tashley

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doubt it, too big

Unless of course (and who really knows) they are planning a digital only lens which is smaller due to the crop factor.

My 2 cents: out of all the threads we've had with 35 crons and luxes suffering focus issues, and to a lesser but significant extent 28 crons and 50 luxes, why discontinue the ONLY lens covering those focal lengths about which I have not seen one single 'focus issue thread'?

It sells well, is snapped up on eBay whenever it appears, seems to take well to coding, compliments the WATE very well for travelling types. SO why ding it? Either:

1) There are a lot of complaints we've not heard about

2) It is in some way disproportionately time-or-resource consuming to manufacture for a company which is backordered on everything

3) Is cannibalising sales of primes

4) Is due to be replaced

My guess: there's a replacement coming.

Tim

a F2.8 MATE dedicated to the M8 reduced format to control size would be an enormous hit. But it will never happen because

1) It would piss off the film traditionalist no end

2) It would be too expensive to make. I know that "too expensive" in

the world of Leica is a bit of a misnomer but even Ledicaphiles

can only take so much.

3) If cost and size could be controled, then it would gut sales of

existing primes.

Rex

If anyone is looking for this lens I saw one at Iris Photo in Asheville NC about 2 months ago.

They are not carrying Leica anymore and trying to clear out the remain stock. They said I could have it AT COST. It is the older White Leica box, not sure what that means.

They also had a M7, in the newer silver and black lebaled box, and the same deal applied, AT COST. I thought about it but couldn't justify the expense since I rarely shoot film anymore and my M3 still works fine. The M3 has gotten a needed workout in the last 2 weeks.

I presume "at cost" means something like 30% off list price, given the talk about Leica not losing money on the 30% rebate lenses. This is still significantly more than a perfect second-hand copy, but could be a good deal for someone looking for a new copy.

I wonder if the same disease is hitting the glass used in the Tri-Elmar as hit the Noctilux, ie. some ingredient got much more expensive, and the new price is too high to sustain? Or maybe the rumour is simply false. Leica doesn't often discontinue newer lenses, and this one is a technical marvel.

.......... 3) If cost and size could be controled, then it would gut sales of existing primes...

If that is Leica's thinking then they, and we, are in trouble. Alternatives to primes-only are assets for their product lines, and an encouragement for their customers.

..................Chris

Not good news. This is the next lens on my list to acquire. I was planning on a new TE so that I have a coded lens with 28/35/50 to walk about with while I sent my 28+35+50 lenses in for coding.

So, now do I rush out and buy a TE from somewhere if they are in stock, or do I wait? Bugger!

.... i never had the impression the MATE was or is a very popular lens to begin with .... would be reason enough to stop production :confused:

Also wondereing how popular the wate realy would have been if there had not been the 30% offer!

Somehow i can't get used to the idea of these "surrogate zooms" on a rangefinder ;)

Does anyone know what the differences are between the 1st and 2nd version, and if there is a price difference between the two on the second-hand market?

1st version E55 - some mechanical play at the lens ring reported. Have silver chrome version.

2nd version E49 - All black chrome.

Give us a 21-35/2.8 asph dual-elmarit =)

Will not damage your prime sales.

You must be kidding. While I admit that would be an ideal Tri-elmar for the M8, why would anyone buy the 21mm, 24mm, or 28mm unless they were significantly smaller. And even then, a tri-elmar would cut into the primes sales. Only the 35mm would excape market loss only because of the faster primes available.

But a 21-28-35 F2.8 Tri for the reduced format M8 would be a dream lens. If only size could be keep in check I would pay $4000 or even a little more for such a lens.

Rex

The second version also had DOF markings.

My Tri-Elmar has been back to Solms three or four times - I admit to having lost count. It's a useful travel lens if you use in conjunction woth a fast prime, but it doesn't inspire confidence - in me at least. It's roughly the same size as two Summicrons, perhaps that's why I've always been more tempted to use primes.

Optically, the two versions are identical. AFAIK, the second version has the slimmer barrel, better detents for the focal length ring and DoF markings as on the WATE.

The switches which detect the position of the frame selector are put to good use with this lens - and only this lens - to tell the camera what the selected focal length is.

First the 75/1.4, now the MATE, make you wonder what's next for the chop....

Safe

WATE, 28/2.8, 28/2, 50/1.4, 75/2

Probably OK

24/2.8, 50/2, 50/2.8, 90/2, 90/4, 135/3.4

Skating on Thin Ice?

21/2.8, 35/1.4, 35/2, 50/1, 90/2.8