Q iPhone App -- focus control?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow Q users

I put my Q on a tripod next to a fountain in my back yard with a goal of capturing images of birds using it as a bird bath.   Of course no birds decided to play while I had the time :)   Anyway... this was my first attempt to use the Leica Q app for camera control other than a few minutes of play when the camera was new.  I had the camera set to full manual including focus.   When snapping a few test images I was surprised in two ways:

1) the camera (or app) decided to change focus; and

2) I couldn't figure out how to restore focus from the app

I was aware that the app could override the camera even when the focus ring isn't locked in auto mode.   What I don't see is a way to force the camera to re-focus.  I don't think I did anything more than hit the app's shutter button when the focus changed.

Does anyone have some experience with the app who can tell me how to control focus (to what ever level the camera/app allows)?  I'm hoping there is some obvious method that I missed in my frustration ;)

On the Apple App Store, it's the Leica Q app.  That's for iPads and iPhones.    There should be an equivalent app for Android devices. I did find it for android based Samsung smartphone.

Edited by lucerne
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On the Apple App Store, it's the Leica Q app.  That's for iPads and iPhones.    There should be an equivalent app for Android devices. I did find it for android based Samsung smartphone.

Indeed the name is the same for Android ('Leica Q').

Moreover, once downloaded on an andro smartphone (or tablet) via Google apps, one can push the app to any other andro device, including ones without the Google apps installed, and it works there too. A flexibility worth mentioning.

• Like 2

Indeed the name is the same for Android ('Leica Q').

Moreover, once downloaded on an andro smartphone (or tablet) via Google apps, one can push the app to any other andro device, including ones without the Google apps installed, and it works there too. A flexibility worth mentioning.

Herve

Your suggestion interests me.   How do I configure a smartphone to not have google apps and to not keep trying to re install it?  In fact, I would love to have a totally google-free device.

Herve

Your suggestion interests me.   How do I configure a smartphone to not have google apps and to not keep trying to re install it?  In fact, I would love to have a totally google-free device.

I think we are getting out of the forum purpose : I suggest we continue via PM.

Basically, it happens I own an android smartphone that came "rooted" by default and without Google apps (just the option to then install them). It is a Fairphone from the first generation; I understand the current ones are much less friendly.

Also owning an ordinary tablet (locked and with Google apps) what I did was

- installing the "Leica Q" app normally on the tablet, from the Google market

- using one of the numerous file explorers to locate the app and send it to the phone (simply as an email attachment IIRC)*

- once received on the phone, clicking the attachment just launches the installer, which does the job.

What is interesting here is, this process does not work for all apps, because the "quickly drafted" ones often make use of various routines that require the Google apps -and in that case, at the end of the above process, you just get a message that the app you try to launch requires something not installed on the phone, and you wasted your time.

(That is the case, for instance, for the Paris official metro/bus app, 'RATP', which demands GApps on the machine it runs on)

But the "Leica Q" app is exquisitely clean, and does not need that, so the transfer process perfectly works -that was the sense of my initial post.

For actually removing GApps etc. I suggest we PM.

I'm not an expert (I just profit from the Fairphone) but I'm indeed interested, for I'd love to 'root' the tablet too; its permanent internet contacting everywhere is very striking when compared to the phone...

HTH,

Hervé

(*) the file explorer was 'ES explorer' I think

Edited by Herve5
  • Like 1