What strap do you use?

HenrikP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

No, they’ve already explained.

Jeff

If so, it wouldn't be the first time I'd be sceptical about Leica's explanation for some style over substance decision. It really isn't possible to design a £6000-£7500 camera where you have to resort to leather washers to stop the strap causing ugly wear in normal use? The M10 has only been out for 5 years, so it's not as if that wear has come from decades of hard use.

23 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

If so, it wouldn't be the first time I'd be sceptical about Leica's explanation for some style over substance decision. It really isn't possible to design a £6000-£7500 camera where you have to resort to leather washers to stop the strap causing ugly wear in normal use? The M10 has only been out for 5 years, so it's not as if that wear has come from decades of hard use.

I edited my post in the interim.  Design decisions are rarely simple, even within the company, as various exec interviews over the years have revealed vigorous internal debates. The ‘brutal’ design of the original SL was one such debate, a design which Stefan Daniel even said might have gone a bit too far.  More recently, the new 35 APO M Summicron was initially spec-ed at 70cm MFD by the marketing team, and only later changed to 30cm when the tech side said it was feasible.  I’m sure this helped justify its exclusivity and the $9k price tag, but surely complicated production capability.  

I’m glad I don’t have to make these decisions…years before hitting market… in an increasingly competitive, even dying, industry.  Not to mention supply chain issues for parts… now excluding plastic protectors.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 1

If you like the 14312 Leica strap, then this is even better. IMO the safest strap on the market because it doesn’t slip off the shoulder like a lot of the silk/fancy leather ones do (for me at least). And I’m still using several of their previous model (when the company was called up-strap) fifteen plus years later. 

https://journeycamera.com/camera-carry-system/small-f-friendship-pad-upstrap

I use this eddycam strap. Very soft, moose leather. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 3:05 AM, Ko.Fe. said:

6 years later... 

My M-E was purchased new in 2016,

I still use odd quality Leica strap it came with. Nylon is breaking on it, . Grippy rubber bar is still OK. 

But due to soft lugs, I have to run parachute strap via lugs, attached to normal rings on the strap (Leica fasteners are utter garbage, they un-latched twice). 

It should stop wearing of lugs. 

It is pity nobody makes M8/9/M-E half case with strap attached to it.  

I bought a Angelo Pelle half case with extra long strap for my ME. 
https://www.angelo-pelle.com/product/case-leica-m-m-p-monochrom-m-e-typ-240-246-262

it is wonderful 

1 hour ago, adespen said:

I bought a Angelo Pelle half case with extra long strap for my ME. 
https://www.angelo-pelle.com/product/case-leica-m-m-p-monochrom-m-e-typ-240-246-262

it is wonderful 

It doesn’t look like it has something I wrote about. Half case and strap as one piece. Eveready or how it was called.