A few comments based upon two outings with the Leica M-D type 262 camera

enboe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica has created a digital version of their M7 film offering.

I was fortunate enough to purchase one of these cameras three weeks ago.  I put my name on the local wait list even before the camera was announced, but was bumped a couple of positions by higher-priority customers and saw the opportunity to have a camera in hand in time for a planned vacation, so I bit.  Shooting Leicas is a major entertainment outlet for me, and I have shot with every mainline production M I can think of, M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M4-2, M4-P, M6, M6TTL, M7, MP, M-A, M8, M8.2, M9P, Monochrom, M-P240, M246, and M262.  Still, the screen-less Leica digital sounded like loads of fun, and did not disappoint.

I have had the chance to shoot my M-D for one day at Universal Studios Hollywood and for 8 days in the various attractions in Orlando, Florida.  During this time, I averaged 150 frames per day, for a total of just under 1400 images.  I shot the camera “naked” of any case or protector for the minimum bulk.  I attached the new 35mm/2.0/ASPH/II lens and an E39 UVa and didn’t look back.  The camera shoots like an M7.  It meters like an M7, focuses like an M7, and uses the same muscle memories for the on/off switch that I developed with my M7.  The big difference is not the extra depth, which is truly minimal, but rather the adjustable ISO dial on the back, which you don’t get to leverage on an M7 without changing rolls of film.  Having any speed film from 200-6400 ISO at the twist of a dial is very handy.  The rest of the body works like an M7, and the bump on the back of the top plate holds your thumb very much like a film winding lever.  All in all, an excellent handling design.  O.K., there is one tiny new item I need to train myself on, that is the use of the function button and rear control thumb wheel to adjust exposure compensation.  Luckily the meter is good enough you don’t need to use it often.  The shutter sound is discrete like an M should be, very much like the one in the M262, which has the current best M digital shutter.

Several aspects of performance warrant discussion.  First and foremost, the image quality is every bit as good as any of the other ‘240 class cameras.  The default compressed DNG files are superb and offer lots of flexibility for image editing.  The second area worth note is the metering.  The pattern used is the ‘240-series “Classic” pattern, which uses reflections off of the central blades of the shutter curtain.  Metering reflected off of curtain works very well and quickly, although the metering can occasionally be fooled by high or low-key lighting.  The solution is what I term, “nodding the camera”.  You simply point the camera down for lower shutter speeds, up for higher shutter speeds, then hold the exposure with a half-press of the shutter release and recompose your final shot.  Using this approach, I achieved exposures that were around ½ stop underexposed 98-99% of the time.  The slight underexposure is perfect for ensuring you don’t blow out your highlights, and the dynamic range of the sensor and resultant files pulls the details out of the rest of the image and the shadows without issue.  The continuous burst buffer is good for 10 shots in a sequence.  Battery consumption hovered around 15% per day for an average 150 photos, which extrapolates to 1000 photos on a full charge.  These numbers were achieved by turning the camera off between periods of use.  I did confirm the hard way, however, that the camera does not have an auto-off, and I would up with a dead battery one morning.  I would recommend having a spare charged battery readily available in case you make a similar mistake.

The M-D comes with a hard black paint finish over brass.  I would have preferred a silver chrome version, and may pick one up in the future if offered, but the black paint chosen for the current version is very durable, with no signs of wear after 9 days in busy amusement parks.  This is no MP black lacquer, and your camera will not resemble the Kravitz ‘240 for quite a long time of use.

Other than the aforementioned dead battery, the camera was 100% reliable, with no crashes or hang-ups.  It wrote every single image I took to SD card without error, something no other M digital I have owned can claim.  It really is that good.  If I were to make two changes, I would add silver chrome as an option for the top and bottom plates and hardware, and maybe a two-position on/off switch versus the current Off/S/C/Timer.  I did overachieve and put the camera into Continuous mode when I wanted Single, but no harm came, and no images or opportunities were lost.  Oh, and did I mention it had the cleanest sensor straight out of the box of the 11 digital Ms I’ve purchased since 2006?   Not a speck of dust!

I did have the chance to share the camera over lunch with a friend named Kevin who has made a career out of photography.  He loves his M’s, but also shoots a lot of Canons for digital stills, and other gear for video.  I explained the philosophy behind the camera as a reliable tool where you stay focused on your subject and environment to be ready for the next shot, not reviewing the past image.  I caught him chimping the ISO dial a few times, and when I commented he said, “you’re right, this will take some getting used to, but it’s a good thing, and I need to get me one of these (M-D).”  Kevin supervises a number of other photography professionals, and I would not be surprised to see their department adopting a no-screen shooters challenge as a way of capturing more “decisive moment” images.  This, of course, requires equipment that is 100% reliable and predictable, and photographers with the skills to make the most out of the equipment on every image.  The M-D is up to the task.

So, who should buy this camera?  This is a little bit hard to define.  The camera is ultra-reliable, produces excellent images, and is totally predictable.  It should be durable enough to last for decades.  I would expect the batteries and SD cards will be the lifespan-limiting commodities, not the M-D.  If you want a “decisive moment” Leica M digital for still images only, and have at least some skill with M cameras, this is an excellent selection, and could be your only M.  If you need to work at the limits of M capabilities, lenses wider than 28 or longer than 90 (subjective), shoot macro, hold cameras overhead or away from your eye for perspective or safety,, shoot at f/0.95, or need to capture short video clips, then a ‘240 may be a better tool, but don’t forget the lessons the M-D and prior film M cameras teach us.

• Like 19

I am a long time M user (from M6 over RD1,M8,M9,MM,M type 240) and one of the weaker points of digital M is the exposure metering.

What you write in regards of pointing the camera a little up or down does work in a way, but it is not very precise and if there is a bright sky/high contrast it is far from predictable.

I got along in film times but in digital time I think it is a big benefit that in difficult exposure situations I can double check on the display if the highlights are blown or of if the image might be underexposed.

I see the attraction of a M without screen, but I guess for me the version with display would be the better tool. I also dont feel the need to allways use the screen, I just use when I think I need to (difficult exp situations, to check exposure or correct focus, and when I want to use UWA lenses without external viewfinder to check framing)

• Like 1

Thanks for your review; excellent stuff.  I've had my M-D since the day after the launch, and I'd agree with your views.

Having recently taken mine on a trip for 4 days, and wishing to travel light, I decided to experiment with an EyeFi SD card, and download my pictures to LR mobile on my iPad each day.  I even did this when stopping for a coffee or beer a few times.

OK, some real purists (or critics) might be cynical. But this works well technically, and pleases me. 

For those who want to try this, and have never used an EyeFi card, be sure to buy the black 'Pro' version, which allows wireless transfer of multiple file types. The orange standard versions will not allow transfer of DNG files, only JPG. I have not checked the spec of other such cards from the likes of Toshiba.

(And as an aside such cards may not work with non-240 series Ms as these do not have the requisite plastic 'window' in the baseplate adjacent to the card slot).

Regards

• Like 2

I never use LV on my M 240, so, to me, it's like having no screen. But when I have to take pictures I know I will not be able to repeat, therefore they have to be as good as possible, well, then I'm happy I can chimp on my screen and check if I did a good work. Photography to me is an interesting and very amusing hobby, not a challenge against all odds.

• Like 8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm glad it works well for those who find it attractive.

It sounds exactly like my M240 to me though, except for that missing bit on the back.

I expect it is the same as an M240 without the LCD, EVF, video capture, etc. 

But that is the point.  ^_^

Enboe, nice review and thanks for the exposure tips.

If you wanted an M-D with a two position only on/off switch you could have purchased an M60 - which also has auto power off and includes a free leather case and lens. All this for only double the price.

William,

That's a fair question.  I can state that every other digital, Leica or not, has displayed issues within the first 1,000 frames, so it's the exposure count that I base my claims upon.  1,355 frames with no freezes, corrupt files, or lost frames/failure to write is a solid start.  I will check back in a few years in durability and long-term reliability.

Eric

• Like 1

Enboe, nice review and thanks for the exposure tips.

If you wanted an M-D with a two position only on/off switch you could have purchased an M60 - which also has auto power off and includes a free leather case and lens. All this for only double the price.

At least one dealer in the UK is now selling their remaining few used M60 sets for considerably less than the combined cost of a new M-D & 35 Summilux FLE.  Tempting, eh?

At least one dealer in the UK is now selling their remaining few used M60 sets for considerably less than the combined cost of a new M-D & 35 Summilux FLE.  Tempting, eh?

Sorry, that's new not used.......

Thanks for your review; excellent stuff.  I've had my M-D since the day after the launch, and I'd agree with your views.

Having recently taken mine on a trip for 4 days, and wishing to travel light, I decided to experiment with an EyeFi SD card, and download my pictures to LR mobile on my iPad each day.  I even did this when stopping for a coffee or beer a few times.

OK, some real purists (or critics) might be cynical. But this works well technically, and pleases me. 

For those who want to try this, and have never used an EyeFi card, be sure to buy the black 'Pro' version, which allows wireless transfer of multiple file types. The orange standard versions will not allow transfer of DNG files, only JPG. I have not checked the spec of other such cards from the likes of Toshiba.

(And as an aside such cards may not work with non-240 series Ms as these do not have the requisite plastic 'window' in the baseplate adjacent to the card slot).

Regards

I've been wondering if this works - in a pinch you could check a landscape composition/exposure.  I don't think I'd use it often, I'm pretty happy with how my M2 works for travel and every day photos of family/friends, but having this option in a pinch seems extremely useful.  

I've been wondering if this works - in a pinch you could check a landscape composition/exposure.  I don't think I'd use it often, I'm pretty happy with how my M2 works for travel and every day photos of family/friends, but having this option in a pinch seems extremely useful.  

Yes, as I say, it works. 

The M-D shooting experience is not in the slightest bit altered of course, and I wouldn't want it to be, but as stated I like the ability to look at my shots on my iPad or iPhone 6 Plus when I stop for a break.

Regards

Great little review. I like the idea of a screenless digital Leica. The timeless aspect is certainly a factor for me. In portraits you can always tell when the image was taken. Hair style and clothing fashion are always give aways, when the image was taken in a period of time. I love my M9-P but the button layout and menu style seems old fashion. In the digital age its already old fashion design. Of course there always the technological advances with the new M 240, better sensor and back screen ect. But I asure you that this design with the button layout and menu presentation will also too quickly become "old fashion". I some times wonder what a digital camera would look like in the 80's if they had the same technologies back then. I don't buy cameras for the shake of the "update" even though the technological advances are a step in the right direction of improving my photographic workflow. I would buy a MD version of the M9 if it was possible and this is what draws me to the Leica MD. The MD concept is disconnecting from time because of the spartan use of features. I love my analog Leica MP because it looks like it was released yesterday. A basic camera with a excellent usability.

Sendt fra min SM-G930F med Tapatalk

• Like 1