Price increases

jrp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I assume that the SL must be going OK as they have cranked up the price of the body by 5% (although some dealers have it at 1% off previous list), and the 24-90 zoom by 13%. Presumably people are discovering how good the zoom is, despite its forbidding bulk, and the dealers are not being left with the bunch of spare zooms that they feared when the system first went for sale.

Wrong !!

In Denmark has the price increased with 5% for the SL VarioElmarit 24/90.

Just check prices , is was DKK 33.500 and now it is DKK 34.900,-

Well, that wasn't the case when I wrote about it. Actually Göcker still keeps the old price on their webshop ( 33.500 ), but both Photografica and Leicastore Frederiksberg have increased the price to 34.900

In any case I guess I was lucky - I just bought mine in Germany for 29.500 incl. shipment :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The only price that really counts is the Euro one as that is the currency the factory finally receives. All other prices are local fluctuations and probably controlled by the importers, albeit monitored by Leica.

Have a look at the Euro-Pound rate last year.

• Like 1

The only price that really counts is the Euro one as that is the currency the factory finally receives. All other prices are local fluctuations and probably controlled by the importers, albeit monitored by Leica.

Have a look at the Euro-Pound rate last year.

Yes you are right, but the Danes keep a "fixed" rate towards the euro (it varies a little bit at 7.44+-0.2 and gets adjusted 4 times per year). So Danish prices are actually euro prices*7,44. Denmark also has 25%VAT (Germany only 19%) so this also makes a difference. When buying online inside EU you pay VAT in the country where the goods are. So ordering from Germany can save you a few percents. The swedish krona (and the british pound) is completely free floathing, so price adjustment (both upwards and downwards) are very common here (in Sweden). Some companies solve the problem by having a (customer wise) "very bad" exchange rate (in Sweden typically 10.5-11, "normal" exchange rate would be closer to 9,2-9,7). Others solve it by selling in euro (more for industrial machinery where the payment terms are very long, typically 60-120days).

Can you still get it in Germany for DKK 29.500? And where?

I bought it @ foto-mundus via ebay as new. As I see it they have another one for sale right now - a bit more expensive, but still much cheaper than here in DK ( ca. 30.200,- DKK ) :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leica-VARIO-ELMARIT-SL-24-90mm-ASPH-LEICA-Fachhandler-Einzelstuck-Art-11176-/331863120257?hash=item4d44955981

Edited by profus

If there is a Leica dealer in Luxembourg, that would be the best price, as that has the lowest VAT rate in the Eurozone at 15%. There is a lower 7% rate in Malta but that only applies to yachts also being registered on the Maltese Register of Shipping. 

Wilson

PS Foto Mundus were doing great deals on M lenses. I have bought an 0.95 Nocti and 18 SEM from them in the recent past at large discounts on list. Far better than anyone in the UK was prepared to even come close to. 

Edited by wlaidlaw

If there is a Leica dealer in Luxembourg, that would be the best price, as that has the lowest VAT rate in the Eurozone at 15%. T

Wilson

P

Leica prices are identical to the prices in Germany.

Lower VAT indeed, but higher rental costs and labor costs for the shop owner!

John

• Like 1

Instead Leica SL prices dipped in SG slightly.

There is even a promotion to get a free M or T lens with SL + Zoom purchase now in Singapore.

There should be more price pressure on Leica SL now that the Hasseblad X1D Medium Format Morrorless is launched!

Yes, it does seem to be targeting a similar market.  As others have pointed out, the key limitation is the very limited range of compatible / affordable lenses, in the absence of a built-in shutter.

I suspect that the competition is with the S, rather than the SL, however.