Leica DMR Image Thread

Bobitybob

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Booker T. Jones at the Cheltenham Jazz Festival last night

R9/DMR 50/2 Summicron

Pleased to see the DMR in use Charlie. Mine has been having a rest since selling the 21-35R to fund the SL601 - but I miss using the DMR so will be using it again soon with the 21mm Super Angulon R complete with its 'Schneideritis' … which surprisingly makes no difference to the imaging. The 21mm Super Angulon R is a very underestimated lens and capable of excellent results when stopped down to f8 - its optimum aperture. From an ergonomic POV the R9/DMR is so much easier to use and carry than the SL 601. The SL601's versatility and vast range of lenses compatibility plus its FF sensor is in a different league to the DMR … but within the DMR's sweet spot ISO ratings (100 to 200) its imaging still compares very favourably to the SL's. 

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

Pleased to see the DMR in use Charlie. ... The SL601's versatility and vast range of lenses compatibility plus its FF sensor is in a different league to the DMR … but within the DMR's sweet spot ISO ratings (100 to 200) its imaging still compares very favourably to the SL's. 

dunk 

Dunk,

Thanks. The DMR still works fine - perfect with my 180/2 Summicron (my favourite gig lens). You just have to remember that 40 years ago when Tri-X was king, anything over 400ASA was grainy. If you want to shoot in a style like the old days (like I do), you get used to it. I have no problems with a 400 ISO limitation. You just work in the same way as the masters did a little while ago.

Charlie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Never used a DMR or even seen one - the picture quality looks really impressive.

I was wondering did the DMR have to use the IR lens filters like the M8 or was IR filtration built into the sensor cover glass?

The colours to me look better than the M8.

Regards Paul Mac

Paul, doesn't need an IR filter. That was just the M8, arising from the early attempts to cope with the very oblique rays inherent in the M system.

• Like 1

Thank's John - the DMR images look really nice and easily could stand comparison with a recent DSLR.

Just out of interest was the sensor a Kodak CCD one?

Paul, it's certainly a CCD sensor as distinct from a CMOS one. The DMR was made for Leica by Imacon, but I don't know from where they in turn they sourced the sensor.

EDIT: A quick browse around the internet confirms that the sensor was indeed made for Imacon by Kodak.

Edited by masjah
  • Like 2

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Leica R8 DMR

Telyt R 350mm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Regards

Horst

• Like 7

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My favourite concert combination - DMR and 180/2 Summicron - back in action on weds 18th April 2018 - Gregory Porter at the Royal Albert Hall in London - playing with his Band and the London Studio Orchestra conducted by Vince Mendoza - a fabulous evening indeed :)

• Like 9

• 4 weeks later...

Leica R8 + Digital-Modul-R + Apo-Telyt-R 1:4/560 ..............................

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Poppies ...

R8 DMR, Vario Elmar-R 28-70

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

After WW2 the BSA motorcycle company,  endeavouring to produce 'something different', designed the Sunbeam S7.  Based on a BMW shaft drive model it had the fattest wheels/tyres ever seen on a British bike. The initial models were underdeveloped but this revised 1950 S7 Deluxe was a successful machine and was manufactured until 1956. Total S7 sales were 16000 including 5500 S7 Deluxe models.  Engine is an inline O.H.C. 500cc twin with a car type clutch and 4 speed gearbox. 10000 S7 series allegedly survive. Owner Mike Thomas exhibited this example at the Kettering Vintage & Steam Rally 2 years ago where he likened the riding experience supported by the cantilever saddle and large balloon tyres as, "… akin to riding a big blancmange"

R9/DMR,  21-35 R  ISO 200 1/180 f6.8

dunk 

• Like 4

Vickers Super VC 10 Type 1151 tailplane, G-ASGC … a static display at Imperial War Museum Duxford , Cambridgeshire, UK. A Super VC-10 still claims the record for the fastest sub-sonic Atlantic crossing  i.e. 5 hours 1 minute for a NY JFK to Glasgow Prestwick flight. 

Leica R9 DMR / Leica R 28-90mm

dunk 

• Like 6

I thought I'd put up a couple of R9/DMR images from this spring.  This first, from the Hovenweep area of the UT/CO/NM/AZ four corners.

• Like 5

This second, from just inside Utah, near Jensen (between Dinosaur, CO and Vernal, UT along Hwy 40).

• Like 3

And . . . being inspired by Charlie's dark music hall images, here is one from a few years ago.  R9/DMR with 80-200 Vario Elmar f/4.

• Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 4:56 PM, dkCambridgeshire said:

Vickers Super VC 10 Type 1151 tailplane, G-ASGC … a static display at Imperial War Museum Duxford , Cambridgeshire, UK. A Super VC-10 still claims the record for the fastest sub-sonic Atlantic crossing  i.e. 5 hours 1 minute for a NY JFK to Glasgow Prestwick flight. 

Leica R9 DMR / Leica R 28-90mm

dunk 

Fab plane the VC10 - in vintage BOAC colours too - reminds me of flying as a child to Hong Kong in the late 60s with 2-3 stops for fuel en route.

1 hour ago, bcorton said:

And . . . being inspired by Charlie's dark music hall images, here is one from a few years ago.  R9/DMR with 80-200 Vario Elmar f/4.

Great shot - love the movement in the conductor's hands 

Queueing for an Ice Cream 

R9/DMR/28-90R  … Wicksteed at War Weekend near Kettering UK … a WW2 re-enactment event i.e. Yanks vs Germans. 

dunk

• Like 3

Venice at night (R8 DMR)

• Like 2

Venice Cafe (R8 DMR)

• Like 4

Funny for the (albeit few likes).  This was a 'hip shot' taken while in a conversation at a bar (not with those in the photo).  I just noticed the opportunity, so I pre-focused the distance with no look into the viewfinder.  No auto focus, just a guess; based on a few (OK a lot) years of experience.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1