What strap do you use?

HenrikP

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suggest you look at Deadcameras. Rather than post a photograph of my strap, you can see the range on their website. Also - if you perform a search in this forum for 'Deadcamera' you will find a post full of comments from happy customers (and a photograph of mine!) I have no connection with the company, by the way!

• 6 years later...

6 years later... 

My M-E was purchased new in 2016,

I still use odd quality Leica strap it came with. Nylon is breaking on it, . Grippy rubber bar is still OK. 

But due to soft lugs, I have to run parachute strap via lugs, attached to normal rings on the strap (Leica fasteners are utter garbage, they un-latched twice). 

It should stop wearing of lugs. 

It is pity nobody makes M8/9/M-E half case with strap attached to it.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/19/2022 at 1:05 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

(Leica fasteners are utter garbage, they un-latched twice). 

Never when properly seated and locked in place.  I’ve used the Leica 14312 (or equivalent) strap with plastic fasteners since the 1980’s, without fail, after reading the camera manual instructions. In fact, I’ve replaced all my stock M straps with these.  Always good to quickly inspect gear before venturing out IMO.

Jeff

• Like 2

On 8/19/2022 at 6:05 PM, Ko.Fe. said:

6 years later... 

My M-E was purchased new in 2016,

I still use odd quality Leica strap it came with. Nylon is breaking on it, . Grippy rubber bar is still OK. 

But due to soft lugs, I have to run parachute strap via lugs, attached to normal rings on the strap (Leica fasteners are utter garbage, they un-latched twice). 

It should stop wearing of lugs. 

It is pity nobody makes M8/9/M-E half case with strap attached to it.  

Luigi Crescenzi makes a half case for early Barnacks (with no lugs) with strap attached. He might make one for a M9/ME if you ask.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 8:40 AM, Jeff S said:

Never when properly seated and locked in place.  I’ve used the Leica 14312 (or equivalent) strap with plastic fasteners since the 1980’s, without fail, after reading the camera manual instructions. In fact, I’ve replaced all my stock M straps with these.  Always good to quickly inspect gear before venturing out IMO.

Jeff

I have Leica authorized store person to reattach it. It unlocked later on just as at first time.   

11 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

I have Leica authorized store person to reattach it. It unlocked later on just as at first time.   

Bad service people everywhere.  I can guess what they did wrong. Or you had the rare bad luck with a malfunctioning strap, which has been used successfully by Leica for decades. I’ve used the strap on at least 10 cameras since the 1980’s without fail.  Many others here replace their newer M straps with it.  But it’s finally been discontinued…I bought another.

Jeff

15 hours ago, Jeff S said:

Bad service people everywhere.  I can guess what they did wrong.

What do you think they did wrong? I mean, it's not as if it is difficult, making sure the plastic sleeves clip into place.

It looked fairly obvious to me, pushing the sleeves properly home, and I never had any problems with coming loose. But a large enough number of people have reported problems with the strap that I assumed there were some sleeves that, because of manufacturing failings, failed to stay clipped.

Dead Camera Slim Strap in black. I bought one last year for one of my M's now I've this strap fitted on most of my cameras, Leica M's and two others..........They are the straps that I find to be the best alternative to the Leica 14312 nylon / rubber shoulder pad ones that I have used for many years on the M's even forgoing the leather straps that came with some of my new Leica M bodies. If I hadn't found Dead Camera I'd still be using the 14312's.

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

What do you think they did wrong? I mean, it's not as if it is difficult, making sure the plastic sleeves clip into place.

It looked fairly obvious to me, pushing the sleeves properly home, and I never had any problems with coming loose. But a large enough number of people have reported problems with the strap that I assumed there were some sleeves that, because of manufacturing failings, failed to stay clipped.

Positioning the strap correctly over the clip before locking in place, and being sure it’s locked by feeling/hearing a click. 

Jeff

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Positioning the strap correctly over the clip before locking in place, and being sure it’s locked by feeling/hearing a click. 

Jeff

Exactly - it’s not difficult, which is why I have thought a lack of precision in manufacture a more likely cause of failure than human error. 

It's a shame they dropped the 14312, a practical and well-designed strap I've always found to be secure. Richard Caplan put one on my M6 at some point in the 2000s and it's been there ever since. It works very well with the plastic protectors on the sides of the top plate they also dropped after the M9. Now I see a lot of secondhand M10s with significant strap wear, as if Leica have forgotten how they solved the same problem back in 1986.

8 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Exactly - it’s not difficult, which is why I have thought a lack of precision in manufacture a more likely cause of failure than human error. 

It’s also easy to align the strap slightly askew, so that the protector seems locked, but doesn’t fully click in place.  Not rocket science, but attention required. 

Jeff

3 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

It works very well with the plastic protectors on the sides of the top plate they also dropped after the M9. 

Dropped to add better weather sealing, as the protectors were integral to the body, not glued on.  I’ve addressed the issue by adding a small leather ‘donut’ over each strap lug before securing the 14312 strap on my M10 Monochrom and M10-R black paint, so far without any wear.

Jeff

28 minutes ago, Jeff S said:

Dropped to add better weather sealing, as the protectors were integral to the body, not glued on.  I’ve addressed the issue by adding a small leather ‘donut’ over each strap lug before securing the 14312 strap on my M10 Monochrom and M10-R black paint, so far without any wear.

If I get an M10 I'll probably do the same. But I don't think it's outside the bounds of current engineering technology to design a means of attaching a protector that doesn't compromise the weather sealing. I suspect they got rid of them because the designer thought the camera looked better without them (at least on the display model that nobody has used yet).

9 minutes ago, Anbaric said:

I suspect they got rid of them because the designer thought the camera looked better without them (at least on the display model that nobody has used yet).

No, as Jono and others have already explained.. along with other M10 top plate changes…

https://www.slack.co.uk/leica-m10.html

But looks, and lower costs, probably didn’t hurt the decision.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S