Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Gladiolus illyricus, Espadana dos montes

• Like 4

Updated to firmware 2.0, I'm noticing an improvement in image quality.

Q in macro mode, even left it all in auto (Program mode, AF) and desk kitty turned back toward camera...

Focus spot on hair above eye.  DNG into LR. -- f2.8 @ 1/60 -- ISO1250

• Like 1

Updated to firmware 2.0, I'm noticing an improvement in image quality.

Q in macro mode, even left it all in auto (Program mode, AF) and desk kitty turned back toward camera...

Focus spot on hair above eye.  DNG into LR. -- f2.8 @ 1/60 -- ISO1250

Very well done, just updated mine but did not yet had time to test it...

Rain drops...

Leica Q @ 1/500 Sec; f/2.8; ISO 320.

Edited by mehtasunil
  • Like 8

This is only my second day with the Q, so hopefully you can forgive me submitting an interesting but imperfect shot.  Honestly, I'm a bit shocked this worked as well as it did.

I think this picture was taken at roughly the closest conventional (non-macro) focusing distance.  When I tried the macro mode to get closer all I got was really fuzzy shots.  However, since it's clearly an extreme close up image, I thought it would be most welcome in this section, so here it is.

I have to admit that I really didn't expect being able to get this close to the butterfly, but as you can see I did it, and it posed for quite a while before flying away.  I would estimate that the butterfly was about an inch long.  Curiously enough, the large butterflies seem to be much more skittish than the tiny ones.  It's almost impossible to get a large butterfly as close as I had to go with the Q without it flying away as soon as it notices you.

I have done a lot of butterfly photography using my Nikon D5 DSLR and various telephoto and macro lenses (the 70-180 macro zoom is a particular favorite).  I have to say that I do not think I have taken a sharper butterfly picture than this one, at least on the wings and tail end.  I've done better on the head and eyes, but I'm sure better focus will come with practice.  Because I was not able to be close to the camera due to the awkward angles involved, I had to use autofocus.  Next time I think I will try using the Q app to control the camera and focus, but I didn't think to do that onsite.

I exported the DNG file from Capture One, cropped it in Photoshop and saved it as a JPG with quality "9".  No other adjustments were made.

Hope you enjoy the image! :).  I plan on continuing to refine my technique, and would appreciate any friendly feedback.

Edited by David Dennis
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifBlackAndBlueButterfly.jpg

This is only my second day with the Q, so hopefully you can forgive me submitting an interesting but imperfect shot.  Honestly, I'm a bit shocked this worked as well as it did.

I think this picture was taken at roughly the closest conventional (non-macro) focusing distance.  When I tried the macro mode to get closer all I got was really fuzzy shots.  However, since it's clearly an extreme close up image, I thought it would be most welcome in this section, so here it is.

I have to admit that I really didn't expect being able to get this close to the butterfly, but as you can see I did it, and it posed for quite a while before flying away.  I would estimate that the butterfly was about an inch long.  Curiously enough, the large butterflies seem to be much more skittish than the tiny ones.  It's almost impossible to get a large butterfly as close as I had to go with the Q without it flying away as soon as it notices you.

I have done a lot of butterfly photography using my Nikon D5 DSLR and various telephoto and macro lenses (the 70-180 macro zoom is a particular favorite).  I have to say that I do not think I have taken a sharper butterfly picture than this one, at least on the wings and tail end.  I've done better on the head and eyes, but I'm sure better focus will come with practice.  Because I was not able to be close to the camera due to the awkward angles involved, I had to use autofocus.  Next time I think I will try using the Q app to control the camera and focus, but I didn't think to do that onsite.

I exported the DNG file from Capture One, cropped it in Photoshop and saved it as a JPG with quality "9".  No other adjustments were made.

Hope you enjoy the image! :).  I plan on continuing to refine my technique, and would appreciate any friendly feedback.

It is a start! 

Generally on macro mode I select aperture and leave the rest to the Q. But truth is I never tried living animals...and that is much more dificult than plants, like this Adenium socotranum flowering at my place!

• Like 2

It is a start! 

Generally on macro mode I select aperture and leave the rest to the Q. But truth is I never tried living animals...and that is much more dificult than plants, like this Adenium socotranum flowering at my place!

Beautiful!  I shot some lovely flowers at Mounts, too.  They actually came out better than the butterflies, but I can't resist wanting to show living subjects.  More to the point, I don't remember which is macro and which is simply close.

By the way, is there any way I can tell in the Exif whether the picture was shot in macro mode or not?  I know in my Nikon D5 the focusing distance is shown, but I'm not seeing that in Capture One or even Apple Preview (which seems better at showing all EXIF parameters) for the Q files.

is there any way I can tell in the Exif whether the picture was shot in macro mode or not?

I think it would be useful !

If there is I did not find it... Edited by Lucena

Rain drops...

Leica Q @ 1/500 Sec; f/2.8; ISO 320.

• Like 8

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic