Leica Image Shuttle not recognizing my M 240

STB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am attempting to use Leica Image Shuttle 2.2 on my iMac for the first time since loading El Capitan as my operating system.

When I run Image Shuttle, it is stuck on "Connect camera..." The camera is on PTP, and indeed when I turn it on, the LCD screen says "USB Connection PTP". I've tried re-starting my computer, and plugging my camera's USB cable into a different port, to no effect. I've also loaded a fresh copy of Image Shuttle, also to no effect.

Does anyone know whether Image Shuttle 2.2 works on El Capitan? If it doesn't, is there any info on when it will, given that El Capitan has been out for seven months?

If Image Shuttle 2.2 does work on El Capitan, any thoughts on what might be causing this problem?

Thanks

Edited by STB

The Leica download site says Image Shuttle is only for Leica S:

Leica Image Shuttle Download and Installation

Once you have downloaded the appropriate version, start the installation and follow the program instructions. 

KNOWN ISSUES:

Changing camera user profiles in the camera during tethered connection could lead to a software crash and/ or an image loss! Solution: User profiles should not be changed when the camera is connected to the computer! 

Please choose an appropriate version for your operating system:

Title System   Leica Image Shuttle 3.2 (only for Leica S (Typ 007)) MAC Leica Image Shuttle 2.2 (for Leica S (Typ 006) + S2)) MAC Leica Image Shuttle 2.2 (for Leica S (Typ 006) + S2)) WIN

The Leica download site says Image Shuttle is only for Leica S:

The download section suggests that, but it isn't correct: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/221361-m240-tethered-shooting-multifunction-handgrip/page-1

However, now that I revisit that old thread, I see that there are a couple of 2016 posts in which people say that they cannot get Image Shuttle to recognize their M 240s.

In addition, Adobe says at https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-and-el-capitan---mac-os-10-11.html:

Direct tethering of most Leica cameras using Lightroom CC 2015 and Lightroom 6 is not currently supported on El Capitan. 

Tethering Leica S (Typ 007) cameras is supported on El Capitan through the "Leica Tethered Plug-in" which can be downloaded from the Leica Owners' Area.

• The Leica Tethered plug-in provides a direct link from your Leica S (Type 007) to Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6 via a USB 3.0 SuperSpeed cable. The camera's shutter can be released via the plug-in, with all captured images being immediately displayed in Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 6. It is the ideal solution for a fast and stable tethered workflow.

Adobe recommends that customers who rely on Lightroom for tethering Leica cameras, other than the Leica S (Typ 007), do not upgrade to El Capitan at this time.

It would be helpful to know whether there are people successfully using Leica Shuttle with the M 240 under El Capitan, and to know more about the problems that others have apparently been experiencing recently.

Edited by STB

I decided that it would be easier to load the old operating system - Yosemite - onto a Mac, and see whether Image Shuttle 2.2 is still working on that OS, than to try to get an answer from Leica.

On Yosemite, Lieca Image Shuttle 2.2 is working as it should.

Apparently, Leica CEO Oliver Kaltner thinks it's just fine to charge people US$840 for a multifunction hand grip/USB port and then leave those using the current Mac operating system without support for one of the grip's principal functions for eight months ... and counting.

And why doesn't Lightroom 6 support tethering for the M 240 for people using the current Mac operating system? Because Leica has neither submitted the SDK that would make it possible nor released a plug-in, as Pentax has and as Leica has for the S.

Thanks Mr. Kaltner for your respect for, and commitment to, your customers, and for your transparency/communication on this issue. Not.

Edited by STB

Thanks Mr. Kaltner for your respect for, and commitment to, your customers, and for your transparency/communication on this issue. Not.

Presumably, Mr. Kaltner has displaced a decimal point in the code and is now busy locating the displaced point.

This morning I sent an e-mail to Leica U.S. asking when we can expect Leica Image Shuttle to work with the operating system that Apple released eight months ago.

I got the following "Out of Office" reply: 

Dear Leica Customer,

This automatically generated email is to confirm receipt of your request or inquiry.  We will make every effort to promptly reply to your email in the order it was received.  Please be advised that there will be a delay in responding due to the slow integration of new business software throughout the company.  Thank you for your support and consideration.

Best regards,
Leica Technical Support

I guess I'll post the substantive reply once Leica figures out how to get its communications software working.

Edited by STB

FWIW LIS 2.2 does not work with El Capitan, but it works fine with Yosemite (OS X 10.10.x) working with an S 006. Also, It works pretty much flawlessly in conjunction with LR CC as well. I use it that way every day. Apparently the LIS 3.2 works with El Capitan, but only with the S 007

Edited by rsmphoto