ND filter - A36 or 19mm

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm shooting with a 35mm Summaron f3.5 LTM (lovely lens of course) on my iiif and iiig and occasionally find myself in need of an ND filter to limit the amount of light...I often push my film to 800 or 1600 for daytime street shooting at f8-11 for quick shutter speed, zone focusing, etc. And of course for shooting into the evenings. Sometimes I'm stuck with that faster roll in the brightest daytime and the 1/1000 and f16 isn't enough to avoid overexposure.  Has anyone seen any a36 ND filters, or alternatively the little 19mm filters that screw into the front (I could also use a 19mm on my Elmar 50 f3.5 and still access the tiny aperture tab as well).  eBay hasn't proved successful....lots of colour filters of course.  Any tips?

Best

Jon  

Hi Jon, an adapter exists to use E39 filters on a lens which takes A36 screw filters: SOOGZ. The other  adapter is the SGOOZ to use E39 filters on a lens which takes A36 clamp-on filters. I think this second one may be helpful to you.

Lex

• Like 1

35mm Summaron f3.5 LTM ... any a36 ND filters, or alternatively the little 19mm filters that screw into the front (I could also use a 19mm on my Elmar 50 f3.5 and still access the tiny aperture tab as well)...  

At the experts: For Elmar 3.5-50mm ltm I use four 19-mm filters, two original Leitz and two made by Hoja, which can be all screwed well.
But none of these 19-mm filters fits on the Summaron 3,5-35mm ltm.
Above the Serial-No. 1284xxx I mean to see a thread, but with a slightly larger diameter than 19mm.
Which filter size could that be?

Jon, 

The 19mm filters are regularly available on eBay actually; I acquired a ful set one by one.

The trick is to look for them on the separate eBay sites, ending in .uk, .de, etc.

Not all eBay listings are put on worldwide, there is a FIRHE for sale now on the .uk site for instance.

The 19mm filters have the pluspoint that you can change the F-stop on lenses like the Elmars without having to take a (larger) filter off first.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mnutzer,

Screw-in filters for Summaron A36 ?  Never heard of... but it's true that, apparently, the black front ring looks threaded... 21mm... even not the same diameter as the old Hektor 5cm (20mm) for which some author says that a proper screw in filter was made (GG type ? info isn't clear and never saw codes)

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Thanks everyone - it's definitely only an ND filter I'm looking for.  I've seen sets of 19mm and of course the A36 clamp on (my summaron has no threaded 36 ring, unlike my 90mm Elmar f4, so it needs A36 clamp-on filters).  I've just never seen an ND filter. Since I shoot with colour and black/white, a dark red (for example) would likely work not bad for limiting light but of course couldn't work for the colour film. I have a good set of E39 filters (use them for my 50mm Summicron M,  my 35mm Summaron M and the CV 28mm f3.5 Color Skopar).  

The problem I'm having now is that some of the eBay sellers have what I think are SGOOZ but in pictures I think they're actually SOOGZ and vice versa.  So I'm having to review pics to ensure, in the end, I have a device that lets me add my 39mm filters to a clamp on device for the A36 front of the Summaron (I could also use it also on my Elmar 90 f4, but with an aperture of f32 I'm not likely to have any issues and don't use it much anyways).   

Jon Pop.