Two M8s, and No Filters Six Months Later

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The post this evening asking if anyone has seen a 60mm IR filter was a reminder of my frustration: I ordered filters for my M8 within a day or two of the offer being made...December 15th? Something like that. Yes, one of the requsted filters was for the Noctilux, and the other for my 24, so not the most common filters (I had gotten other filters from Edmonds Optical.) I bought my second M8 in April, and ordered two more filters then. So far I have received nothing. I do not like to complain about Leica, being sympathetic to their challenges and loving the product. But sheesh, six months to fulfill an order? That's not good. JB

Yes, it's a drag! Especially since they said they would arrive in February! Leica really should get this together soon.

My current gripe is when is my 30% off chrome 50 Lux that I ordered months ago going to arrive?

If there's any consolation I too ordered a 39 & 60.I signed up via internet & never received any kind of confirmation & thought I might need to call Leica & see if I was even registered.Suddenly last Friday the 39 mm filtered arrived solo.There is therefore hope still out there!Stll aWATEing my WATE also!

You're in good company. I registered and ordered my 46 and 55 filters February 2. I've not seen either yet. I have actually purchased a 46 and other B+W 486s. (Actually, though, I've learned to forgo the filters entirely for most situations.)

This whole IR / filters matter has been a very dreary stain for Leica. Reacting to the market's reaction to the M8's IR sensitivity has put them way over their heads.

All we can do is just forget about the filter offer untill (or unless) they actually appear.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ruben, I think you must have the only 60mm they've made so far...

For whatever reason, they decided to make the smaller filters first, then the larger ones; maybe there's a learning curve/yield issue for the larger filters, who knows? I agree though, today (6 June) is exactly 6 months since the registation site went up; I'm waiting for 3 55s, 2 60s and a 67 (not having changed my order in spite of the WATE filter adapter). Nothing so far.

Just for the record. I'm still waiting for my 60mm, but have received the three other filters I was due (E49 black/ E39 black/ E49 black) and am assured by Leica that I'll get the 60mm in about 10 days. It MAY be that it's tougher getting things to the US market? I don't know. I will say that when I've contacted M8 Support [M8.Support@leica-camera.com] I've been very impressed by how quickly they get back to me and the pretty firm information I get from them. Have you written to them? Hope all of us get the filters we need soon.

Their schedule shippment time for E55 and E60 is this month AFAIR in their newsletter. So, should not be far, though I've got the B+W ones from Huppert Foto months ago. Six months is nothing normal in todays product and customer service cycle, we cannot deny.

Interesting thing is, these Leica UV-IR filters are labelled 'made in Japan' in their UPS package! So it seems ro be a Leica-Hoya deal...

I've been told that the glass industry ran out of this coated glass, which seems to be produced in batches. It takes time to start the process up; so long waits and smaller filters first. Not Leica's fault in that case. For what it is worth.....

I have just received an email to say that they are Fedex-ing my 49 and 55 today and it should be with me by Monday next week at the latest.

I started sending them emails asking because i am off on our holidays next weekend and really needed the filters.

Try sending an email to your reply from the M8 support team and see if they can help,

Cheers,

Matthew.