Price increases

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think Hasselblad have made an error (wot! another one). I think a 35-90/f3.5-5.6 zoom should have been in their first batch of lenses released. Then it could well have posed some serious competition for the SL. Have you seen the weight of the body? It is the same as the SL within a few grams. A remarkable achievement for the big sensor. What also does surprised me is the EVF. I would have thought Hasselblad would have gone straight back to the drawing board, as soon as they saw the SL's viewfinder. 2.4M dots is just not enough for this price of camera, even if it did delay release by a couple of months. 

Wilson

Actually, I think the reverse is the case, Wilson. The X1D and the SL bodies are very close to the same size and weight, yet the SL has acquired the reputation of being a "large" camera where the X1D has everyone ballyhooing how "small" it is.

The difference is in the lenses. Leica chose to appeal to the presumed pro interest with a large, fast pro-class zoom, followed by another large zoom, because that's what their marketing perceived the baseline for a pro grade SLR-like camera would be most interested in at launch. Leica SL buyers have no choice but to buy a large and heavy lens in order to get all the capabilities the camera offers. Hasselblad recognized that to build such a lens for the 33x44 format sensor would likely make for a very large and awkward package where the marketing thrust was to be "the small medium format camera". So they're concentrating on building exceptional quality, modest speed, compact lenses first. 

I feel Leica should have offered a modest size and speed, pro-grade 35 or 50mm f/2 lens with AF and OIS for the SL along with the SL24-90/2.8-4 zoom as an option. It would have reversed the perception of the SL in the marketplace, because the body really isn't THAT much bigger than an M and is actually thinner where you grasp it. 

Actually, I think the reverse is the case, Wilson. The X1D and the SL bodies are very close to the same size and weight, yet the SL has acquired the reputation of being a "large" camera where the X1D has everyone ballyhooing how "small" it is.

The difference is in the lenses. Leica chose to appeal to the presumed pro interest with a large, fast pro-class zoom, followed by another large zoom, because that's what their marketing perceived the baseline for a pro grade SLR-like camera would be most interested in at launch. Leica SL buyers have no choice but to buy a large and heavy lens in order to get all the capabilities the camera offers. Hasselblad recognized that to build such a lens for the 33x44 format sensor would likely make for a very large and awkward package where the marketing thrust was to be "the small medium format camera". So they're concentrating on building exceptional quality, modest speed, compact lenses first. 

I feel Leica should have offered a modest size and speed, pro-grade 35 or 50mm f/2 lens with AF and OIS for the SL along with the SL24-90/2.8-4 zoom as an option. It would have reversed the perception of the SL in the marketplace, because the body really isn't THAT much bigger than an M and is actually thinner where you grasp it. 

My thoughts are simpler, Leica users compare the SL plus zoom against M cameras + traditional M lenses while the Hasselblad users compare X1D against MF cameras. To be fair, Leica users should be comparing SL against DSLRs and R9 w. motordrive unit. Other than Micro four third AF lenses are comparable to M lenses in sizes ( that is because of small sensor size), no other modern AF lenses are compact due to micro motor units housed in the lens barrel. Then again if Leica were to compromise lens sizes and make moderate lenses with plastic parts, what will be the market reaction?

With more positive feedback coming in from more professional users on the SL against all the noise of 'oversize' and jus want 'manual focus' noise from most Leica M users who will choose not to buy the SL anyway,....I tend to think the X1D seems more like a miss fit as it has a compact and great 50MP sensor cause it choose EVF over OVF but the other functions such as AF speed, processor speed (?) and lens selection make it just another MF camera, no breakthrough for wider application. At the moment, I can only see the X1D becoming a great Landscape photographers' camera when the HCD 30mm lens is made available. 

Do we know who is making the lenses for them? I would assume either Zeiss or Fuji.  If Zeiss, then Zeiss have a history of making very fine compact Zoom lenses. Think how small the 35-70 Vario-Sonnar G was. If Hassleblad are targeting the MF market, then their decision to go for primes looks correct and they will sell a few. If they wanted to target new customers, then I still maintain a zoom is essential. The X1D does not have a pool of compact manual focus lenses like the SL does.

The big and quite heavy H lenses would negate the value of the small body. I recall hiring an H with the 50-110 lens for a project for a client who wanted big medium format files. My back was so sore after half a day lugging that thing around, that I phoned the client and told her that if she wanted MF 50Mpx files, I was adding extra charges for post job Physiotherapy.  She relented and allowed me to use my M9. 

Wilson

1. I just did some calculations of the image circle diameters required for various formats. 35mm full frame = 43mm. H1X = 55mm. Medium Format full frame = 84mm. So you can see that purpose built H1X lenses can be a lot more compact than MF ones. If they were prepared to sacrifice a bit of the zoom range and a bit on speed, I am sure Zeiss could make a mid range zoom no bigger than the 24-90 SL. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do we know who is making the lenses for them? I would assume either Zeiss or Fuji.  If Zeiss, then Zeiss have a history of making very fine compact Zoom lenses. Think how small the 35-70 Vario-Sonnar G was. If Hassleblad are targeting the MF market, then their decision to go for primes looks correct and they will sell a few. If they wanted to target new customers, then I still maintain a zoom is essential. The X1D does not have a pool of compact manual focus lenses like the SL does.

The big and quite heavy H lenses would negate the value of the small body. I recall hiring an H with the 50-110 lens for a project for a client who wanted big medium format files. My back was so sore after half a day lugging that thing around, that I phoned the client and told her that if she wanted MF 50Mpx files, I was adding extra charges for post job Physiotherapy.  She relented and allowed me to use my M9. 

Wilson

According to the presentation they are made by Nittoh.

This company: https://www.nittohkogaku.co.jp/en/

Edited by mmx_2
  • Like 1