tashley

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I used my MATE this morning to capture the first "White Easter" I can recall & I noticed that the focussing unlike my other Leica lenses seems to have a certain "springiness". It feels like there is a spring pushing back when you move the focussing ring from close focus to infinite - so focussing "out" is harder than focussing "in". Although it works fine in all other respects I find this asymmetry in how it feels somewhat irritating.

Comments anyone? Is this the way its should work or is it something that needs adjustment. It still has Leica guarantee on it & I would prefer sending it in within this period for obvious reasons.

thanks

Stephen

Stephen: I have a still-in-warranty MATE, purchased recently from a forum member. After reading your post, I checked the focussing ring and yes, it is a touch firmer moving towards infinity than away from it.

I hadn't noticed it till I read your post, and would assume it's normal. If you've ever seen a picture of the cutaway version of this lens, you'll know how complex it is, and minor foibles like this perhaps should not surprise us.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Stephen: I have a still-in-warranty MATE, purchased recently from a forum member. After reading your post, I checked the focussing ring and yes, it is a touch firmer moving towards infinity than away from it.

Hi Paul

Did you buy it from that Tim Ashley bloke?

If so, I think I was the original owner - lovely lens, it didn't work for me because it didn't focus as closely as I would like, but I used it a great deal and it did a grand job, mostly on trips abroad where I wanted to travel light.

I'm glad it's gone to another good home! (and isn't Tim a nice character).

Mine is second generation and I must have the odd one out :D. It's uniformly stiff in both directions irrespective of the focal length.

Bob.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I have the latest 2nd generation version (i.e. including the 6bit coding) & the 'springiness' sounds consistent with what is reported above.

Now all i need to do is to whack it at the appropriate place to achieve the desired uniform stiffness reported by Bob. Or should I throw some sand into the workings? Problems, problems....

Hi Jono: yes, twas he who sold it to me. Still has your name on the passport! It's a great lens, and I'm very surprised at how close it is to my prime lenses. I also find I can nail the focussing accurately every time, so I think I'll be keeping it for a good while.

It was a very pleasant and civilised transaction with Tim.