Buy a Leica CL nowadays ?

cboudier

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do you think it is "reasonnable" to buy this kind of oldies today ?

(assuming it is in good condition and ready to take photos, of course !)

I'm already equiped with a DSLR (and I miss my Panasonic LC1...)

This may be a way to get into the Leica family :cool: without emptying my bank account...

In other words, is a come back to film judicious ?

Thanks a lot

--

Christophe

I read some article and point of view about Leica CL / Minolta CLE, and CL may be "more" repairable in case of...

BTW, just won this on ebay : LEICA CL + Minolta 40mm Rokkor

Cell is supposed to be OK

:)

Christophe,

I don't know much about the CL, but let me give a comment to your second question.

I'm back at using film again. In 2001 I bought an Olympus E10 and was happy with it. I thought I would never have to think about film again. Last year this camera (E10) didn't work anymore -- too much electronics, I guess.

Now I use my good old Leica M4-P again (a second hand camera and it even doesn't need a battery) -- well, everything is okay now. I use black&white film, a scanner (Epson F3200), a good program (GIMP or Photoshop) and a good photoprinter if needed.

I'm fine with it!

:) Paul

Thank you Paul,

I just had a quick look at your gallery : very nice images ! I will spend more time in it !

About films, don't you have any problem to find the ones you like, and/or to make them developped ?

Christophe

The CL is great camera,just as long as you don't try to use it like a PJ would use an M in a war zone. It really is a fine camera , I have 2 along with my MP and guess which I use most ! OK - it's not an M but it take's the glass and is small. I had a CLE but got rid of it because of the lack of manual metering and exposure lock, but otherwise that's a great little camera as well.

I use one of mine with the 12mm Voightlander lens and the other with the pre-asph 35mm Summilux.

Good luck - if you get a good one you won't regret it, and I've never had any sort of problems with either.

Bruno

Guest Metroman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Christophe - I acquired a CL last year and love it. Currently my MP is at the Leica hospital and I am using the CL. I did have mine CLA'd and the Cds cell replaced (the cells only last 10-12 years) and it came back like new. It is a great size with the 40mm for an everyday carry.

Some useful resources:

Karen Nakamura Photoethnography

Cameraquest on the CL

Leica CL

Leica Camera Repairs & Restoration in the UK - what to check

Leica Camera Repairs & Restoration in the UK - Repair Costs

Thank you andy,

I made a bunch of statistics ( with "ExposurePlot") on the exif of my digital photos : very informative about photographic habits...

I was particularly interested by the 40mm, because it's a focal length I almost never use with zoom lenses, and with DSLR, you have to use a 28mm to obtain a 42mm : not very discrete...

I've already read a previous post of yours concerning the CL : very useful links !

Christophe - I acquired a CL last year and love it. Currently my MP is at the Leica hospital and I am using the CL. I did have mine CLA'd and the Cds cell replaced (the cells only last 10-12 years) and it came back like new. It is a great size with the 40mm for an everyday carry.

Some useful resources:

Karen Nakamura Photoethnography

Cameraquest on the CL

Leica CL

Leica Camera Repairs & Restoration in the UK - what to check

Leica Camera Repairs & Restoration in the UK - Repair Costs

I read something I DID NOT KNOW in the Cameraquest CL page :

"The CL can be used on the VISO, a special shutter release arm was made for it "

I really never heard about this device : I have CL and Viso, it could be interesting... can anyone tell me something about ?

... About films, don't you have any problem to find the ones you like, and/or to make them developped ?

Yes I do have problems if I want to buy my films around the corner. I order them via Internet.

But to be honest, I don't care too much about the films I use. Normally I use 400ASA-film (ILFORD HP5+ or KODAK Tri-X)

except for very sunny areas, where I use ILFORD PAN F+. I develop my films myself, using Ilford-Microphen or Agfa-Rodinal or Ilford ID11 (preferences in that order).

I don't use color film. Very seldom I use color slides.

Normally I buy a roll of 17m or 30m of film and then I fill my cartridges with 15 or 20 exposures. That's quicker and cheaper.

But if ran out of film, I would buy whatever I could get.

:) Paul

• 2 weeks later...

As a "come back to film" a good choice, fine, compact, good lenses.

As an approach to Leica... mmmh ... it costs not much more to find a Screw Mount body with Elmar... that's the right way to have Leica feeling... CL is a "fine collateral".

To Paul : GREAT PICTURES ! a splendid portfolio.

• 1 month later...

Thank you Jacob for the link : very instructive !

Unfortunately, my "ebay" CL went back to its previous owner.

He sold it as "in excellent condition"...

In fact, I brought it to a Leica shop in Paris because I was not able to focus (and it was dusty and oily...)

They said the rangefinder was completely worn (no contrast), and not worth the value to repair it :mad:

Paypal gave me my money back (a chance !), but it cost me the duties (96€) + P&P back (36€) + new currencies change (30€) for... a big disappointment :mad: :mad:

For the moment, I bought a nice Canon rangefinder (Canonet QL17 GIII) in Paris for 70€. This way, I'll see if I'm pleased (teased ?) shooting film again and using a rangefinder at low cost.

I'll keep you all informed (of course)

Since five years i am using only digital. It is so much easier not to spend your time in a darkroom but in front of a pc...

But sometimes I would like to play with my dinosaurs.

Yesterday I wanted to play with my old canonet - but the shutter seems to be dead.

I sold my leica cl years ago and kept my M6. I SHOULD have kept the CL, because it is the much more practical camera.

And I have to agree with petteri (see the link): the canonet is not really an alternative to the CL.

I am dreaming of a digital leica CL: with a Four Thirds standard and adapter for the old lenses. And of course for half of the price of a M8!

My CL locked up, but is back in business again. I would agree that mechanical cameras are more easily repaired than electronic cameras.

It's a great camera, and I often pack it with my M3. Fast lens or tele on the M3, wide on the CL. Keep the 40 Summicron or a 35/2.8 Canon on it. The Canon 50/1.5 is also a great match for it. All three lenses fit into the pouch case.