CV25P Snapshot Skopar - Pleasant 32mm on M8

MP3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After viewing Seans' 24/25mm review and some online pics from the new CV25P at RFF, I bought mine. It is now on my M8. First round of pics shows a very pleasant moderate wide angle view from this M8/25mm combo eff. 32-33mm, long missed.

I've talked to myself I got 21 and 28, so 24/25 may be a bit redundant. Right from my first shot, the fov, framing ergonomics and dop for snapshot is so pleasant. Color and contrast is also Leitz-like IMHO. Contrast is well between Leitz and Zeiss. At f4, this gem already delivered respectable sharpness & resolution corner to corner.

On M8, 28 Cron seems a bit tight for a general purpose WA. The strange thing is 21 seems a bit wider than 28 in 35mm format. Really hope Leica bring out a new compact 24mm. Current one though stella, is a bit bulk. After they made the super compact 28/2.8 asph, it should not to difficult to do it again on 24mm.

Happy shoting...

My quick street shots are nothing inspiring, just want post up the pleasant fov of this RF coupled gem and share some of my excitement with you here... and it is just USD320 with the rectangular hood =)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

After viewing Seans' 24/25mm review and some online pics from the new CV25P at RFF, I bought mine. It is now on my M8. First round of pics shows a very pleasant moderate wide angle view from this M8/25mm combo eff. 32-33mm, long missed.

I've talked to myself I got 21 and 28, so 24/25 may be a bit redundant. Right from my first shot, the fov, framing ergonomics and dop for snapshot is so pleasant. Color and contrast is also Leitz-like IMHO. Contrast is well between Leitz and Zeiss. At f4, this gem already delivered respectable sharpness & resolution corner to corner.

On M8, 28 Cron seems a bit tight for a general purpose WA. The strange thing is 21 seems a bit wider than 28 in 35mm format. Really hope Leica bring out a new compact 24mm. Current one though stella, is a bit bulk. After they made the super compact 28/2.8 asph, it should not to difficult to do it again on 24mm.

Happy shoting...

My quick street shots are nothing inspiring, just want post up the pleasant fov of this RF coupled gem and share some of my excitement with you here... and it is just USD320 with the rectangular hood =)

Cool, I own the non RF-coupled version but will be testing the other this summer.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean

I always enjoy your review. The cornerfix and the upcoming batch process mode is a catalyst for me to take up this CV25. Thanks again for your collaboration with Sandy. He is real generous in offering us this great tool. Hope we can gather a profile library before long.

Though I wear glasses, I can see the entire 24 frame and even a bit beyond. No need to switch to external 28 view is a plus.

Matthew

Matthew,

I picked up a Voigtlander Color Skopar 25mm F4 P right when they came out earlier this month in the states. I have a Leica Elmarit-M 24mm ASPH but something tells me I should have just gone with Voigtlander lenses first and Leica lenses second, and only if it was really deemed necessary for my type of work.

I either shoot outdoors, on bright sunny days, or inside with a flash. Additionally, I'm into both near and far objects being in focus, so the slower speed of the Color Skopar 25mm F4 P is of little issue for me.

The real attraction, for me, is in the size. Any quality difference between the Voigtlander and Leica is generally overshadowed by the differences in weight and size. My Elmarit-M 24mm ASPH is now reserved for only my most demanding work, or when I know it is the only focal length I’ll need or want to carry. There's just something about the added agility that a smaller, lighter lenses provides which enhances the mechanics of my picture talking. It’s somewhat Zen like.

And, BTW, the optically quality of the Color Skopar 25mm F4 P is more than I could have expected.

I just picked up an extra Leica 39mm UV/IR filter, for the lens, and will be attempting to self-code it as an Elmarit 24mm within the next day or two, although I’m attracted to the idea of actually having the bayonet flange milled with recesses a la John Milich style. I don’t know if this is feasible for the Voigtlander M-mount lenses, but John Milich does list this service for Zeiss and older Leica M-mount lenses.

Geoff

myspace.com/geoffotos

MP3, I myself settled onm a Skopar Snapshot (39mm/bajonet ring - so not rangefinder coupling) 25 mm lens several years ago.

I was allowed to buy it without the sighting oculair for on top of my M6: it is not needed because the lens covers the whole visible field! And on my M8 it is the same story again: the lens covers about the whole field that is visible. So it is practical. And righly being called the snapshot, it is easy just to set the distance by hand. So having just that little, light lens is really handsome for a backpack (or pocket).

The quality is OK: nice DOF, very good horizons/falling lines, but if there is just some sun falling near the lens it starts immediately to give reflections (glare). So it does not come near a 'real' lens (a.k.a. a Leica lens).

The Skopar works good when there is a fast film. The graininess helps it. So on negative film it works OK.

However on the M8 and having an 160 - 320 ASA setting, my images show a certain softness. The M8 is really unforgiving! Of course this can be that the distance setting is somewhat more difficult by hand. So personally in some time in the coming years I might upgrade for the 28/2.8.

Cool, I own the non RF-coupled version but will be testing the other this summer.

Cheers,

Sean

I always appreciate Sean's work and opinions. Here are non-artistic neighborhood shots with my CV 25mm P without the benefit of coding, using an IR cut filter. I have included a center 100% crop as well of this unexciting picture. Seems to be very sharp to my uses!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Goeff, yes the compact sweet size is a real joy esp with a rangefinder. With 21asph, sometimes I thought I was carrying an DSLR, though the Leitz 21 and 24 are incomparable in terms of image.

Alberti, I do see the CV is less flare resistant than Leitz including this 25P. But for sharpness and resolution, I'm fine with its horsepower.

John, yes I would email Milich these 2 days to see if he could help to do the millling on the CV bayonet flange.

Cheers

Matthew

The quality is OK: nice DOF, very good horizons/falling lines, but if there is just some sun falling near the lens it starts immediately to give reflections (glare). So it does not come near a 'real' lens (a.k.a. a Leica lens).

My experience with the lens has been quite different.

Cheers,

Sean

...yes I would email Milich these 2 days to see if he could help to do the millling on the CV bayonet flange.

Matthew,

I'm just in the middle of reviewing stock of all my Voightlander lenses in order to move forward with coding needs. However, I am not sure if John Milich can mill the bayonent flanges of the Voightlander M-mount lenses since Voightlander places a screw hole dab in the middle of where the coding is needed.

I'm now on a plan B quest to find the best alternative approach. Also, keep in mind that, as I understand, John Milich accepts only the flanges, not the whole lens. You have to remove the flange yourself or get someone with experience to do it since it’s a bit more than just unscrewing the screws, but also heating up the glue that binds the screws in place, and then there’s the reverse process.

Geoff

myspace.com/geoffotos

on the few C/V M mount lenses I have looked at, the screws come out easily (unlike the Zeiss M mount flanges) but the inside of the flange on the 40mm /1.4 contained the female threads for foucusing the lens element. the flange had to be unscrewed from the male helical threads to remove it (easily done), and it went back together as well. the screw hole is right where the coding is, but painting over the screw head seems to work and is recessed enough to not wear off. I have a 25 that i will be looking at next week.

Goeff

I've PM John on the same issue yesterday. Need to find out more on the helicoil and see if I would be confident to do that.

John, it is really great to learn you got a 25 as well. Please let us know your findings next week. Anticipating...

Just a general reminder that folks who like the CV lenses consider picking up the LTM versions before they get hard to find. Several are either out of production or soon to be and hand-coding with an LT-M8 adapter is easy.

Cheers,

Sean

Just a general reminder that folks who like the CV lenses consider picking up the LTM versions before they get hard to find. Several are either out of production or soon to be and hand-coding with an LT-M8 adapter is easy.

Cheers,

Sean

Sean,

Do the new CV 21 and 25 M mount versions bring up the right viewfinder with the M8?

Best

Martin

Also makes a nice little walkabout lens for IR work. Handheld shot with B+W 092 IR pass filter, ISO 640, 1/45 sec, f/8.

Larger Image

large.jpg

Hi Carl, what a good idea with this small gem !

Martin, not sure about the new 21P, but the 25P does bring up the correct 24 frameline in M8.

Cheers

Matthew

the flange on the 25 simple unscrews...no connection to the helicoid. It will accept recesses easily. Unfortunately, it is cut like the 13.5cm adapter, so it brings up the 35/135mm framelines and that cannot be altered to bring up the 24mm lines

jm@milich.com

the flange on the 25 simple unscrews...no connection to the helicoid. It will accept recesses easily. Unfortunately, it is cut like the 13.5cm adapter, so it brings up the 35/135mm framelines and that cannot be altered to bring up the 24mm lines

jm@milich.com

Hi John,

The 24 mm frame lines are triggered by the same bayonet specs as the 35. If it pulls up the 35 lines, it should also bring up the 24 (they come up together on the M8). Did you have any trouble removing the screws? If you can mill it, I'm getting one for myself.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi John,

The 24 mm frame lines are triggered by the same bayonet specs as the 35. If it pulls up the 35 lines, it should also bring up the 24 (they come up together on the M8). Did you have any trouble removing the screws? If you can mill it, I'm getting one for myself.

Cheers,

Sean

John.

Sean is right. The CV25mmP brings up the 24 and 35mm lines on my M8. Not only that, the 24mm framelines are reasonable accurate too. The whole package is so ergometric, everything falls into place. Although the lens is a little larger than the CV25 that it replaces, the fact that it is rangefinder coupled makes a world of difference in close quarters. And it is small enough to be barely visible in the viewfinder. Also it is sharp as a tack across the whole field. I can't get enough of this lens. In fact I hesitate to send my bayonet to John for coding until I use it a few more days.

Rex