Leica DMR Image Thread

Bobitybob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More June 2015 RREC Annaul Rally pics - this time after the rainstorm.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1922 RR Silver Ghost Barker Tourer 

1930 RR Phantom II Reg. 711 YUG 

RR Phantom I 

Bentley 

Leica R9/DMR &  21-35mm R 

dunk

• Like 5

R8/DMR &  Elmarit R19mm  

• Like 4

R8/DMR & Vario Elmar 21-35mm 

• Like 5

You´re right jip, that´s my finding as well but it's another system which is as heavy as the R8/9-DMR and needs another lenses...

Since I have a nice selection of R-lenses so I want to use them on a newer body which should be lighter and could give the character

of a DMR (but there is none yet).

I have 2 DMRs and 10 batteries so it's fine for now.

Did you ever try them on a SL ? You will probably like the result. And the wide-angles are usable again (as wide-angles).

It is not necessarily lighter, but still slightly smaller than the R8/DMR.

Horse....

R8 DMR, 21-35

• Like 4

Did you ever try them on a SL ? You will probably like the result. And the wide-angles are usable again (as wide-angles).

It is not necessarily lighter, but still slightly smaller than the R8/DMR.

I think, your're missing the point of the discussion here, the discussion was about the "look", yes I've tried it with the 24-90mm and various R and M lenses while the new SL is a fantastic digital camera that Leica has ever produced as a platform for R and M lenses but for those who is looking for a film like rendering so this camera isn't.

If one likes modern rendering, equal good with R and M lenses so the SL is IMO the best camera at the moment.

Anyways, thanks für die Empfehlung!

Edited by van_hai
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

R8/DMR & Apo Elmarit 180mm 

• Like 6

R8/DMR +28-90mm 

• Like 4

1926 Rolls Royce Phantom I Barker Cabriolet de Ville - June 2015 RR Enthusiasts Club Rally, Burghley Park, Stamford

R9/DMR &  21-35mm R 

dunk

• Like 4

Vatican City & Rome /R8-DMR+ Vario Elmarit 35-70mm 

• Like 5

Pattaya/Thailand & R8/DMR + Vario Elmar 21-35mm 

• Like 4

Just blue and green...

R8 DMR, Macro Elmar-R 100

• Like 5

Small town's life at Mekong & R8/DMR+ 28-90mm 

• Like 4

Having fun  & R8/DMR +Vario Elmar 21-35mm 

• Like 3

These 500 MB files do no justice to the 'look', so in ignorance I wonder though whether any recent newer cameras possess that undefinable "thing" you see in the DMR files?

I've got to imagine that no more than several thousand (like less than 2000?) were made and after 10 years out of production, better than half must be out of commission? The replacement battery solution will only last so long. On top of that, some of the outdated software created to process the images must require a dedicated antique computer to make it all happen.

Just asking since I don't know.

Plan B?

These 500 MB files do no justice to the 'look', so in ignorance I wonder though whether any recent newer cameras possess that undefinable "thing" you see in the DMR files?

I've got to imagine that no more than several thousand (like less than 2000?) were made and after 10 years out of production, better than half must be out of commission? The replacement battery solution will only last so long. On top of that, some of the outdated software created to process the images must require a dedicated antique computer to make it all happen.

Plan B?

James, it's a DMR Image Thread  for those who are still love using a DMR and enjoy using it,

we're not discussing camera A is better B and so on...

Regarding the "look" it's definitely different from modern cameras (I do have the M8,M240 and have had a M9 for 2 years), as I mentioned before, it's not better or worse and some people are still love using film!!!

I do agree that the DMR isn't easy to use for many since it's only ISO 100-400 camera and battery is a well known issue but we

(DMR Users) solve our problems differently so I do have a 2nd. DMR and 10 batteries, 4 of them are rebuilt.

For me, I do like the DMR output best but I do grab an M240 in the situation where ISO 6400 is needed, isn't it  great that we do have many choices.

As for the files, it is easy to process with old or lastest C1 ,LR or some outdated software on almost any computer even with old microprocessor, you can't say that with the DNG-files from new cameras with 24-50Mpix.

Edited by van_hai
  • Like 2

Plan B?

500mb max single file size applies to all TLF images produced by any type of camera -  unless posted by a sponsoring member. The battery situation is OK - original battery modules' cells can be replaced.  DMR DNG file processing is not a problem and does not require an antique computer or obsolete software. Secondhand DMR modules can be purchased for £$€reasonable outlay. If a DMR's mother board fails, buy another used DMR - there's still nothing available which will provide similar image quality files for the now relatively low price. One of the few limitations is the relatively low usable ISO settings -  but 200 can be stretched to 400 ( or 400 to 800)  via 'minus' exp. compensation and subsequent adjustment in post processing. No plans to dispose of my DMR - it's easier to carry than my SL. 

dunk

German WW2 V1 Rocket (Doodlebug) displayed at Imperial War Museum Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK.  

The 'test unit' is on the floor in front of the notice; the actual launch ramp was very much longer.

Thus the means to eventually launch USA and Soviet spacecraft commenced - and all the associated technology. 

R9/DMR,  21-35mm R 

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 2

Dunk, indeed Duxford is an extremely interesting museum to visit, and well worth a day's outing.

The notice reminds me of the story of a new aircraft with its onboard radar system under test (it was codenamed the Yellow Circle Radar). Unfortunately the aircraft was ready for flight testing well before the radar, so they used a lump of concrete of the same weight and dimensions for aircraft testing purposes. Apparently the dummy load was known as the Blue Circle Radar.

• Like 1

Northrop SD-1 Drone (c.1960s) - Imperial war Museum, Duxford, Cambridgeshire, UK 

R9/DMR, 21-35mm R 

• Like 1