EF Lenes for SL?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's always a matter of timing. If this adapter had been announced together with the SL or just a short time afterwards, then the comments of many writers about this professional camera had probably been different, as this would have reminded them of the introduction of the Sony cameras.

Of course we do not know if Leica has even tried to influence this.

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

I wonder if this new adapter maintains weather sealing when using sealed Canon lenses.  That would open up some sweet possibilities....at very reasonable prices....especially until the SL native lens line is more mature.

Jeff

If you look at the adapter, it looks like all other Novoflex adapters - no sealing. But if you use an adhesive tape around the adapter on the camera side, this could help. And the weather sealed lens would then protect the other side.

Good enough for me, but no official weather sealing, I'm afraid.

I had a second look at the picture and found something that could be a tiny protective lip (on the camera side). But it is not clear if it is rubber or metal or just wishful thinking ....    ;)

Maybe you ask Novoflex about it ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by steppenw0lf
  • Like 1

Hi Jeff,

I wrote to Novoflex and already have an answer (in german). They write that there is a small lip on the side of the adapter pointing towards the camera - in german they called it "Dichtlippe".

It should be identical to other SL stuff (as I have none, I cannot really comment on that). I guess this means it is weatherproof, just as the SL 24-90.

In about 2 weeks the adapter will be available.

Stephan

• 5 weeks later...

I personly always wonder the prudence of using a 'Non Leica' lens on a Leica camera. The USP of a Leica system is hands down it's lenses. As far as camera features go, Nikon & Canon are definitely equal ( if not superior). I have all 3 systems. The unique  'Leica look' is what we all love! And we all know that it basically comes from the lenses, not the Sensor. So I often wonder as to why we all get so excited about these adapters. I would actually be more excited about an M or a SL adapter for Nikon or Canon camera bodies!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I personly always wonder the prudence of using a 'Non Leica' lens on a Leica camera. The USP of a Leica system is hands down it's lenses. As far as camera features go, Nikon & Canon are definitely equal ( if not superior). I have all 3 systems. The unique  'Leica look' is what we all love! And we all know that it basically comes from the lenses, not the Sensor. So I often wonder as to why we all get so excited about these adapters. I would actually be more excited about an M or a SL adapter for Nikon or Canon camera bodies!

For staters, Leica lens types do not include e.g. state of the art T&S lenses - essential optics for many architectural and studio photographers.

dunk  

• Like 1

It definitely does not come from the lenses alone, even similar sensors coming from a M240 and a SL produce different results.

So your view is "classic" (or "conservativev") but not necessarily true.

Using R lenses on a Canon 5DS was neither as much fun, nor gave the same results as using them on a SL. I bought the very expensive SL after acquiring the 5DS despite terrible comments and a "weak" sensor (regarding resolution). And if anything I regret the purchase of the 5DS and not of the SL

Maybe first try the different combinations before uttering opinions about prudence of gear selection.

Prudent or wise is who knows that he talks only after hearing/seeing all the facts, in court this is the principle of hearing both sides before a judgement. Also a classic.

P.S. you posted it twice, so you get two answers. The other answer is better, explaining why adapters are essential for me.

P.S.2: I see now that you posted it at least three times, maybe even more. So we even seem to disagree about what is prudent. If you do such a foolish thing, why not make a comment about it to warn users ?

Edited by steppenw0lf

For staters, Leica lens types do not include e.g. state of the art T&S lenses - essential optics for many architectural and studio photographers.

dunk  

Also the long telephoto CaNikon-lenses (>400mm) are extremely good. Where Leica really shines for me is in the range 18-90mm on the M-lenses (although the "same" performance can be found from other brands but in a bigger and bulkier package) and the new zooms for the SL. The R-lenses are of course still very good but new lenses from CaNikon are just as good and at a more attractive price. I have used the 70-200f4 from Canon and compared it to the Leica R 80-200 and the Canon is just as good (on my Canon 1D). Not sure how they both compare with the 90-280 on the SL, but the 70-200 is definitely less weight to carry around :).

I wonder if this new adapter maintains weather sealing when using sealed Canon lenses.  That would open up some sweet possibilities....at very reasonable prices....especially until the SL native lens line is more mature.

Jeff

The camera side of the adaptor has a rubber gasket. The lens side of the adaptor does not have anything. So with a weathersealed lens you'll get some but not comprehensive weather protection. With lenses like the T/S you'll get not a lot of protection.

Gordon

The camera side of the adaptor has a rubber gasket. The lens side of the adaptor does not have anything. So with a weathersealed lens you'll get some but not comprehensive weather protection. With lenses like the T/S you'll get not a lot of protection.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

this is to be expected, it is always only on one side. And if you add a weathersealed lens (which provides the other side) the whole combination is weatherproof.

Stephan

• Like 1

Ordered the Novoflex EOS to SL smart adapter today from Ffordes and it's expected to be in stock next week. However, Speedgraphic, the UK Novoflex importer advises that because of exchange rate anomalies following the Brexit referendum, all Novoflex prices in UK will increase by 10% on Monday 11 July.  Thank you Boris!! Expect we'll also have to endure other price hikes too. 

dunk

As for Canon - I think they all have no aperture control on the lens so having a lens always set to whatever I set when I left home is not useful. Plus, I have far more interesting glass in R or FD than my two good EOS lenses (40mm pancake and 70-210/4L).

The Canon CN-E lenses have aperture controls and are used by some people for still photos particularly the Canon 85mm T1.3 CN-E and the Canon 14mm Cn-E.

Edited by rriley

A word of caution about this adapter.

The auto focus performance with current firmware is not good. Lots of camera lock ups requiring taking the battery out to reset.

AFc - continuous does not work at all. 

It slows down the camera operation.

Even if you use Manual focus and manual exposure, the highest frame rate you can get is 2-3 frames per second. 

I tried at football match. auto focus was useless. So I thought I would just set everything manually to get some sequence shots. Was expecting 11 Frames per second, got 2 to 3.

If you are using this adapter to just set the aperture of EF lenses, use auto focus on still life or slow moving objects and/or use manual focus, then yes it works quite well.

The auto focus performance with current firmware is not good. Lots of camera lock ups requiring taking the battery out to reset.

Even if you use Manual focus and manual exposure, the highest frame rate you can get is 2-3 frames per second. 

I tried at football match. auto focus was useless. So I thought I would just set everything manually to get some sequence shots. Was expecting 11 Frames per second, got 2 to 3.

If you are using this adapter to just set the aperture of EF lenses, use auto focus on still life or slow moving objects and/or use manual focus, then yes it works quite well.

Thanks for the warning. I'm only planning to use the adapter with a Canon 24mm T&S lens initially. 

dunk

I've not had a lock up yet. Then again I've only used two T/S lenses and the 24-70 f4LIS. Also I don't see much change in camera operation speed with the lenses I am using. I think the camera may take an extra half second to boot up but after that it's as quick as I need it to be.

I never expected AF to be great. Even the Metabones adaptor for Sony has average AF at best and it's had a lot more time. Plus most Canon lenses are not optimised for CDAF ( a few are). They're PDAF lenses that have some limited CDAF focusing. The SL is a CDAF camera. With the 24-70 f4LIS I was a bit surprised it wasn't totally crap. It was actually fair with a static subject.

But certainly, thinking this adaptor will be even remotely useful for shooting sports is going to be an exercise in frustration and severe disappointment. OTOH if you've been wanting to use Otus quality lenses on your SL you're in luck.

Gordon

• Like 2

I've not had a lock up yet. Then again I've only used two T/S lenses and the 24-70 f4LIS. Also I don't see much change in camera operation speed with the lenses I am using. I think the camera may take an extra half second to boot up but after that it's as quick as I need it to be.

I never expected AF to be great. Even the Metabones adaptor for Sony has average AF at best and it's had a lot more time. Plus most Canon lenses are not optimised for CDAF ( a few are). They're PDAF lenses that have some limited CDAF focusing. The SL is a CDAF camera. With the 24-70 f4LIS I was a bit surprised it wasn't totally crap. It was actually fair with a static subject.

But certainly, thinking this adaptor will be even remotely useful for shooting sports is going to be an exercise in frustration and severe disappointment. OTOH if you've been wanting to use Otus quality lenses on your SL you're in luck.

Gordon

In fairness to the adapter, most of my lock ups came from the 70-200 F2.8.

This has Image stabilisation built in. I knew the adapter doesn't support IS, but didn't think that you need to physically turn the switch off.

Also the lense has the ability to restrict the focus range so it is quicker at locking focus on subjects further away.

In the Novoflex manual it says to not restrict the range.

So some camera lock ups might have been caused by having these switches on. However I have had lock ups using 3 different lenses so far.

Yes, I agree it is certainly not for sports

• Like 1