Help, M vs M-P display color difference

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I am trying to find answer related to display color issue.  I am the owner of M240 silver and recently bought Used M-P240  black from Ebay(bad choice, no return allowed) in  May.  Both installed latest firmware.

There is display color temperature issue on M-P 240. Please see photo i attached.  Left side silver M240 shows normal display color.  right side M-P240 shows gray+brown color.   The Menu allows me to change only "Monitor Brightness"  not color, not color temperature.  I could not figure it out by myself. Then  I took it to local  Leica official store yesterday.  The Leica staff did spend 20 minute to find out reason why.  He told me to send it to Leica service or just keep it because image quality is good and same.  

I assumed that M-P240 is mechanically good working order because Ebay seller provided me with Leica service invoice(checked metering, checked image sensor Jan 2016).  

I confirmed that image quality on my computer screen is good and same. However,  I am having hard time judging proper exposure through M-P display.

Has anyone Had display color issue???     

Thanks in advance. Honor to be Forum member

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Welcome to the forum. :)

I had an M240 and changed to an M-P240. I never noticed any difference, but then I rarely chimp.

Go out, photograph what you want and then use Lightroom to process the digital negative (DNG) to how you want the result to be.

It really matters very little what is on the screen. It is only a quick check of frame and focus. (Maybe it should have been a monochrome device to save battery power?)

BTW, did you check the camera's serial number to make sure it isn't a stolen or fraudulent unit? Most dealers will do this free of charge.

I did it before buying my M-P240.

• Like 1

Leica change the lcd screen in newer model to slightly warm color, this case M-P produce warmer color than older one. I don't know if this also affect the newer M model 2014/2015. 

Just the lcd, result definitely still the same. 

• Like 1

Switch your image review mode to the histogram with clipping highlighting if you are checking for exposure. The screens are unreliable for exposure anyway. 

The histogram is also kind of unreliable, as it's based on the jpeg itself. If anyone, for some reason, is shooting dng+jpeg with high contrast and saturation, for example, it would impact the histogram greatly. To get the most accurate histogram readout I would advise to lower the contrast and saturation to the low settings.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum. :)

I had an M240 and changed to an M-P240. I never noticed any difference, but then I rarely chimp.

Go out, photograph what you want and then use Lightroom to process the digital negative (DNG) to how you want the result to be.

It really matters very little what is on the screen. It is only a quick check of frame and focus. (Maybe it should have been a monochrome device to save battery power?)

BTW, did you check the camera's serial number to make sure it isn't a stolen or fraudulent unit? Most dealers will do this free of charge.

I did it before buying my M-P240.

Thanks for reply. 

Yes, you are right!  Lcd screen is only for quick check of frame and focus. Lightroom will help me to process DNG to my taste.

By the way, i don't think it is a stolen or fraudulent unit because Leica service invoice seller sent me was paid by Warranty.  also Serial number matched.

Thanks. your reply gave me peace of mind. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica change the lcd screen in newer model to slightly warm color, this case M-P produce warmer color than older one. I don't know if this also affect the newer M model 2014/2015. 

Just the lcd, result definitely still the same. 

Thanks for reply.  It is good news for me.  I hope that this Lcd Change includes mine.

The M-P has a sapphire crystal glass LCD screen which could well be the reason the display looks warmer. You can see the tiny crystal logo on the right hand edge of the LCD screen (without looking closely enough some photographers have mistaken this for a scratch or mark on the screen). The regular M240 has a plastic screen so a screen protector is advised, a cut down iPhone type is good enough.

Steve

• Like 1

The regular M240 has a plastic screen so a screen protector is advised, a cut down iPhone type is good enough.

Steve

You mean "gorilla glass" screen, with an antireflective coating

Similar to an iphone.

The AR coating can be scratched (mine has a few small marks - not worried, its missing paint too)

• Like 1

My M240 from late 2013 seems to have the same color temperature as the M-P 240 shown in this post. The display on my M240 is nowhere near as cold as the M240 examples shown here... When did Leica change the displays?

I bought my M-P in 2015, the dealer told me that Leica change the lcd screen in my current M-P. He showed me his few used M (not M-P) in the display to ellaborated his statement.

• Like 1

The M-P has a sapphire crystal glass LCD screen which could well be the reason the display looks warmer. You can see the tiny crystal logo on the right hand edge of the LCD screen (without looking closely enough some photographers have mistaken this for a scratch or mark on the screen). The regular M240 has a plastic screen so a screen protector is advised, a cut down iPhone type is good enough.

Steve

Err... Gorilla glass. Like your iPhone. It can scratch, but not that easily.

• Like 1

Had a M-240 and replaced it with a M-P about a year ago, and noticed the color difference immediately.  The menu color is so different I just assumed Leica changed the colors intentionally.  I have no clue what Leica changed, but can just confirm the pictures in the first post are identical to my experience.

Same here, but I think that the warmer screen is more accurate than the cooler one. Let's say 5000k is the ideal temperature, the cooler screen is like +800k shift to cooler and the warmer screen about -500k temperature drift but people always prefer the cooler screen temperature because it looks newer. Anyway, I use the back screen to align the composition only, never care about the colour temperature. :)

ajucom1, Welcome to the forum.

It can be misleading to rely on the LCD as a guide to eventual colour quality of your pictures. It only displays an in-camera processed Jpeg file. I use mine mostly for subject framing and little else. The histogram is a useful aid but suffers from the same limitation.

For best results shoot DNG and learn how to get the best from them by studying videos online, of which there are many.

Enjoy your M cameras.

• Like 1