Comparing an SL image with the same shot from 15 years ago

Peter Walker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I actually like the film image.  However; what this thread did for me was open up the possibility of using the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 lens on my R-9, and shooting for the square format.  Slides can be mounted in square mounts and scans can be cropped square. 

What I didn't know (or at least remember;) was the SL has a square format choice.  I guess that would make it easier to vision within the viewfinder. 

Overall; I'm very impressed with the results of the square format images on this thread shot with the SL with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 lens. 

If one really wants to compare, reproduce the smallest detail on a fully chemical print from film and the same detail on a fully digitally generated print.

Thats all about.....

It's rarely a good idea to mix different techniques, except you are forced to.

The comparison Fujichrome and Digital Capture is just RIDICULOUS if the scanning was done on an Imacon.

Forgive me but the imacon is a kindergarden device when compared to a Heidelberg Drumscanner with it's photomultiplieres.
Don't get me wrong, i've owned (and still own) several Ms, analog & digital- I got the SL to test and shot a lot of Editorial work with all generations of the S.
For a very personal portrait sitting i'd never ever consider digital capture.
A roll of 6x6 transparency film or even Portra400, a Rolleiflex or 503CW, a Scanner Operator with 20+ years experience as a colorist and in lithography and all the smart asses and pixel peepers will finally back up.
...Even an M6 with the 50mm rigid looks amazing when scanned at 60MP on a Drum Scanner.

Film is logarithmic as you know. Digital is linear. 

Anyways, when it comes to Tonality, different RAW Converters will give you different results. In my opinion Hasselblad's Phocus software is the best out there since it does not use ICC profiles and let's you see the image without any interpretation. Lightroom is a pretty good candidate when it comes to losing tonality.

Regards.

My (slim) hopes are for a compact Mirrorless MF from Hasselblad at Photokina, with the sensor backs as now sold for the H6D, 100 and 50 Mb, possible with a fixed dedicated lens, ergo a digital SWC. Now a square format 40x 40 mm or a 33x33 mm with a 24 mm, could be interesting. Certainly when they have a pricepoint around that of an SL with lens in mind. The new CEO of Hassie wants to directly tap in this market share, he stated earlier.

Try: https://www.alpa.ch/en/article/hr-alpagon-5-623-mm-lb

Thanks for the link.

I am well aware of the Alpa solution. I love the precision, beautiful build and the, apparent, great image quality.

An Alpa SWA, the Rodenstock 23 mm., as you suggest, and a Hasselblad CFV-50c is a beautiful setup with shift movements. But the cost will be at least 25.000 Euro's.

Since my post, in June, Hasselblad has introduced the promising X1D, giving al the desired features, small with an integrated 50 Mp MF back with live view, Flash-sync on all speeds up to 1/2000, it is as portable as an SL and comes likely with all the Hasselblad image-qualities of the bigger brothers, for a price of 9.000 Euro's.

The only thing we are waiting for is a possible and eager awaited, announcement of an ultra wide lens around the 22/23 mm. Then we have a real digital SWC-replacement.

Expecting this UWA-lens a bit more expensive than the announced 45/90 mm ( 2700 Euro's), so around 5500 would be reasonable, I think. So halve the price of an Alpa solution, without the movements. But Hasselblad announced somewhere on a presentation that TS-solutions are to be expected in the future.

A nice companion of the SL for some, to shoot landscape and architecture when you want to print big and/or want the MF- advantages and quality......Leica has to come with an S-mirrorless equivalent soon!

We have discussed this, comprehensively and ad nauseum, in the thread: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/261949-leica-sl-or-hasselblad-x1d/