Monochrom and wear

IWC Doppel

Had my M Monochrom since August 2012. For its first three years, with scarcely any exceptions, it was used daily, for a project documenting the city of Glasgow, where I live. Even (carefully) in the rain. It's currently at the factory in Wetzlar, awaiting a new sensor. Incidentally, Leica are fitting the sensor, adjusting the rangefinder, giving the camera a full service, and not charging me a cent - something I'm over the moon about.

The finish on the M Monochrom seems very durable indeed. Scratches and repeated handling on my example have made the black chrome finish look a little uneven in places, but there is only a tiny amount of silvering to a couple of edges. What's not durable is the white lettering under the buttons on the back of the camera. There's not even a fragment of paint left on those. Fortunately, there are so few buttons that it's not hard to remember what each one does. And the back of the camera looks a bit stealthier - everything is black and muted.

My M Monochrom (OK, Ludwig - he's called Ludwig) wears an old baseplate from the M9-P I used to own, so the original M Monochrom baseplate stays pristine in the box. It's a great camera, I have to say. It's been everywhere with me. It's all the camera I need, and I feel no urge to 'upgrade' it to anything else. I've bonded with it in a way I never did with any other digital camera. I can't wait to see him back from the factory, ready for the next four years and beyond.

Cheers,

Colin

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by colint544
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...

Just happened onto your b+w photographs, Colin.  Such forceful narrative fragments they invite! Your unique way of seeing peeks through the Venetian blinds in broad daylight.  Awesome work.  Cheers.

• Like 1

Just happened onto your b+w photographs, Colin.  Such forceful narrative fragments they invite! Your unique way of seeing peeks through the Venetian blinds in broad daylight.  Awesome work.  Cheers.

Great stuff Colin - good to see some proper photojournalism away from celebrity driven pap!!

Your Port Talbot series - is to me what it's all about.

Kind words - thanks, guys.

I've had my MM1 for a year already and virtually no sign of wear. FWIW, my M8 has the same black chrome finish and is a bit uneven in places with some solve ring too. I did buy it used so can't voucher for the care it received before me. It's not unattractive, just not as pristine as my MM1.

...the original M Monochrom baseplate stays pristine in the box.

Colin

For what reason?  Is it so you can sell the camera for more money at some point?  Actually, that's probably not it since you said you are actually very happy with the camera.  So why protect a part of the camera that you will never use?  The way you're going now, the logical assumption is that you will continue to use the M9 baseplate (which looks odd on the camera) until you are eventually done with the Monochrom and it is either lost, or stolen or broken.  At which point you'll have a mint condition baseplate to... I don't know.  Seems really odd to me to protect ONE part of a camera.  

For what reason?  Is it so you can sell the camera for more money at some point?  Actually, that's probably not it since you said you are actually very happy with the camera.  So why protect a part of the camera that you will never use?  The way you're going now, the logical assumption is that you will continue to use the M9 baseplate (which looks odd on the camera) until you are eventually done with the Monochrom and it is either lost, or stolen or broken.  At which point you'll have a mint condition baseplate to... I don't know.  Seems really odd to me to protect ONE part of a camera.  

I hadn't thought about that. When I traded in my M9-P, there was a lot of brassing and a lot of scratches on the bottom plate, probably because I often set the camera down on the ground. Otherwise the camera was in pretty good shape. I was told that the brassing would put a big dent in the re-sale value, so I got a replacement baseplate. That left me with a spare baseplate. When I took my new M Monochrom from the box, I thought that I might as well put the old baseplate on because it was only going to continue to get scratched. Why have two scratched baseplates?

Hadn't really thought about it beyond that. I use my camera a lot, and don't intend ever selling it, so I suppose you're right. What is the point of keeping a pristine baseplate? Personally, I'm not too bothered about what my camera looks like, but I don't think the brassed baseplate, combined with brassed Thumbs-Up looks all that odd. You only see the baseplate when you look at the underneath of the camera anyway.

But thanks anyway, for spotting the hole in my cunning plan.

If I looked at a body for sale which was lightly worn but had a pristine baseplate, I'd assume the camera had received a serious blow - I would be cautious about buying.

This is the sort of thread you will only find on a Leica forum!

Fo shizzle.

• Like 1

But thanks anyway, for spotting the hole in my cunning plan.

Colin, you move like a cat.

I've had the MM for almost four years (minus six months in the shop for sensor replacement), and the finish has worn like the same finish on the M6, which is to say not at all. All three the same dull black.

• Like 1