IR/UV filters: a question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With appreciable speed, my 2 filters have arrived today : quick, considering that I bought my M8 about 20 days ago. Nice to receive a pair of Leica boxes, and the plastic filter box with rotating enclosure confirms that they are still able to make things a little smarter than others: but in the instructions I saw a thing that I did not know: filters have to be used ONLY with 6-bit coded lenses: that in some instances can be a problem for me: I use an uncodable TE 90 and a Lux 50 I do not have in mind to have coded : I'll get coded my 21 Asph and then 28 pre asph (when 21 comes back from Solms....); I think there is no reason for the IR/UV filter does not do its job with uncoded lens, and I have just experienced (with the TE 90) the famed "Magenta Cast" on my daughter's dress... it is dark blue=strong violet on M8 !

Does anybody know if this is really a problem ?

Luigi, I think what they're saying is that using the filter removes the magenta cast - which is not correctable in firmware - and replaces it with the cyan drift - which is. With long lenses, the cyan drift is negligible, so my take is that it's fine to use the IR filters on uncoded lenses longer than 35mm (50mm if you're really picky). On shorter lenses which are uncoded, you'll effectively just be swapping magenta for cyan...

Thanks for the superfast answer Mark: I planned my lens set for M8 assuming that for WAs is better to code, while for 50 and over I can go on with my old excellent lenses (I love a lot my TE90, a superclean chrome item from '64...) : as I said, I've not yet coded lenses in my hands (3 weeks ago the asph 21 started for Solms... oh, I hope it will come back in a month or so...) and know well I'll have sometime to deal with the annoying operation change the lens AND switch lens recognition... but hope I'll live with it...

Luigi,

If you mean the 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M, it can be coded. Leica switches out the old flange for a new coded flange. Alternately, if you can remove the flange, you can send it to John Milich and he will mill the holes for you. You can then code it yourself.

I just sent my flange to John. I contacted Leica New Jersey several weeks ago and was told it could not be coded. Went there on other issues and was told it could be coded but they didn't have flanges.

If you are interested, let me know, and I will re-post when I get my flange back from John. I have had problems with coding but I think I have it straightened out now that I am using flat black paint without white.

Helene

Luigi, I think you'll be able to leave lens recognition + IR filter on; if you put a lens on with no code, it will be equivalent to switching lens recognition off. That's what I do with my 1990 50mm Summilux, no code, lens recognition on, results are fine.

Not so my CV 15mm which I have not got around to coding (mainly because I use the WATE) where a 39mm filter produces severe cyan.

Luigi,

If you mean the 90mm Tele-Elmarit-M, it can be coded. Leica switches out the old flange for a new coded flange. Alternately, if you can remove the flange, you can send it to John Milich and he will mill the holes for you. You can then code it yourself.

I just sent my flange to John. I contacted Leica New Jersey several weeks ago and was told it could not be coded. Went there on other issues and was told it could be coded but they didn't have flanges.

If you are interested, let me know, and I will re-post when I get my flange back from John. I have had problems with coding but I think I have it straightened out now that I am using flat black paint without white.

Helene

Thanks Helene... but,my Tele Elmerait is REALLY an old one...s/n 2.070.794, first type chrome...built when I was 8 years old, and quite different from the Tele Elmarit M black of new design: I think the flange is not the same... but if you are so kind and are in contact with the people You quote, can try to verify if this s/n can be coded: my dealer told me "nope", and the official statement in Leica materials say "uncodable".

With 50 mm and longer lenses, don't worry about coding at all.

Cheers,

Sean

... and the filters do their job right ? I was not too concerned when I read in the forum the tale of the magenta cast, but I confess that was struck when saw that terrible violet on my daughter's blue dress... it's always different when you experience DIRECTLY that a reported problem is a REAL ONE.

Luigi,

You can go to this page and click on "Further information" which brings up a 3 page PDF that lists lenses and discontinued lenses that can be coded. It doesn't look like yours is there. I assume the discontinued lenses are those for which Leica will be making coded flanges. Of course, we could do trial-and-error coding by having John Milich mill a flange if it is within his parameters.

Leica Camera AG - M lenses with 6-bit coding

(How do you get a clickable link in this forum?)

Helene