Telyt 200

ubansl

The Telyt 200mm f/4.5 is a pre-WW2 lens and the early production is uncoated. This means that its images are of lower contrast; when used for distant views (the usual reason for buying a lens whose focal length is >135mm) this is a disadvantage as the views themselves are of low contrast. The definition of the f/4.5 lens falls off towards the corners more rapidly than it does with the later f/4.0 lens. The f/4.0 lens is slightly heavier. Both lenses require an OUBIO adaptor to fit on the Visoflex III since they have a screw thread and the Visoflex III has a bayonet mount.

The problem when using either lens is that their 200mm focal length magnifies the image by 4× over a standard lens; the bad news is that they similarly magnify the photographer's mistakes in focussing or holding the camera steady by the same factor. It is possible to use either lens hand held but better results are obtained when a tripod or a monopod is used. It is not advisable to use shutter speeds of less than 1/250 sec. (or even 1/500 sec. in digital photography) when using any 200mm lens without support. The OUBIO adaptor has a tripod screw socket in its foot for this purpose.

I have another warning for you — once you start using Telyt lenses you always want the next longer focal length! I started many years ago with the 200mm f/4.0 Telyt, I have now two 560mm Telyt lenses and am looking for an 800mm Telyt.

Don't let me put you off, telephotography is rewarding and fun. Good luck in exploring this branch of photography.

• Like 2

The Telyt 200mm f/4.5 is a pre-WW2 lens and the early production is uncoated. This means that its images are of lower contrast; when used for distant views (the usual reason for buying a lens whose focal length is >135mm) this is a disadvantage as the views themselves are of low contrast. The definition of the f/4.5 lens falls off towards the corners more rapidly than it does with the later f/4.0 lens. The f/4.0 lens is slightly heavier. Both lenses require an OUBIO adaptor to fit on the Visoflex III since they have a screw thread and the Visoflex III has a bayonet mount.

The problem when using either lens is that their 200mm focal length magnifies the image by 4× over a standard lens; the bad news is that they similarly magnify the photographer's mistakes in focussing or holding the camera steady by the same factor. It is possible to use either lens hand held but better results are obtained when a tripod or a monopod is used. It is not advisable to use shutter speeds of less than 1/250 sec. (or even 1/500 sec. in digital photography) when using any 200mm lens without support. The OUBIO adaptor has a tripod screw socket in its foot for this purpose.

I have another warning for you — once you start using Telyt lenses you always want the next longer focal length! I started many years ago with the 200mm f/4.0 Telyt, I have now two 560mm Telyt lenses and am looking for an 800mm Telyt.

Don't let me put you off, telephotography is rewarding and fun. Good luck in exploring this branch of photography.

++  Pretty accurate.    

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
18 minutes ago, George Stoichev said:

I have Leica m6 classic with 0.72 

I’m interested to buy Telyt 200mm f/4

But I don’t know what exactly need to see thru viewfinder?

If you are after one of these, you need Visoflex II or III which transform Leica M to SLR (sort of ...)

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/F_%3D_20_cm_1:4_Telyt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Visoflex_II

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Visoflex_III

Hello George,

Welcome to the Forum.

Lenses longer than 135mm generally need a supplementary viewing & focusing system to be used on screw mount & "M" Leicas.

Along with the Visoflex II, IIa & III that Arnaud suggested above there is also the Visoflex I. Which the Telyt f4.5 was originally designed to be used with. This combination requires NO intermediary adapters such as the OUBIO, later called 16466. The Telyt f4.0 is also usable on the Visoflex I without an additional adapter.

Visoflex I's are more usable on a tripod. All Visoflexes have tripod sockets. It is better to attach longer lenses to a tripod with the lens's own tripod sockets, when they are provided.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht