Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

attachicon.gifCarpobrotus edulis, Chorão, Cabo da Roca_800.jpg

Carpobrotus edulis, Cabo da Roca, Portugal

ISO 100

f/6.3

1/800

Absolutely award winning.  The beauty of Q (well one of them) is the Summalux whether 1.7 or 6.3, its power to resolve is amazing.

Lucena; you have a gifted eye.  I shall follow you a long time.

Returning to classical photography is my passion -- hell I even shoot my iPhone/iPad using RedDotCamera app...  Deliciously old-fashioned (thus unencumbered!)

Absolutely award winning.  The beauty of Q (well one of them) is the Summalux whether 1.7 or 6.3, its power to resolve is amazing.

Lucena; you have a gifted eye.  I shall follow you a long time.

Returning to classical photography is my passion -- hell I even shoot my iPhone/iPad using RedDotCamera app...  Deliciously old-fashioned (thus unencumbered!)

Thak you, very touched by your words...

• Like 1

This morning, on the beach, a medusa with beautiful spots...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

ISO 100

f/2.8

1/320

• Like 3

I like it left in. Please tell me more about this photo. I'm new to Q and not getting good Macro's. Did you crop this image? Any other PP?

I did not crop the image, as far as I remember I just might have adjusted the brightness, or maybe not even that. To post in my site I always add a very tiny black frame, almost invisible, just to make a border between the blank page and the pic, specially in BW or light colors. The point is with the Q files don't need adjusting most of the time.

I put on full automatic mode most of the time, ideal for unexpected shots and for the macros it depends on the situation but I try full auto mode first (I am becoming lazy with age and Q results on auto mode pushes me that way) and only manual if the result is not what I intended it should be.

I have always been an inconditional of manual mode, in my D800 and D600 never use any other, but with the Q the results are so good that I allow myself more and more to it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I did not crop the image, as far as I remember I just might have adjusted the brightness, or maybe not even that. To post in my site I always add a very tiny black frame, almost invisible, just to make a border between the blank page and the pic, specially in BW or light colors. The point is with the Q files don't need adjusting most of the time.

I put on full automatic mode most of the time, ideal for unexpected shots and for the macros it depends on the situation but I try full auto mode first (I am becoming lazy with age and Q results on auto mode pushes me that way) and only manual if the result is not what I intended it should be.

I have always been an inconditional of manual mode, in my D800 and D600 never use any other, but with the Q the results are so good that I allow myself more and more to it.

Thank you, this is helpful. I too have always shot manual, perhaps I should quit interfering and let the Q do it's job. Your results are terrific, Thanks again

First of two flowers on small clematis plant, 'Polish Spirit' (f2.8) With macro I prefer manual focus with enlarged central image for sharpest results hand-held – I have yet to try using my tripod, though.

Edited by microview
  • Like 1

I love photographing little flying things with the Q. The remote control and shutter work especially well when the camera is on a tripod and in front of a hummingbird feeder. 

• Like 19

I recently completed a macro photography workshop focused on reptiles and frogs. Here are a few shots with the Q. I used a Canon MR-14EX Ring Flash mounted to the front of the Q and in manual mode usually around 1/16 power. f/16 at 1/500 of a sec. shutter speed. ISO 100.

• Like 16

macro bw

• Like 16

I am a bit surprised at how good the macro capabilities are on the Q. It shouldn't be this good, should it?

Edited by biglouis
  • Like 10

I am a bit surprised at how good the macro capabilities are on the Q. It shouldn't be this good, should it?

L1010574.jpg

A fantastic photo. Congrats. Yes, they are that good. I took close to 1800 macro shots at the frog workshop. The Q is a joy to use in macro mode.

http://www.danoldfieldphotography.com/Gorgeous-Galleries/Nature-Nature/Frog-and-Reptile-Macro/

• Like 1

The macro setting does yield some beautiful results as has been demonstrated on this thread. Here are one or two close-ups of bumble bees - not great DOF control on my part, but the clarity in the insect is clear. 

• Like 5

Another another....

• Like 5

The Fearless Mountaineer  :)

• Like 7

The Q lens at f3.2 one of my favourite settings for macro.

• Like 6

To Q or not to Q, that is the question ... and this is part of the answer, shot by the Leica Store Miami's demo Q.  They let me take it outside and play with it, and I got my very first Q macro shots ... including this one (cropped).  This was a cactus that was part of a flower arrangement on a small outside table at a restaurant.

My own Q will be coming soon enough ... :).

(Edited to add photo - didn't realize you had to click on Attach before it would work.)

Edited by David Dennis
  • Like 1

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic