Your favorite Leica lens?

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Summilux 35 asph pre-fle sums up in my opinion (at least for the time being... ,-) to represent the best ¨blend¨ of all the qualities I can be looking for in lenses. However, the lens that has overwelmed me the most by its delightful drawing is the 24 elmarit asph.

PS: the only lens I sold without regretting it, was the 28 elmarit asph

Edited by Stein K S
  • Like 2

The Summilux 35 asph pre-fle sums up in my opinion (at least for the time being... ,-) to represent the best ¨blend¨ of all the qualities I can be looking for in lenses. However, the lens that has overwelmed me the most by its delightful drawing is the 24 elmarit asph.

PS: the only lens I sold without regretting it, was the 28 elmarit asph

Having just let go of a 35mm summilux pre-asph and acquired a 28mm elmarit asph, I concur. 

The 35mm summilux pre-asph has that special something that makes it really ... special.

On the other hand, the 28mm elmarit asph is less special, or generic?

Having said that, I don't regret letting go of the 35mm summilux pre-asph, and I'm really enjoying the 28mm elmarit asph. They're all mass produced items that can easily be bought again if the need/want arises, so there's no regret anyway. I don't miss the 35mm summilux pre-asph though.

Now I need to find a 24mm elmarit asph... Damn this place.

• Like 2

Good question but the awnser is not as easy it seams to be! Favorite for what? 

1. Most used lens (= general purpose) = 35LUX
  2. Wedding photography = 50NOCTILUX
  3. Light wight travel = MATE
  4. Portrait = 75LUX
  5. "Best" lens = 50APO
  6. Architecture = 21SEM
  7. Low light = 35LUX
  8. Street = 24ELMAR

Good question but the awnser is not as easy it seams to be! Favorite for what? 

• Most used lens (= general purpose) = 35LUX
  • Wedding photography = 50NOCTILUX
  • Light wight travel = MATE
  • Portrait = 75LUX
  • "Best" lens = 50APO
  • Architecture = 21SEM
  • Low light = 35LUX
  • Street = 24ELMAR
I see a hole in your world - Point and Shoot = 28 Summaron

Advertisement (gone after registration)

an example....

Albert  :lol:  :D  :lol:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by albertknappmd

Every time I come back to this thread I feel like I've tried a dozen more lenses. 

At the moment I am using one focal length, but two lenses. I have the 35 Summilux FLE and a Canon 35mm f/2 LTM II. Very different characters / handling / size overall.

I don't know that the 35 Summilux will be my favorite yet, but I do think it is very good overall.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Probably my 35 summilux pre asph. I love it wide open for certain portraits with good bokeh, but closed down it becomes super sharp. Nice travel lens. Honestly it's hard to call my lenses favourite because in certain moods I love 'm all.  I tend to collect. For instance I have The zeiss 50 1.5 sonnar for portraits, but I also have the Leica summilux 50 pre asph (last version). God knows why!  Love them both, both similar. Maybe the sonnar is better for portraits.

• Like 2

My affair with Leica started in 2017 with a 50 Summilux.

Back in my students days in the late 70's early 80's my only lens and therefore my favorite lens was the 50mm f1.7 SMC-M on the venerable Pentax K-1000 (fitting that I chose the 50 - albeit the Summilux as my first Leica lens)

1-Noctilux-M 50mm f1...... For ethereal images at f1... And very special glow invisibly percepted by the eyes until f2.8...

2-Summilux-M 75mm f1.4....... For subtle colours, unsual rendering and that special glow again invisibly percepted by the eyes..

3-Summicron-M 90mm f2.. At f2 for the Leica glow, and at f5.6 for subtle colour tones.. This lens sometimes gives me even better results than Summilux-M 75mm!

4- Summilux-m 35mm Pre-Asph... Between f1.4-2 for the very visible Leica glow, dreamy rendering..

5-Leica Tele-Elmar 135mm f4... For the Orange and Blue colours, and very special rendering of the out of focus plane.

6- Nikon 50mm f1.2 AIS...... For a special cool blue, and white colour tones.. (This lens also has a very special rendering, specifically of colours, a 'cheap' jewel crown!).

7-Zeiss Distagon T 28mm f2.... Very cinematic, 3D image rendering which I couldn't get from any other lenses so far, including Leica 28s..

Edited by Metin Colak
  • Like 3

I've owned pretty much every version of the 35mm & 50mm summicron and summilux, and there's only two lenses I ever regret selling:

1) Summicron 35mm 8 elements

2) Summicron collapsible 50mm

That's why I bought them again and will never sell them : ) That being said if I really had to have just one lens and nothing else for the rest of my life, the lux 35mm fle is the most versatile.