FW 2.0 DNG Embedded JPEGs

dgktkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After I did some parsing of a DNG file after installing FW 2.0, it looks to me like there are now 3 embedded JPEG files in each DNG file. There is the usual 480X720 JPEG thumbnail that was there before and now there are the additional 1080X1620 and 4000X6000 pixel JPEG data sections along with the 4016X6120 pixel raw data section. Apparently, this was done to enable high resolution review of images in the camera when in DNG only mode. As a result, the raw file size has increased from about 43.1MB to about 44.1MB.

dgktkr

After I did some parsing of a DNG file after installing FW 2.0, it looks to me like there are now 3 embedded JPEG files in each DNG file. There is the usual 480X720 JPEG thumbnail that was there before and now there are the additional 1080X1620 and 4000X6000 pixel JPEG data sections along with the 4016X6120 pixel raw data section. Apparently, this was done to enable high resolution review of images in the camera when in DNG only mode. As a result, the raw file size has increased from about 43.1MB to about 44.1MB.

dgktkr

That suggests that the 4000x6000 jpeg isn't very high quality (or it would be as much as 8-10 MB).  Can you determine the sizes of the two larger jpegs that are now included?

scott

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

That suggests that the 4000x6000 jpeg isn't very high quality (or it would be as much as 8-10 MB).  Can you determine the sizes of the two larger jpegs that are now included?

scott

The 4000X6000 JPEG is 871424 bytes and the 1080X1620 JPEG is 106496 bytes.

dgktkr

It's probably a mistake to think of the two larger JPEGs embedded in the DNG as anything other than an aids to allow reasonable resolution in-camera review. As JPEGs go, they apparently have a quality that wouldn't look so good on you computer screen. And you have no control over that quality.

If you want good JPEGs and you want control over them, then do DNG + JPEG in the camera, or exercise even more control and process the raw images into JPEGs on your computer.

dgktkr

Edited by dgktkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's great having previews embedded but the preview is no where near as good as it was when shooting DNG+JPEG.

Gordon

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that you see poorer quality in-camera previews with FW 2.0 than you did with 1.2 and DNG+JPEG?

dgktkr

Could you elaborate? Are you saying that you see poorer quality in-camera previews with FW 2.0 than you did with 1.2 and DNG+JPEG?

dgktkr

The included JPEG when shooting DNG only in FW 2 is of lower quality than the included JPEG when shooting DNG+JPEG. It's only there to allow image review and not meant to be high quality for other use.

Very new to the world of SL...probably wrong spot to ask this...Sorry....

1) when resetting the SL to factory standards, will I loose the firmware 2.0 update I downloaded

2) Has Leica published a new manual which includes all the info on the 2.0 upgrade

Thank you

Very new to the world of SL...probably wrong spot to ask this...Sorry....

1) when resetting the SL to factory standards, will I loose the firmware 2.0 update I downloaded

2) Has Leica published a new manual which includes all the info on the 2.0 upgrade

Thank you

1) no

2) no