Exposure problem with the Q.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. I have a few times experienced the following. I use my camera in Aperture priority. No problem, but occasionally I experience, the camera chose to use 1 sec. Exposure, so that the image becomes overexposed, exfic says that the camera is in manual. I have two solutions. 1. take out the battery, or 2. Select a manual time and take a picture and then back in (A). Have others had similar error?

Regards Henrik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same here, I already posted about it "Q shooting blanks" it did that during a hike a month or so ago, where the camera did that too many times that day.

I rested the camera and then traveled to Cuba, there, I used the Q almost exclusively, I don't remember seeing that issue again. I'm keeping an eye on it though.

The XVarior

• Like 1

Seems very strange indeed...You should contact Leica about it if it continues, espeically because it is 'getting stuck' this way....

I had a glitch similar to this once or twice in the beginning, associated with a wrong ISO setting while shooting in A mode, but it has not repeated since and there

was no 'lock-up'.

Hi all. I have a few times experienced the following. I use my camera in Aperture priority. No problem, but occasionally I experience, the camera chose to use 1 sec. Exposure, so that the image becomes overexposed, exfic says that the camera is in manual. I have two solutions. 1. take out the battery, or 2. Select a manual time and take a picture and then back in (A). Have others had similar error?

Regards Henrik

Same here, I already posted about it "Q shooting blanks" it did that during a hike a month or so ago, where the camera did that too many times that day.

I rested the camera and then traveled to Cuba, there, I used the Q almost exclusively, I don't remember seeing that issue again. I'm keeping an eye on it though.

The XVarior

Henrik, did you try to reset your Leica Q to factory settings already? Maybe it could be a solution...

• 1 month later...

I have completely forgotten to return to this thread.

The problem is still there, it comes in waves. What I've discovered is that the camera switches to Manual, you see the A symbol switches to M and shutter at 1 sec. Often it changes back to (A) after a shot, other times more. The best solution is to switch to M take a photo and go back to A. (A) means, in this case, Aperture priority. When the problem is not constant, I am not crazy about having to send it to Leica. I've tryed a complete restore, I guess it is a software bug.

Henrik

This may or may not be related, but I was using the Q and everything was fine. Numerous shots in manual mode at ISO 100. I was using remote control over wifi shooting hummingbirds. The camera stopped functioning. Don't know why. Perhaps wifi interruption. Don't know. What I next saw was several images highly over exposed. It took awhile, but I realized that the ISO had been somehow changed to 12,500. I definitely did not adjust it. Somewhere in the Q a firmware bug is lurking that did this. I reset ISO back to 100 and all was fine. Frustrating. I still love the camera.

• Like 1

I think I found the source of the problem, it lies in the shutter wheel, when it is set to A and I pressed lightly on the wheel, it starts to weave between M and A, like there is a loose connection in the switche.

So after the summer hollyday, it have to be returned to Leica again :( I have apparently gotten A Monday model.

• 1 year later...

No, it has apparently fixed itself, the problem lies in the shutter dial, typically when it stood in A, if you pressed the dial it jumped over to 1 sec exposure, which is right next to A, so I guess that the two are very close so there's probably come a little dust in and has fixed the problem. I hope you get solved the problem.

All the best

Henrik

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
On 10/3/2017 at 7:52 PM, HenrikP said:

No, it has apparently fixed itself, the problem lies in the shutter dial, typically when it stood in A, if you pressed the dial it jumped over to 1 sec exposure, which is right next to A, so I guess that the two are very close so there's probably come a little dust in and has fixed the problem. I hope you get solved the problem.

My 6 month old Q has the exact same problem. You move it to A, and sometimes it thinks that I set it on 1 sec. And touching the dial a little can help. Did you just use/massage the dial and then it helped? Or did you clean it? I still have warranty, but would miss it for 6-8 weeks while they fix it.... 

(Greetings from Denmark btw Henrik...😉)

• 11 months later...