M2 black paint, repainted by myself

kodaktrix

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

as there were some discussions about repainting in this forum, I want to show a paint job, I did myself.

It were two chrom beat up M2 and M3 I bought on ebay.

I disassambled them, had the chrom and the nickel removed by a professional service, airbrushed them with black enamel paint, backed them in my stove, painted the engravings, assembled them, did adjust the rangefinders and applied a new leather cover.

My own working time was about 5-6 hours for disassembling, painting, assembling, leathering and justage.

Here I would like to show the M2. The M3 still needs new leather and justage.

Regards

Oliver

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I repair, service and work on my cameras only, as I am no professional. I would not work on somebody else´s camera, as it can be quite a surprise to open a 50 year old camera even if it looks pretty well from the outside.

Regards

Oliver

Hi, Oliver. This is something I have been playing with the idea of doing myself. What kind of paint enamel did you use? Did you dilute it to use with the airbrush? Was this airbrush of a low pressure, artistic type, or the more professional high pressure ones as those used in car painting?

Thanks

Ed Albesi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ed,

the paint is called Senocryl, by a german company, it is the same black paint that Leica used or still uses, I guess on the MPs and for all black paint jobs.

I diluted it with the matching thinner, and used a low pressure artistic airbrush with a 0,5mm nozzle. Then baked it for 1 1/4 hours at 160°C in my stove.

Regards

Oliver

No,

just the engravings for the SN and on the dials are less deep. So You wipe it off a little easier when you use the terpentine. Just repeat the another some times and it will be ok.

I were maybe a little cautious as I did it for the first time.

Regards

Oliver

• 1 month later...