Ok guys, what about the OTUS lenses?

NB23

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The LensRentals numbers raise two questions:

1. Is it possible that the Leica 50mm Summicron produces the exact same resolution at Center, Middle and Edge? (1200)

2. Is it possible that the Leica 50mm Summilux does not improve in Center and Middle resolution when stopping down from f/1.4 to f/2.0?  (1488, 1152)  Only improving at the Edge?

These are strange results and seem to be errors.  If so, it raises the question of what the correct numbers would be.

The 50 Summilux has a known mid-range dip, the slightest focus shift when going to ƒ/2--not a meaningful one in real-life but something Lloyd Chambers describes as well in the less-than-expected contrast increase from ƒ/1.4 to 2.8. The 50 Summicron has the flatest field  at f/2 (?). Pretty impressive for a 37 year-old design and probably why they haven't updated it.

Cicala tested multiple samples of the Leica, except for the APO (he only had one around to test at the time).

Edited by Hayek

The 50 Summilux has a known mid-range dip, the slightest focus shift when going to ƒ/2--not a meaningful one in real-life but something Lloyd Chambers describes as well in the less-than-expected contrast increase from ƒ/1.4 to 2.8. The 50 Summicron has the flatest field  at f/2 (?). Pretty impressive for a 37 year-old design and probably why they haven't updated it.

Cicala tested multiple samples of the Leica, except for the APO (he only had one around to test at the time).

For the 50mm Summicron-M to have the same resolution at Center, Middle and Edge, it would have to have a perfectly flat MTF chart at f/2.0, right?  The MTF chart at Photodo.com suggests that this is not the case (it curves downward toward the edge).   Likewise, the resolution figures at Lenstip.com suggest that this is not the case (note how the resolution is much higher at center than at edge).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by zlatkob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sure then Roger just made it all up

It's not that.  Rather, it's possible someone made an error in transcribing the numbers from a test result into that summary chart.  I asked him about it in the comments when the article first came out, but the comments no longer appear under the article.  If I remember correctly, his reply was something like that it was a lot of work and it's very possible there's an error.  I like LensRentals and appreciate all of the free information they provide to the photographic community, even if there's a rare error — we all make mistakes, especially with numbers.  I am a bit curious as to what the correct resolution numbers would be, but I'm not going to bother him again about it.  I'm sure it's a heck of a lot of work to run all of those tests.

• Like 1

It's not that.  Rather, it's possible someone made an error in transcribing the numbers from a test result into that summary chart.  I asked him about it in the comments when the article first came out, but the comments no longer appear under the article.  If I remember correctly, his reply was something like that it was a lot of work and it's very possible there's an error.  I like LensRentals and appreciate all of the free information they provide to the photographic community, even if there's a rare error — we all make mistakes, especially with numbers.  I am a bit curious as to what the correct resolution numbers would be, but I'm not going to bother him again about it.  I'm sure it's a heck of a lot of work to run all of those tests.

That does make sense. I will write to him and ask; it is a bit anomalous; even the superlative 50 APO isn't perfectly the same across the entire frame by his measurements, so how could the Summicron be so? Very good point.

• Like 1

Maybe not 'made up' but rounded off?

Hard to round up 800 or 900 (at best) to 1200 imho and as much as i like my Summilux asph it is much softer on edges than at center at f/2. Sorry i don't know LensRentals at all but those numbers do not make sense to me. 

• Like 1

We all love our M lenses because of their size and unique system.

Its all about usability. I use M cameras and lenses because they do what I want them to do. As a system for me the combination is unsurpassed. I have Canon and L series lenses - they work in situations where I can'y use my Ms but I never choose to use them when I can use my Ms. Until someone offers a comparable system with the simplicity and image quality available from the M system, marginal (and they are marginal) apparent increases in lens capability is of little importance when the system that I have works so well for me. And yes, I do have both old and new Leica lenses and they all get used and deliver the images that they are capable of - this isn't delusion its actuality.

• Like 1

I had the chance to shoot with the Otus 1.4/55 adapted to a Sony A7. That lens is impressive. True.

But that lens is also a monster! Way too big for my taste. I would not want to carry it around the whole day.

And I seriously think that in almost all real-life scenarios you wouldn't really see a striking difference to another very good 1.4/50.

Edited by LucisPictor
  • Like 4

When Nikon brought out the F5 it was way too large a body and a contax 645 or hasselblad offered higher IQ in a similar size. The Otus size is not much smaller than Leica S lenses yet the IQ from the S is higher.

In optics it's been possible to make mtf-perfect lenses for many years if size is not a limiting factor.

Leica is rare in the camera world, size and quality are maintained while everyone else let there their bodies and lenses bloat to enormous proportions.

• Like 2

Always the first glass, the camera does not matter, it's just speed - shutter, ISO, or film, and a simple display.

In this line of thought I have gone back in time of old Leica lenses, and have successful, in my opinion and make my photos.

Raymon depardon and his lens, his photos with that lens, ...... this is with ASPH lens??

Photographs of Raymon Depardon, (for example) thank God that already had the new Leica ASPH lens manufactured today, no ??

These are the pictures I always look where this sharpness, lens correction, where is the best that Leica makes its crystals ?.

I want that for my pictures, so I changed my glasses ASPH Leica lenntes by old photographs offered me so bad how are you !!!.

Now I must not believe I'm Depardon, I just go out and find good photographs and those lights.

1_zpspqtd64w5.png

4_zpsqvdm4qig.jpg

3_zpshdzari0u.jpg

2_zpszabhthxw.jpg

I love the shots and I did have a look at yout Flickr pix. Wonderful!

Seriously, how did we get on the subject of Otus lenses on a Leica forum?

Irregardless, this would be a difficult comparison. But, like lens idiots everywhere I did one. I guess because inquiring minds want to know.

Today I did a comparison with my D810/Otus 55 against my S006/100 f2. We are having very boring weather with mostly cloudy skies and on and off showers so I had nothing better to do than shoot some images around my yard in between the sprinkles. The 100 f2 undoubtedly is sharper, has more character (better OOF) and better color (thank you MF sensor) than the Otus with 35mm Sony sensor.

OK, are we done now?

It's all in the production numbers. Double the production and see a substantial price drop.

Besides, Leica being the hyped name in the game, you bet there is at least a 2000$ markup that other manufacturers can't charge, and that's on top of the other markups.