SL fw upgrade without lens

KariP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone!

Today I received my SL + 24-90mm lens. I upgraded the body firmware to 2.0 before even attaching the lens.

My question is: should I have done it with the lens - is it's firmware included somehow in the 2.0?

I come from Olympus E-series world where the bodies and lenses have separate fws and the lenses need to be attached to have their fw upgraded.

Do I do it again with the lens on or is this OK?

SL is fantastic compared to M(240)+EVF!

Kari

Olympus certainly send out the firmware updates for their bodies and lenses separately. The only problem is that you have to do this with the camera, lens concerned attached, plugged into a computer and Olympus still over a year later, have not got round to updating their FW updating software, so that it will run on El Capitan - Doh! Luckily I have an old iMac which will not update beyond Lion 10.7.5, so I can use that. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson,

I've had no problem doing the Olympus E-M1 firmware updates for v4.0 using El Capitan. Matter of fact, I just ran their software updater this morning, updated the E-M1 to firmware v4.1, then ran Olympus Viewer 3 and updated it and Olympus Capture to the latest versions, all running on macOS El Capitan v10.11.5: 

Olympus_SW.jpg

The camera updater for El Capitan was released October 11, 2015; I installed it November 7, 2015. Capture and Viewer 3 were refreshed more recently. 

Updating firmware on the camera and updating all their software took ten minutes from start to finish.

Edited by ramarren
  • Like 1

Ramarren,

I have  been trying to use the firmware updater software, not Oly Capture. I asked Olympus when they were going to update the FW updater software and they told me they did not know. What, of course, they should have told me is that the Capture software, which I have never bothered installing, would do the FW updating job now. Thanks for the heads up on that. I will install Olympus Capture. 

Some of these help desks are complete idiots. I have been having similar issues with Samsung on my new 4K UHD  K8500 Blu-Ray player. I told Samsung I had downloaded a smart app in error and could not delete it, explaining the steps I had taken that did not work. They came back to me telling to repeat exactly the same steps that did not work. AVS forum confirmed that a number of other owners had also been unable to delete smart apps other than doing a total factory reset (which I did in the end) and that Samsung's help had just repeated the instructions which we all know don't work. Still I suppose pay peanuts and you get monkeys. 

Wilson

Hmm. This is ferociously OT for the Leica SL forum, but eh? ... 

Olympus Firmware Updater was the software that updated Olympus E-1 and other models prior to the E-5 (2007). It's been obsolete for a long long time. 

Olympus Digital Camera Updater is what replaced OFU. Bad news is that it no longer supported the E-1 (which made me scramble in 2008 when I got my E-1s to find an older system so I could update them to their last firmware rev); good news is that it was much more reliable. They've been pretty good about keeping ODCU up to date; the El Capitan compatible revision came out just a month or so after El Capitan was released. 

Olympus Studio and the later Olympus Studio II used to do image management, raw processing, software/firmware updating, and tethered camera control. They killed the tethered camera control with its replacement, Olympus Viewer, most likely because only the pro SLR bodies supported tethered operation after the E-3 and it was too much trouble to keep testing it for the few users that needed it. There were a couple other tethering solutions available for a while, but I think they're all gone now. Olympus Viewer went to 2 and now 3 ... again, they've done a decent job of keeping it up to date even if it is a pretty clunky app. But it works okay and it does everything but tethering. 

Olympus Capture came out last year (note: two full years after the E-M1 shipped, replacing the E-5) and finally restored a full tethering solution for the E-M1 body, which a lot of people wanted/needed; silly not to have it for the E-M1 for so long since there is a small but solid pro user base for Olympus gear that uses all these sorts of things. I didn't realize that Olympus Capture could do body firmware updating too, but such it is. 

Despite that I have barely used my E-M1 since the M-P arrived at the beginning of 2015, and then the SL in Nov 2015, I'm very reluctant to sell the system off. Olympus pro-grade lenses, as well as the Panasonic-Leica lenses for Micro-FourThirds, are top-notch and the E-M1 is a treasure trove of capabilities in a compact, pro-built, lightweight package. For long tele work and for macro work, the E-M1 is a delight. It's at the far opposite end of the spectrum from the Leica M-D being a magic-wurlitzer of customization options, features, etc., but is really a fine camera to work with. 

Support services ... Well, almost all camera industry folks have scrimped and shaved down staff to a bare minimum. Leica USA remains pretty good, and between Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, and Panasonic in the USA, I'll take Olympus any day over the others. Luckily, I've needed very little service from any of them: my cameras just seem to keep on working fine no matter how much I try to make them screw up. The Leica M9 sensor corrosion was the biggest service event I've seen out of any camera in a decade or more. Just lucky I guess.  :D

Edited by ramarren