Q lens hood does not please me like it should

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I fit the lens hood and tighten fully, it sits at a 20 degree angle from square. Can this be correct? It irrationally irritates me!  

For me, this angled rotation also raises the question of why the hood is such an odd shape anyway! Is flare a problem only in four 'corners' of the lens? Would a fully round hood cause vignetting? If so, then I guess the funny angle is quite deliberate ... but I remain to be convinced!

Am I the only angled hoodie on this forum, or is this a common (or compulsory) Q condition?

Are you sure you've tightened it fully?   It should go to an correct position, properly aligned, but it does take some force to do so.  If it stubbornly won't move beyond the skewed position, which is not right, then take it back to your dealer and get it changed/sorted.

• Like 1

Are you sure you've tightened it fully?   It should go to an correct position, properly aligned, but it does take some force to do so.  If it stubbornly won't move beyond the skewed position, which is not right, then take it back to your dealer and get it changed/sorted.

Thanks Brian. It definitely won't tighten to square. I suspected it to be faulty and your reply confirms it. I've also just been viewing a number of images of the camera on this forum, all of which show the hood to be a nice, aesthetically pleasing square fit - dammit!

So now the horrible thought - is it the hood or the lens barrel that's faulty? My fingers are crossed it's the former!

Difficult to put it in the right position the first time...but now it is ok, I often tight/untight it in order to change filters...

If it does not want to go to the right position at all you have to go back to Leica store  :(

The shape corresponds to the shape of the frame of the camera.  If you brought the sides in to match the top of the hood, it would block the image on the edges of the picture on the long sides.  If they'd made it round, they'd just have to make it bigger, and would lose some of it's effectiveness on the sides of the frame where the hood is smaller--as in along the top if you're shooting horizontally.

Leica has made other hoods like that in the past, my 28mm M lens has one for example.

Edited by stevieboy

Does anyone know the mm size of the threads for the hood. I use a UV filter on the  49mm thread of the lens and would prefer not to take it on and off to use a polarizing filter.  (the Leica UV does not have outside threads, further vignetting could be a problem with the added depth.  I thought perhaps I could fit a polarizer after removing the hood. 

Incidentally, my hood too is so tight I feared damaging something trying to get it "square".