Help needed: video aspect ratio

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before, but I've recently started using the M240 for video in my travel series, and noticed that all my videos are in 16:9 aspect ratio. As I'm on the go at the moment, I ask for your understanding and apologise in advance if this has been asked before

How do I change the video recording aspect ratio on the M240 to use the full sensor (4:3 or 3:2?) instead of 16:9

Help appreciated, thanks!

I don't think it's possible. This is a page of the manual.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The reason most camera's shoot in the 16x9 aapect ratio is because almost all television sets and monitors have that aspect ratio.

Shooting 4x3 or 3x2 isn't very logical these days. 

And since there are far more pixels in your M sensor then you will record in the videoformat (1920 x 1080) you don't have to worry about not using the whole sensor size.

Monochrome.

1080p is old hat... now you've got cameras that shoot in 4K

UHD-1 (ultra high def TV) resolution is still 16:9  (3840 x 2160 pixels) but cameras made for cinema production might follow the DCI 4K standard which is a bit wider at 4096 x 2160 pixels.   You are still correct that your M sensor still has more pixels than you need.  From a video editors point of view a full sensor capture would be a good thing.   The editor could then crop or trim without losing any resolution.  It would not be a good thing for those who want to go directly from camera to youtube.