Guide to SL video

Big John

Just do it, mate! I recorded Simply Red in concert in Sydney as my first trial with the Summarit-M 2.4/90 handheld on the SL. Awesome footage in S-log, then graded in Filmconvert. Wonderful. Shout out to me if you'd like to see the final clip about 30min. I'll send a link to Vimeo. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Looking at soon buying the SL.  Video will be an area I will be shooting more frequently.  Can anyone confirm that the SL audio port is some weird Leica-proprietary port that (of course) requires a special Leica-branded adapter cable??

Hello:  So, I'm critiquing my original post of the SL's audio ports.  Looking at the Leica site, I saw their audio dongle and it makes perfect sense.  The port-side of the SL already contains a PC socket, a full size HDMI port (a huge plus), and the USB-3 port.  I'm guessing that 2 on-camera audio ports would have necessitated an HDMI-mini port, which is less reliable.  Just hoping this Leica dongle isn't $300!   I guess that's why I'm a photog, and not an engineer :)

Just do it, mate! I recorded Simply Red in concert in Sydney as my first trial with the Summarit-M 2.4/90 handheld on the SL. Awesome footage in S-log, then graded in Filmconvert. Wonderful. Shout out to me if you'd like to see the final clip about 30min. I'll send a link to Vimeo. 

Morning.  I'd love to see even just a short snippet of the 30 min. final. Did you use the on-camera mike, or an auxiliary for audio?

Morning.  I'd love to see even just a short snippet of the 30 min. final. Did you use the on-camera mike, or an auxiliary for audio?

Sure ... Here is the link to the full recording. Nothing was used beyond the bare hand held SL with the summarit-M 2.4/90 lens. Recorded internally to cards and audio captured with the on onboard mike. Assembled in Final Cut Pro and colour graded with FilmConvert. All up a 20min (test) job. 

Hello Meerec:

I noticed on the Film Convert web site that they don't yet have a SL profile.   I assume you were able to get around that issue?

Hi Meerec,

Thanks for posting the video, what ISO did you shoot at?

Auto-ISO ... didn't care to do a "proper" thoughtful recording i.e. methodically set ISO to a constant value for a uniform footage, it was meant to be nothing of a pro quality, a simple trial.  ISO may have varied then up to and often at 6400. Some footage in darker parts would have been quite high. SL is absolutely stellar with very usable high ISO. At that time, I had it limited to 6400, these days I shoot to its max of 50,000 with very very good results.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.  Am still dabbling with movie recording on SL.  What I am keen to know is how to decide which frame rate etc to use and when?

When I record in MOV 3840x2160@30p(All l), I get quite jerky pictures when viewed on ipad or Mac.  Any idea of what I should use for general filming pls?

Thanks!

Could it be your Mac's video card  struggling with the full resolution footage? I get that jerkiness with Sony A7S footage on my MBP. 

Think it is more about frame rate and synch with Mac?

Or the shutter, try with a 1/60th or 1/48th of a second . A higher one may make the footage  look jittery.

Edited by jmanivelle