Landscape Photography with theSL and the 24-90mm

CBM_Photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Spent 2 days in Death Valley last week with this camera, and was very impressed. It was 111F and the wind was howling, but the camera was flawless, no heat or dust issues, the sealing is pretty impressive. Even the salt blowing around at badwater had no effect. One minor thing, but this is subjective, the CCD sensor on my M9, still renders colors that I prefer, but you can't have anything. SL is now the camera of choice over my M's, which is something I never thought I'd say.

Some images from this trip are here if anyone is interested ; http://www.death-valley-pho-1.cbm.photography

The colour profile that Liightroom uses is not particularly attractive. (I think that it is fairly conservative to avoid oddities when shooting super-saturated colours at night, eg).  Iridient Developer is supposed to have a better profile, but I have not compared them. 

Nice pix! I'm glad to hear the SL is performing well. 

LR's color profile is very neutral at its defaults, usually what I want. 

When I compared it to Iridient, their defaults are to a bit more saturation and contrast. 

Both are well within range of adjustment of each other. I also compared them to my own custom profile produced with Xrite Passport, which splits the difference between the two at the defaults. 

Death Valley is a fantastic place to try out a new camera.

The M9 will always remain a pretty unique camera but I do have the feeling that with the Q and the SL Leica listened to the many users who didn't upgrade from the M9 to the M240.