Leica SL and using Flash

leepoe

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Has anyone had any experience using the SL for fast paced social or business events where a flash is required? I currently use Nikon F4's. I have been experimenting with my SL and the SF58. I find Leica has a long way to go on getting up their standards in the area of flash. When using the SF58, flash comp must be set on the flash. You can't use the flash comp in the camera. It would be nice if that could be handled with a firmware upgrade. Also what bracket are you using for the SL and flash. 

The SF 58 doesn't support the two way communications required to set FEC through the flash. ie: settings from the camera wouldn't be read by the flash. I agree that it waould be nice to have, especially since steeing FEC on the SF58 is such a convoluted process. Technically it's still possible but it seems Leica don't want a mixed cumulative FEC system, which is fair enough.

When I shoot a wedding reception with the SL I set the SF58 to "auto" rather than TTL. Mirrorless cameras set all exposure perameters from the sensor rather than having a seperate sensor for flash like DSLRs have. Auto mode on the SF58 still reads aperture and ISO from the camera but measures flash exposure through the sensor on the flash. I find in older flashes, like the SF58 that exposures can be a bit more reliable this way. It's like a semi TTL.

I would expect the SF64 to be better than the SF58 in this regard, although I have yet to try one. My dealer was going to call me when stock arrived but doesn't seem that interested in making a sale, so I don't have mine yet.

Gordon

• Like 2

Gordon, Thank you very much for your information. I am a long time flash user going back to my first auto flash, the Honeywell 65D. Prior to that I just used guide numbers for film. I have been spoiled since digital using the Nikon flash system. It's almost foolproof. I agree with you on using the SF58 on auto. From the test that I have conducted the results are much better using auto than the TTL function on the SL. I have only used the SL for portraits. I am still using the Nikon system for events. I have a small job coming soon so I may take the plunge and use the SL. Apparently the SF40 is comparable with the SL but lacks somewhat in power. I will keep a lookout for the SF64

Lee

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gordon, Thank you very much for your information. I am a long time flash user going back to my first auto flash, the Honeywell 65D. Prior to that I just used guide numbers for film. I have been spoiled since digital using the Nikon flash system. It's almost foolproof. I agree with you on using the SF58 on auto. From the test that I have conducted the results are much better using auto than the TTL function on the SL. I have only used the SL for portraits. I am still using the Nikon system for events. I have a small job coming soon so I may take the plunge and use the SL. Apparently the SF40 is comparable with the SL but lacks somewhat in power. I will keep a lookout for the SF64

Lee

NB the SF40 does not have a traditional Auto mode i.e. auto thyristor. 'A' seems to be a Nissin specific mode. Worth checking if you're attracted to it.

... with the SL I set the SF58 to "auto" rather than TTL. Mirrorless cameras set all exposure perameters from the sensor rather than having a seperate sensor for flash like DSLRs have. Auto mode on the SF58 still reads aperture and ISO from the camera but measures flash exposure through the sensor on the flash......

Gordon

Wondering whether 3rd party flash set to Auto will work with SL?

As per the other thread on this subject, personally I never trust TTL (nor did I when shooting with Canon 1DX's btw) as it evaluates each scene was you press the button, unnecessarily in my view.

I use a Nikon SB28 in manual mode usually at 1/64th or 1/32 power for the smallest least distracting flash and set the aperture to about  F2 or F4 and adjust the ISO to suit. A couple of test shots later and you are set for the evening. The low flash power doesn't blind the subject nor render the ambient light to black. I retain light and colour in the background with a bit of flash on the subject no matter what they are wearing (to effect the reflected metering)...

Sometimes manufactures offer solutions to problems that aren't there in the first place.

Version number is displayed when you turn it on for a second or two. Also on the V2.0 there's only one TTL mode (which is auto switching TTL/TTLS). On the V1.1 there's a separate TTL and TTL-HSS mode on the flash.

2.0 is the latest for the SF58.

I have one of each. I haven't noticed any real world differences. If I'm using the earlier one in TTL mode I just set it to TTL-HSS and let it do it's thing.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography
  • Like 1

I have found setting flash EV compensation on the flash is quicker than doing it on the camera (you have to go three layers down in menu). If you could use the EV for non-flash, that would be a different matter. I can change EV+/- on my SF58 in seconds. TTL-HSS works fine on my series 1 SF58, which it did not do before FW2.0 for the SL on either the SL or M240. I think the SL must have done an FW update on the SF58 - clever stuff. 

Wilson

Wilson,

You can now assign flash exposure compensation to a long press button. No menu diving required. With the SF26 I can adjust FEC without even taking the camera away from my eye. Apparently I'll be able to do the same with the SF64. This is handy when you're shooting fast in a working environment. I have it assigned to LR button in anticipation.

It's not the end of the world to use the SF58's buttons but if the FEC isn't the last function set you can end up pushing a lot of buttons for a small shift in flash values. If you're going to use a control on the flash I personally find a wheel much better to use.

I haven't noticed any difference in the flash firmware since 2.0 for the SL. My 1.1 flash still says 1.1.

Gordon

Edited by FlashGordonPhotography

Wilson,

You can now assign flash exposure compensation to a long press button. No menu diving required. With the SF26 I can adjust FEC without even taking the camera away from my eye. Apparently I'll be able to do the same with the SF64. This is handy when you're shooting fast in a working environment. I have it assigned to LR button in anticipation.

It's not the end of the world to use the SF58's buttons but if the FEC isn't the last function set you can end up pushing a lot of buttons for a small shift in flash values. If you're going to use a control on the flash I personally find a wheel much better to use.

I haven't noticed any difference in the flash firmware since 2.0 for the SL. My 1.1 flash still says 1.1.

Gordon

Gordon, 

I agree the flash still says 1.1 but my flash was not switching automatically to TTL-HSS but it is now. I did not realise that on certain flashes you could now use the normal EV adjustment to adjust flash power, as I don't think either of mine (24 and 58 do). It is a minor argument for getting an SF64 but the budget is totally blown at the moment on a 90-280  :)

Wilson