My Leica R5 with some lenses

mbphotox

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some time ago I started a blog (www.mbphotox.wordpress.com) about adapted 50mm lenses on my Canon DSLR. A Leica 50 was on my wishlist for half a year and when I finally went out to buy one, I came home with an Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 because the Cron had been picked up by another guy right before I arrived at the store.

A few months later, I found a great offer online and bought an Elmarit-R 28mm and finally also the Summicron-R 50mm I had been looking for.

Having three lenses, I figured "why not get back into shooting film?", and so I started looking for a suitable Leica R body.

The SL2 was not an option since all my lenses are R-only, and the R6 was simply too damn expensive. R3 to R5 it was..

I stumbled upon this expensive offer that had been online for weeks, by a guy who wanted to sell his pristine Summicron-R 90mm together with a near-mint Leica R5...

I ended up talking him down by 20% and bought the package :D

Loaded a roll of Superia 200 last night and am looking forward to the results.

Here are some pics (more can be found on the blog)

The baseplate shows slight signs of wear, the brass shines through at some areas, but other than that it's perfect.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

My lenses, without the 90mm, I've still got to take pictures of that one. But it only arrived 2 days ago.

Edited by mbphotox
  • Like 2

My signature lens "portrait"

I really like adapted glass, for the great haptics and manual focus, and because the rendering isn't so sterile. Also, having such a compact "street lens" makes for a more "covert" shooting experience. That is, until the shutter fires..

This combo isn't much fun to handle, though.. I hope it'll be better on my gripped X-T10

• Like 1

Thank you for the warm welcome:)

I've got two little questions already:

- Where can I get an eyecup for the R5, at a reasonable price? (i paid 10 bucks with shipping for the thing for my Nikon F2, which comprises of a glass lens and the actual rubber eyecup, so I wouldn't want to pay more than that for a simple piece of rubber for the Leica, I'm fine with 3rd party stuff.)

- Is there such a thing as a cap for the hood? (meaning the lens hood from my 28mm Elmarit) and can I get the cap for the lens separately? (it's broken because of the metal pins that hold the hood)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stuff like the hood cap and rubber eye cup can be found from 3rd party vendors, but you have to make sure the item is a true match.  Lots of vendors will list the same item for many different cameras.  Now the lens cap is somewhat of a Leica exclusive I would think, basically because the economies of scale of making those slotted caps is just not worth it.  You'll just have to shop around, contact different camera shops through their web sites to see if anyone has what you need.  Some shops may even have baskets full of caps and hoods you could rummage through.

Happy hunting.

PF

• Like 1

Hood cap might be a challenge, it is rectangular after all.

Hood for the lens bare, not so hard, do what PF suggested, rummage. Find one that fits, and then cut some slots. Caps I have had in the past for this same requirement have been slotted, not sure if "factory slotted, or DIY slotted" but slotted nevertheless.

Gary

Okay, thanks guys.

I'll contact my dealer right away..

The original strap is in the box with the camera, but "ugly" is too gentle a description.

I thought about getting a Gordy's strap.

But what colour combination would be best?

This is my wrist strap on the F2.

I would get a neckstrap, though.

And I'm not so sure if black with red thread would fit that well, even though the camera screams for it :D

I just took the time to take some pictures for two upcoming blog articles.

Here it finally is, a shot that shows my Leica R5 with some lenses B)

• Like 4

I wrote some blog posts regarding my Leica gear and each lens with loads of images of the items in question, my personal findings and impression.

I will add more sample images as soon as I get to shoot again. (although most will be digital, courtesy of my Canon 1Ds III)

Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8

Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8

Summicron-R 50mm f/2

Summicron-R 90mm f/2

the Leica R5

Your feedback would be highly appreciated.

If you'd like to know more things or would want to see a certain information in my articles, feel free to tell me.

I'm at a loss here..

The user manual decided to keep this a secret and I really want to know now:

How can I select very slow shutter speeds on T and M modes?

I know the camera goes down to 15s in A modes, but the shutter speed wheel only goes to 1/2s..

With my Nikon F2 I have to use the self timer for this, but I don't think this works for the Leica?

Figured it out, with some help..

Leica obviously decided that the advanced user shooting in manual mode wasn't advanced enough to be able to chosr long shutter speeds, you can only use the ones on the dial. (and bulb, obviously)

I also got my Gordy's strap yesterday and it fits perfectly.

Still no hit on the search for an eyecup, but Leica Switzerland offered me a brand new one for 60$..

I'm not tempted, to be honest..

They figured it out with accessory pricing for the Q, why can't they adopt that for other camera series?

That does look indeed pretty charming.

I use a blackrapid tripod mounted strap with my R8, its a real bummer that camera's straplugs are located so....stupidly. having a normal strap on it chaffes your fingers, what where they thinking....

• 1 month later...

Got my first ever colour film developped and scanned it myself on my Pacific Image PrimeFilm XE scanner (that I brought home from Canada last week)

It was more of a test film, with loads of different scenarios where I brought the camera along to take some pictures.

Summicron-R 50mm late afternoon, heavily clouded day

28274953113_2c267bb813_z.jpg

same, on a sunny day

28785577672_5d616d4087_z.jpg

The Summicron-R 50mm at the lake during the sunset

28814922621_fcd1770fa9_z.jpg

the 28mm Elmarit-R, I like sunsets

28814922951_5ce81a5144_z.jpg

28859082946_f88b369a72_z.jpg

• Like 2