Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks button permanently stuck on! Super job Dimitris.

incredible production of magnificent photographs, Dimitris. I want to buy the book!

I have not previously commented on your images Dimitris but have thoroughly enjoyed them all. I have done quite a bit of plant macro with my Nikon plus macro lenses but not achieved the artisticquality of yours. I have sometimes used themacro feature of my Q as a means of sometimes getting closer and had previously thought that a 28mm lens could never produced decent macro and I guess technically that is so. But you have demonstrated just how far you can make it really work. Great. As an aside, how do you find time to fit in some sleep bearing mind your prolific output?

Thank you so much for you kind words!!

As Orson Welles said, "The enemy of art is the total lack of limitations", so having some challenges with the lens focal length and the depth of field, can always motivate you to find ways to overcome them and in the end you end up more satisfied with the result, as you know that you have done some effort to achieve it. Even though it may not be technically perfect, your effort will be reflected on the result and the technical flaws can be interpreted as an artistic style.

Sleep is a very important factor, I can't operate if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep every day! And also having a main job that requires 3 hours of commuting doesn't help! I do all my work during the weekends. It is not possible to sustain the same output rate in the long term, I just try to do my best this period that there are a lot of flowers bloomed, in a couple of months the output will be definitely much less!

To be honest though I don't think that the photos have reached a style that I would find it appropriate to communicate the artistic aesthetic I am envisioning. I am currently designing a macro flashlight that has some pretty unique features. If the project goes well I will let you know in this forum. There is nothing like that out there and it is a big challenge which means I may never finish it, but if I do, then you will see a technology that does not exist currently anywhere else and may be able to give that extra kick on the photos that I am trying to achieve.

So lets see how it will go. After all there is always a plethora of photography genres that someone can turn to during different seasons in order to communicate what he needs to say without words..

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 4

As Orson Welles said, "The enemy of art is the total lack of limitations", so having some challenges with the lens focal length and the depth of field, can always motivate you to find ways to overcome them and in the end you end up more satisfied with the result, as you know that you have done some effort to achieve it. Even though it may not be technically perfect, your effort will be reflected on the result and the technical flaws can be interpreted as an artistic style.

Sleep is a very important factor, I can't operate if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep every day! And also having a main job that requires 3 hours of commuting doesn't help! I do all my work during the weekends. It is not possible to sustain the same output rate in the long term, I just try to do my best this period that there are a lot of flowers bloomed, in a couple of months the output will be definitely much less!

To be honest though I don't think that the photos have reached a style that I would find it appropriate to communicate the artistic aesthetic I am envisioning. I am currently designing a macro flashlight that has some pretty unique features. If the project goes well I will let you know in this forum. There is nothing like that out there and it is a big challenge which means I may never finish it, but if I do, then you will see a technology that does not exist currently anywhere else and may be able to give that extra kick on the photos that I am trying to achieve.

So lets see how it will go. After all there is always a plethora of photography genres that someone can turn to during different seasons in order to communicate what he needs to say without words..

speaking of "giving it a kick", why not do a kick-start on it? 

• Like 1

Sleep is a very important factor, I can't operate if I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep every day! And also having a main job that requires 3 hours of commuting doesn't help! I do all my work during the weekends. It is not possible to sustain the same output rate in the long term, I just try to do my best this period that there are a lot of flowers bloomed, in a couple of months the output will be definitely much less!

Dimitris,

Your attitude, dedication, artistry and skill are one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much. Your photos are real art and I look forward to new ones. Likewise, I’m excited to see the results of your macro flash. Keep up the great work with your Q.

DanO.

• Like 2

speaking of "giving it a kick", why not do a kick-start on it? 

Thank you for the idea Ken. I will need to develop a functional prototype first. But as I am completely new into these ventures, I may ask for help from people that are interested here to give a hand on promoting and developing it!

#982 icon_share.pngzampelis

... just incredible...  :rolleyes:

Thank you so much! Always with a lovely comment!

Dimitris,

Your attitude, dedication, artistry and skill are one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much. Your photos are real art and I look forward to new ones. Likewise, I’m excited to see the results of your macro flash. Keep up the great work with your Q.

DanO.

Thank you so much for your lovely words Dan! I love this forum cause it feels as if we are all a big happy company with no limits on location on the map!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A cicada on tree in southern France

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

I dunno! was just going for a walk and happened by it. But I will find out and report back!

Its funny, when I searched about it in Wolfram Alpha it identifies it as a "slug"!

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 1

Jesus! What you are doing with a 28mm lens kills me!

Do you need to crop your photos to magnify the shots, or is it « full frame »?

Thank you Gil! I think it's common knowledge that the Q's lens is a killer one! ;)

Most of them are cropped between 35 and 40mm. There are some cases that I haven't cropped them at all and even fewer cases that I have cropped them more than 50 but 35-40 is the average. This one I think is around 50 but I will need to double check! The main reason that I crop them is to get rid of some vignetting from the macro lens. You can use it artistically though in many cases!

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 2

Yellow Cab

Leica Q
  • Like 7

By no means even in the same ballpark as Zampelis but here goes!

• Like 11

• LUF Admin changed the title to Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread
  • LUF Admin unpinned this topic