Shutter speed with new Hasselblad lenses

kparseg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello folks, I hope you're doing great. After the release of Hasselblad H6D, Hasselblad lenses with improved leaf shutter (1/2000) were also announced. What would be the shutter synchronization speed with these new lenses and H-S adapter on Leica S? Thanks in advance. 

Presumably, 1/2000 if using a Leica SF58 speed-light set to HSS (which has to be set on the flash whether using HSS anyway). HSS sync is achievable to 1/4000 with the S camera set to FPS Mode.

If using an off-camera strobe fired by a radio transmitter, the sync speed would be determined by the radio transmitter itself. Some top out at 1/500 sync, while one like the Profoto AIR set to "speed"  is at least 1/1000 ... some Phase One cameras sync with AIR at 1/1600 ... not sure it can achieve 1/2000 without vignetting the edges (has to be tested),  However, if you hard wire the strobe to the camera using a PC cord from the strobe to the S camera's PC port, 1/2000 should be achievable.

The advantage of using CS Mode (central shutter) is that full, non-pulsed light can be used which provides significantly more light on the subject than HSS.  Keep in mind that when using the leaf-shutter mode, it is important to understand the duration of the strobe you are using. For example, if your strobe's duration is 1/1200 when set to full output, then 1/2000 shutter speed cannot be used without under-exposure. That is usually not much of an issue if using a strobe light set to 3/4 or 1/2 power where the duration gets significantly quicker. Even set to 1/2 power, the typical strobe is 3 to 4 times more powerful than a typical speed-light.

Hope this helps,

- Marc

• Like 1

Currently the Leica CS lenses are capped at 1/1000 which is faster than the old Hasselblad lenses which do 1/800 (1/750 on Leica S because of Half stop values)... 

I have heard the following though:

If you have a Hasselblad lens that is compatible with the Leica S-Adapter H and it would break you would send it in to Hasselblad for repair, they then update the firmware of the lens too and it won't work anymore on the Leica S-Adapter H. (Hasselblad doesn't want you to jump ship to Leica). 

I would also presume that all lenses bought new (shipped with the newer Hasselblad firmware) or any lens that is not on the supported lenses list in the manual of the Leica S-Adapter H will not work at all on your Leica S with the S-Adapter H.

Presumably, 1/2000 if using a Leica SF58 speed-light set to HSS (which has to be set on the flash whether using HSS anyway). HSS sync is achievable to 1/4000 with the S camera set to FPS Mode.

If using an off-camera strobe fired by a radio transmitter, the sync speed would be determined by the radio transmitter itself. Some top out at 1/500 sync, while one like the Profoto AIR set to "speed"  is at least 1/1000 ... some Phase One cameras sync with AIR at 1/1600 ... not sure it can achieve 1/2000 without vignetting the edges (has to be tested),  However, if you hard wire the strobe to the camera using a PC cord from the strobe to the S camera's PC port, 1/2000 should be achievable.

The advantage of using CS Mode (central shutter) is that full, non-pulsed light can be used which provides significantly more light on the subject than HSS.  Keep in mind that when using the leaf-shutter mode, it is important to understand the duration of the strobe you are using. For example, if your strobe's duration is 1/1200 when set to full output, then 1/2000 shutter speed cannot be used without under-exposure. That is usually not much of an issue if using a strobe light set to 3/4 or 1/2 power where the duration gets significantly quicker. Even set to 1/2 power, the typical strobe is 3 to 4 times more powerful than a typical speed-light.

Hope this helps,

- Marc

It definitely does, thank you Marc!

Currently the Leica CS lenses are capped at 1/1000 which is faster than the old Hasselblad lenses which do 1/800 (1/750 on Leica S because of Half stop values)... 

I have heard the following though:

If you have a Hasselblad lens that is compatible with the Leica S-Adapter H and it would break you would send it in to Hasselblad for repair, they then update the firmware of the lens too and it won't work anymore on the Leica S-Adapter H. (Hasselblad doesn't want you to jump ship to Leica). 

I would also presume that all lenses bought new (shipped with the newer Hasselblad firmware) or any lens that is not on the supported lenses list in the manual of the Leica S-Adapter H will not work at all on your Leica S with the S-Adapter H.

Oh, I hope that's not the case. Is it just your assumption or there is actually someone who bought the new HC lens and found it didn't work with the H-S adapter? Thank you.

The new lenses I don't know but I know of someone who had his HC lens repaired and as of then it was no longer recognised by the Leica S-Adapter H on his Leica S... 

I can only assume they will also factory default install this on their new lenses. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The new lenses I don't know but I know of someone who had his HC lens repaired and as of then it was no longer recognised by the Leica S-Adapter H on his Leica S... 

I can only assume they will also factory default install this on their new lenses. 

Al right, thanks for your input. I'll bring my Leica S to B&H this weekend and check if the new HC lenses work with the adapter. 

• 6 years later...
On 5/27/2016 at 4:56 AM, mwilliamsphotography said:

Hope this helps,

- Marc

SF58 HSS does work with 007  & S3

An old thread but as it’s been brought to the surface I can confirm that the latest Orange dot Hasselblad lenses work with the S007 via the adapter up to 1/1000th. They won’t go any faster as Hasselblad combine the leaf shutter with electronic shutter to get the 1/2000th speed. 

Getting the full speed with flash requires fast triggers and flash durations. I can get full power flash at up to 1/2000th with an Elinchrom Ranger RX Speed and Action head with Elinchrom triggers in speed setting. The newer Lithium powered flashes get slower as the power increases while traditional studio pack heads and lead gel packs do the opposite.

9 hours ago, Pieter12 said:

My point is, why would you need to synch at such high shutter speeds? You would need to be using a high ISO and have very bright ambient light and powerful strobes to require synch beyond 1/1000. Unless it is some sort of specialized application.

It allows full control of the balance of strobe and ambient light. For example daylight portraits with a wide aperture or lighting a strongly backlit subject. Even just to turn daylight into dusk to better highlight a subject.

I personally need high sync speeds because I shoot highly reflective subjects. A fast enough shutter will cut ambient reflections down to nothing.

On 12/19/2022 at 12:31 AM, Pieter12 said:

My point is, why would you need to synch at such high shutter speeds? You would need to be using a high ISO and have very bright ambient light and powerful strobes to require synch beyond 1/1000. Unless it is some sort of specialized application.

Yes, when shooting with wide apertures (for shallow DoF) in relatively bright ambient light conditions. A typical use would be to underexpose ambient by 1-2 stops using fast shutter speed, then pick out the subject with strobe light. Even 1/1000s sometimes will not be enough. Example: say your ambient light reading is f5.6 at 1/250s, ISO100 (we are in shade or it is an overcast day). You want to underexpose ambient by just one f-stop...so move to 1/500s. Then you decide to shoot at f2.8 for shallow DoF, that is two f-stops difference and you are at 1/2000s, beyond what the S can do. Ok, so you probably go ahead with f4 and 1/1000s here, or attach an ND filter to cut more light (you can also use a polariser in a pinch to cut an extra one to two f-stops, depending on brand).  Example here and the subsequent two images...all shot in this way (and not suitable for work).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Look at the very bottom of this article for a comparison:

https://www.reddotforum.com/content/2020/04/the-definitive-guide-to-leica-s-lenses/

Today, many use flashes that provide light for faster focal plan shutters through firing multiple times in one shot, but the old way was a strobe with a central shutter.