Leica Q / Leica Q2 MACRO image thread

Hi there! I've just received my Marumi +5 close-up lens to be used on my new Leica Q2. Is there any advice you might have to get me started? I'm sure there are wealth of information in this long thread but there are 96 pages :) Maybe if there are really good information to get started, we could add them in the first page of the thread? Just a though.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• Like 7

On 8/20/2019 at 4:24 AM, fredus said:

Hi there! I've just received my Marumi +5 close-up lens to be used on my new Leica Q2. Is there any advice you might have to get me started? I'm sure there are wealth of information in this long thread but there are 96 pages :) Maybe if there are really good information to get started, we could add them in the first page of the thread? Just a though.

Thank you! 

There is a lot of information in this thread but not scientific one... The best advice I can give you is go out with your filter and start taking photos, experiment and make loads of mistakes.. Then come over here and get inspired with what others have achieved with their camera and post your photos to inspire others.. I am afraid that if you feel that spending time looking on photos in this thread is a wasted time then you will not get the essence of this community.. that is, to inspire, encourage and motivate each other with our photos and make us say "I can do that too!" when we see something we like, knowing that the other person used the same camera as ours and that it is a challenge based on skills rather than on equipment.

Concerning your filter, It is a great accessory if you like to come a bit closer to your subject and achieve a narrower depth of field. You will get a bit of pinch distortion if you shoot on normal (less on macro) mode and a minimum amount of chromatic aberration.. You can stack more than one if you like to have your subject closer but you will start getting vignetting, (which can some times be useful as an artistic method especially in close-up flora photos) and lots of distortion. With 2 filters you will still don't block the light when you come close to your subjects... But adding a third filter will block the light almost always.. Also 2+ filters will make you come only 2-3 cm away of your subject something not ideal if you shoot insects. 

That's it.. looking forward for your photos!

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, zampelis said:

There is a lot of information in this thread but not scientific one... The best advice I can give you is go out with your filter and start taking photos, experiment and make loads of mistakes.. Then come over here and get inspired with what others have achieved with their camera and post your photos to inspire others.. I am afraid that if you feel that spending time looking on photos in this thread is a wasted time then you will not get the essence of this community.. that is, to inspire, encourage and motivate each other with our photos and make us say "I can do that too!" when we see something we like, knowing that the other person used the same camera as ours and that it is a challenge based on skills rather on equipment.

Concerning your filter, It is a great accessory if you like to come a bit closer to your subject and achieve a narrower depth of field. You will get a bit of pinch distortion if you shoot on normal (less on macro) mode and a minimum amount of chromatic aberration.. You can stack more than one if you like to have your subject closer but you will start getting vignetting, (which can some times be useful as an artistic method especially in close-up flora photos) and lots of distortion. With 2 filters you will still don't block the light when you come close to your subjects... But adding a third filter will block the light almost always.. Also 2+ filters will make you come only 2-3 cm far away of your subject something not ideal if you shoot insects. 

Demitris, great advice. I really appreciate your contribution both images and writings on this forum. Keep it up. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Beetle

• Like 15

5 hours ago, zampelis said:

There is a lot of information in this thread but not scientific one... The best advice I can give you is go out with your filter and start taking photos, experiment and make loads of mistakes.. Then come over here and get inspired with what others have achieved with their camera and post your photos to inspire others.. I am afraid that if you feel that spending time looking on photos in this thread is a wasted time then you will not get the essence of this community.. that is, to inspire, encourage and motivate each other with our photos and make us say "I can do that too!" when we see something we like, knowing that the other person used the same camera as ours and that it is a challenge based on skills rather than on equipment.

Concerning your filter, It is a great accessory if you like to come a bit closer to your subject and achieve a narrower depth of field. You will get a bit of pinch distortion if you shoot on normal (less on macro) mode and a minimum amount of chromatic aberration.. You can stack more than one if you like to have your subject closer but you will start getting vignetting, (which can some times be useful as an artistic method especially in close-up flora photos) and lots of distortion. With 2 filters you will still don't block the light when you come close to your subjects... But adding a third filter will block the light almost always.. Also 2+ filters will make you come only 2-3 cm away of your subject something not ideal if you shoot insects. 

"I am afraid that if you feel that spending time looking on photos in this thread is a wasted time then you will not get the essence of this community" - I've started to share some of pictures on the image thread :) Thank you for your advice on how to best approach macro photography with the Q2

• Like 2

On 8/6/2019 at 3:20 PM, zampelis said:

Demitris, This is one of my all time favorites of yours. The symmetry is magical. I’d print this large if I was you. 

• Like 3

• Like 6

• Like 14

• Like 5

• Like 4

Dahlia

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

A majestic beast 😁

Macro f8 with Marumi 5x filter. Cropped.

PS: more/sharper details in the original... had to downsize due to forum file limits

Edited by superetoile
  • Like 10

Not having a flip screen isn't so convenient, but I love it all the same

Q2 - Newt Macro by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

• Like 9

5 hours ago, dancook said:

Not having a flip screen isn't so convenient, but I love it all the same

I herby swear to not show those photos to my wife. We would have a new dog tomorrow. Very nice Dan. 

The other Dan. 

• Haha 2

Quick visit to local Butterfly House

Question Mark Caterpillar 

Swallowtail Caterpillar 

• Like 7