1-point focus links spot meter -- brilliant

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm new to Q but I have been begging Canon for this on DSLRs other then the 1D series,

Shooting yesterday in 1-point focus and spot metering, the exposure followed my focus point perfectly!  Or did I accidentally turn on the hidden "Nirvana Function"?

• Like 2

I've used this a lot - and it really works. I'm a pro photojournalist, shooting the presidential campaigns the last 16 months. Sometimes in such fast paced situations, I end up with very bad backlight, or it's hard to tell where the light it coming from. I have the focus modes programmed into the FN button on the back, and can switch to spot meter mode when facing heavy backlight, and the exposures are amazingly accurate.

I shot this picture using that mode - since I had light sources from all over the place, I put the focus on the candidate's face in 1-point spot meter mode, and he's perfectly exposes, and the rest of the picture's exposure came along for the ride.

gallery_13781_5277_237621.jpg

Edited by beez
  • Like 4

I am now using your suggested single point focus and spot meter. It is a good mode to use in many situations. However, it appears to me that when used in continuous shooting, the exposure is only retained for the first image and then it chooses the exposure for where the center of the spot is. To clarify, I select an area I want to be in focus and at a correct exposure. Then I recompose to the desired composition. The first image is correct. Subsequent images are all exposed based upon where the spot is in the final composition. This is after I press the shuuter button and hold it down to take multiple exposure. The focus stays correct. The exposure changes. This would seem like a firmware bug.

I am now using your suggested single point focus and spot meter. It is a good mode to use in many situations. However, it appears to me that when used in continuous shooting, the exposure is only retained for the first image and then it chooses the exposure for where the center of the spot is. To clarify, I select an area I want to be in focus and at a correct exposure. Then I recompose to the desired composition. The first image is correct. Subsequent images are all exposed based upon where the spot is in the final composition. This is after I press the shuuter button and hold it down to take multiple exposure. The focus stays correct. The exposure changes. This would seem like a firmware bug.

I use the AF almost exclusively in single point, and use the toggle on the back of the camera to move the point around. In the picture I posted above, I was using the camera in continuous shooting (medium) and it held the exposure on his face throughout. When I use my manual focus Leica Ms, I (have to) focus on the subject and recompose, but with the Q I've found moving the focus spot to be faster/easier, and it will take the spot meter with it when necessary.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FYI, in case its not known, but when your in single point AF, if you touch and hold the focus point on the LCD for a moment, you can then move the focus point anywhere on the screen with your finger.  I find this a bit quicker/more accurate than doing it with the Dpad.  To go back to the center AF you just double tap the LCD screen as well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've used this a lot - and it really works. I'm a pro photojournalist, shooting the presidential campaigns the last 16 months. Sometimes in such fast paced situations, I end up with very bad backlight, or it's hard to tell where the light it coming from. I have the focus modes programmed into the FN button on the back, and can switch to spot meter mode when facing heavy backlight, and the exposures are amazingly accurate.

I shot this picture using that mode - since I had light sources from all over the place, I put the focus on the candidate's face in 1-point spot meter mode, and he's perfectly exposes, and the rest of the picture's exposure came along for the ride.

How do you have the focus modes assigned to the Fn button ?  On mine this isn't an option, I can only have WB, timer, wifi, metering mode etc....nothing really all that useful sadly

As I remember home down the FN button scroll to Exp,Met mode 

From Menu scroll to focus mode change to 1point

So pressing the FN will scroll through metering modes spot, center, etc

Thought getting to exposure compensation becomes a menu option, my preference is to keep the FN on Exposure 

Thank you for prompting this discussion. I do believe it's a gem to select single point focus and spot metering. I cannot see how to use the touch AF to move the focus point, but I'm happy with the D-Pad operation. I do see how to use touch AF, but I don't want to be touching the rear screen every time I focus.

Would you please share the settings you use for Auto ISO maximum shutter speed and ISO? My wondering is because you are a pro photojournalist, I'd be interested to learn what works for you. Thanks in advance.

Would you please share the settings you use for Auto ISO maximum shutter speed and ISO? My wondering is because you are a pro photojournalist, I'd be interested to learn what works for you. Thanks in advance.

+1 on this.  Very frustrating with getting underexposed results with using 12500 max ISO & 1/250 speed.

Focus modes are not set from the  FN button, I believe users  are setting the focus from the menu to single and then the function button to cycle through the metering modes^^

David is right. Read the question a bit too quickly early this morning.

• Like 1

First, an apology - in my original post - I meant to say I've assigned the metering modes to the FN button, not the focusing modes. Sorry.

With the metering modes very handy, I can switch to spot mode if the situation warrants. Since I always use single point AF anyway, I can easily and quickly switch between spot and matrix metering modes. I mostly use the matrix metering. I use the toggle for the focus spot (rather then the touch screen) because I always want to be looking through the viewfinder. I've been shooting professionally since film days - 1975 - I might take a few test pictures before things begin, to check color balance, but once things are happening, I don't chimp, ever. I'm also used to moving the focus point with the button because I've also been using Nikon DSLRs, I've gotten very fast with it. With my Leica Ms of course, I have to manually focus on the subject in the middle of the rangefinder, then recompose. 

I use a combo platter of Leicas (the Q, an M8, and an M9) for focal lengths between 21mm and 50mm, and Nikons (D810, D750 D7200) for super wide (14mm, 20mm) and telephoto (80-200/2.8, 300/2.8, 400/2.8). I don't use Auto ISO, because I've had very uneven results from it with all these cameras. I go into a situation and pick an ISO, and stay with it unless the lighting drastically changes, and if it does change, I'll change the ISO either up or down. All my cameras are able to change ISO settings with one button, so it makes it pretty quick, even if going from inside to outside.

Edited by beez
  • Like 4

First, an apology - in my original post - I meant to say I've assigned the metering modes to the FN button, not the focusing modes. Sorry.

With the metering modes very handy, I can switch to spot mode if the situation warrants. Since I always use single point AF anyway, I can easily and quickly switch between spot and matrix metering modes. I mostly use the matrix metering. I use the toggle for the focus spot (rather then the touch screen) because I always want to be looking through the viewfinder. I've been shooting professionally since film days - 1975 - I might take a few test pictures before things begin, to check color balance, but once things are happening, I don't chimp, ever. I'm also used to moving the focus point with the button because I've also been using Nikon DSLRs, I've gotten very fast with it. With my Leica Ms of course, I have to manually focus on the subject in the middle of the rangefinder, then recompose.

I use a combo platter of Leicas (the Q, an M8, and an M9) for focal lengths between 21mm and 50mm, and Nikons (D810, D750 D7200) for super wide (14mm, 20mm) and telephoto (80-200/2.8, 300/2.8, 400/2.8). I don't use Auto ISO, because I've had very uneven results from it with all these cameras. I go into a situation and pick an ISO, and stay with it unless the lighting drastically changes, and if it does change, I'll change the ISO either up or down. All my cameras are able to change ISO settings with one button, so it makes it pretty quick, even if going from inside to outside.

Very insightful. Thank you.

What we really need is the ability to change focus modes with the FN button

I often want to go from one spot to face detect and its a number of button presses in the menu as its currently set up

Or what I'd really love, as on my Panasonics, is the ability to have the camera on face detect AF, with the ability to just touch the screen to switch to single point AF.   Best of both worlds always at one's fingertips that way

• Like 1