lens. So the choice between the two is driving me nuts.

But the one lens I for sure will never get rid of, is the pre-ASPH E46, so this is probably my number one lens.