Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

Slightly embarrassed about my previous Aspen and Shadow photo. Definitely not up to Demitris' standard. So, I found another image with a white background that I like a lot more. Admittedly, I did a lot of cleanup of dirt in the water using photoshop, but the basic image is unchanged from the original. The leaf and the shadow are as I saw them. I love the refracted light around the edge of the leaf. One can imagine the leaf does not sit flat on the water and the surface tension causing the water around the edges to be raised causing the distortion.  

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 9

14 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

Slightly embarrassed about my previous Aspen and Shadow photo. Definitely not up to Demitris' standard. So, I found another image with a white background that I like a lot more. Admittedly, I did a lot of cleanup of dirt in the water using photoshop, but the basic image is unchanged from the original. The leaf and the shadow are as I saw them. I love the refracted light around the edge of the leaf. One can imagine the leaf does not sit flat on the water and the surface tension causing the water around the edges to be raised causing the distortion.  

Hi Dan, 

I hope I am not crossing any borders here with some C&C.

Though I like the idea behind this picture, the background color seems a bit out of place. Have you considered a B&W conversion?

I think that would get rid of the speckled background and gives a more graphical impression that would work very well imho.

8 hours ago, MLochmansPhoto said:

Hi Dan, 

I hope I am not crossing any borders here with some C&C.

Though I like the idea behind this picture, the background color seems a bit out of place. Have you considered a B&W conversion?

I think that would get rid of the speckled background and gives a more graphical impression that would work very well imho.

No borders crossed with me. It's all art and I'm open to new ideas. I wonderd about a monochrome version of this anyway. So, I converted it using LR and here's my interpretation.

What do you think?

Dan

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

No borders crossed with me. It's all art and I'm open to new ideas. I wonderd about a monochrome version of this anyway. So, I converted it using LR and here's my interpretation.

What do you think?

Dan

I like both very much but still prefer the color version.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

What do you think?

Dan

I think it's better in mono, specially the way the "halo" on the RHS leaf works out. I would go for a more grittier contrasty approach.

LHS leaf more detail, RHS leaf darker.

• Like 1

Both are fantastic, Dan. I think sometimes, when the composition itself is fantastic--as your leaf is--it is agonizing deciding which is better. Frankly, many times I think we turn a photo into B&W to save it: to make it both more dramatic and more austere--eliminating weak color elements. But this is an instance where the composition is so good that both versions work great, in different ways.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Both are fantastic, Dan. I think sometimes, when the composition itself is fantastic--as your leaf is--it is agonizing deciding which is better. Frankly, many times I think we turn a photo into B&W to save it: to make it both more dramatic and more austere--eliminating weak color elements. But this is an instance where the composition is so good that both versions work great, in different ways.

+ 1.....thought I favorite the mono version because of the background.😀

• Like 1

Hi Everyone ... I have a bit of an off-the-wall question: 

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is a new set of macro lenses available from Leica, Leica ELPRO E52 Close-Up Lens Set, and was interested to see that they can be ordered with a 49mm filter thread.  (See attached advert)

I wondered if this close-up lens would be a useful addition to the already available Macro setting on the Q, or whether the macro on the Q is all it can handle?

I have reached out to Josh at Leica Store Miami, but he has not yet received any of the lenses to try out.

Any experience with these?

Richard Johnson

18 minutes ago, phaxman said:

Hi Everyone ... I have a bit of an off-the-wall question: 

I noticed a few weeks ago that there is a new set of macro lenses available from Leica, Leica ELPRO E52 Close-Up Lens Set, and was interested to see that they can be ordered with a 49mm filter thread.  (See attached advert)

I wondered if this close-up lens would be a useful addition to the already available Macro setting on the Q, or whether the macro on the Q is all it can handle?

I have reached out to Josh at Leica Store Miami, but he has not yet received any of the lenses to try out.

Any experience with these?

Richard Johnson

These are my dream lenses for the Q. I haven't try them but when I get them I will make them work even if they don't want!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Thanks very much Ken. That means a lot to me knowing what great images you create. It was fun imagining this then making it real. I plan to improve on it next fall when I have more golden aspen leaves. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zampelis said:

These are my dream lenses for the Q. I haven't try them but when I get them I will make them work even if they don't want!

And the other question that phaxman is asking is:

The answer is that many of us are using some sort of extra macro lenses, at least on occasion. Marumi +5 that Dimitris/zampelis uses (as do I) can be doubled up to make a +10 with a little (often, pleasing) vignetting. My sense is that they are probably the best alternative to the far more expensive (and more powerful) Leica lenses. But when you enter Leica World, price is almost no object.

• Like 1

Some macro attempts with the Q. 

I had to wait a long time fore the wind to drop.😀

• Like 4

And then....this one.

• Like 5

And finally the last one.

• Like 7

• Like 8

• Like 9