Sign in to follow this  
Martin Fagerås

Summilux 35 ASPH FLE rattle - 2016 Status

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've read one long thread and a few mentions of this phenomenon here on this forum. 

I'm curious of todays status regarding the rattle issue with this lens.

I recently bought a mint in box 35 Lux FLE second hand, the lens is perfect in every way except that it sounds like a rhythm instrument. 

Mine is a 416xxxx meaning its 2012 produced. 

It has no back/front focus, It's super sharp wide open at f/1.4 and the focus ring is smooth and nice. The aperture ring is perhaps a little loose, but not bothersome, and about the same as my 50 lux. 

The sound is only apparent when the lens is moved up and down, not side to side (front element facing upwards) and is surprisingly loud, so loud that if I'm indoors in a silent room i hear it on my hip as i'm walking out. As soon as the ambient noise rise it drowns though. Meaning, it doesn't bother me that much. 

After researching the matter i understand that Leica has stated that this is normal and that it's the aperture cage that rattles and that this is a part of the design assuring that the lens will function optimally. 

I also read that different copies are affected differently, some pretty much silent, some rattles with different volume, and some vary depending on f-stop (mine quiets down a little at f/16) 

Now, in 2016, how many current owners of the Summilux 35 FLE is affected by this? I'm also curious if anyone reading this thread have purchased a new-in-box lens that do/don't rattle. 

I'm also interested in hearing from members that had the lens CLA'ed with this issue. I heard that Leica can use some shims or similar to mute the rattle if requested. 

I bought my 35mm Summilux ASPH FLE new in November 2011. It's a superb lens - brilliant in low light, super sharp, and all of that. People complain about 'nervous' out of focus areas, but I've never found it a problem. And it works superbly on a film camera.

So, yes - a great lens, but also yes - it rattles like a set of maracas. That, and the aperture ring spins back and forth with the lightest of touches. Far, far too loose, but most modern Leica lenses seem to be built this way. I looked at threads about the rattle, and, since it's supposed to be normal, I've learned simply to live with it. It's become, to me, part of the character of the lens.

Cheers,

Colin

A snap I shot last year on my M5, with 35mm Summilux FLE, wide open. Ilford HP5 pushed two stops to 800 ISO. Smooth and creamy background, no 'nervousness' to my eyes.

perhaps we should start a band Colin 

"Good" to hear that It's not only mine that rattles loudly though. I guess I'll get used to it as well.

Have you considered sending it in for it? I think i'll just leave it be, and if the lens for some reason needs service in the future i'll ask them to mute it at the same time. 

Anyone bought a new 35 FLE in the recent year or two that want to share their experience and perhaps join our band? 

Haha, indeed. The rattle doesn't bother me in the slightest. You get used to it. If ever the lens has to go back to the factory, I'll perhaps ask them to sort it. But it's really no problem.

Cheers, and enjoy your lens!

I ran through a number of copies due to severe field curvature. They all came with sound and Leica did explain this (aperture cage). It is my only lens from Leica with this feature and my current one is perfect optically: no shift and extremely low level of field curvature. Enjoy the lens and don't worry.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My 2014 35mm Summilux FLE is silent.  

The aperture ring is way too loose, however.

Interestingly, my 28mm Summilux exhibits this rattle when the lens is pointed up.  Drives me nuts.  Sound like glass elements banging against each other.  I'd like to send it back to Leica for adjustment but I don't want to part with the lens for so long.

Rattling !? That's the last thing i would have considered to ask when buying a Leica; "Does it rattle?"

Good to know though, i suspect that would drive me nuts. One reason i don't like AF lenses is because of the noises!

I just bought a new one (late 2015 production) in silver chrome, no rattle that I can here and absolutely beautiful rendering on my M-E and M Monochrom.

This is simply the best lens I have ever used.

Mine is serial 430xxxx, got it last year and it did not rattle, I got it used but it was pretty much new in the box. Then back in March after a ski trip, I noticed it rattled a little bit, sounded like a lens was loose inside. So I pretty much freaked and then did a search and found the threads on here that confirmed it was a normal kind of thing so I just forgot about and it got on with using it. It rattles less when the aperture is closed all the way down so it is indeed the aperture cage thing.

It has not gotten any worse and the lens is seriously as perfect as I could ever want, by far my favorite on my 240 and M4-P. I'd be afraid to send it in for that and either have it come back optically not so hot or take half a year like some folks have had to put up with. 

I'm just going to roll with it, be part of the special band, hahaha!

The Rattling Luxes, now playing in a bar near you! 

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=https://media.giphy.com/media/3o85xDdwORno17FBbW/giphy.gif&key=f7e652f9f72af164af2d6a169d234d164e62d0a5403a527a50611d1ca82b4b85">

it's interesting though, seems that lenses produced in 2014 like Mikeleica's also have the rattle . First i've heard of a lens developing the rattle though.

Perhaps the rattle always have been there, but you just noticed after the trip? Mine is as mentioned pretty loud, so you can't really miss it. hehe.

It don't seem like any pattern yet though, It could be interesting to uncover if more black lenses are affected than chrome ones, or if it's fixed in later production. 

For now it seems like it varies, like most hand built items.