AUTOFOCUS: M lenses on Sony A7r2 with Techart Pro LM-EA7 Adapter

k-hawinkler

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody.

I recently took the plunge and sold almost all Nikon DSLR and Leica gear (except for the M-lenses!) for Sony A7ii with Techart pro AF adapter and some more rangefinder glass. Two of the main reasons being both the versatility and the compactness of the system. After a week or so I must say I am absolutely stunned! Both AF and MF (having the wonderful close-focus ability of the Techart as a plus) work just fine for me. AF seems to be fast, accurate and responsive in most situations (people, portrait, street etc). Setup and UI are not easy in the beginning but hey, I think I can get used to it. Wonderful camera, very good lenses, beautiful results. Tested the setup with a pre aspherical 35mm Summilux and a 50mm Summicron IV so far. Im am really, really happy with the overall feel, the useability and the files! It is a very good tool and every bit as valid as, say, a Leica MP with film or a brand new M10. Just a completely different beast.

I will try to post a few shots as soon as I find the time.

Keep it coming, thank you all for your informative comments on the adapter so far.

Autofocus (-possibility) with my old M-lenses. I just can't believe it. Also pretty cool with longer lenses...

Cheers

JF

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1504638/1#14190047

I wonder is this a new and own developed unit or a ripoff of the TechArt Pro (TAP) version?

It would be nice to find out. I simply don't know.

Edited by k-hawinkler

If the AF is slow then I will be better off doing manual zoom focusing. Can someone with experience comment on the benefit of this adapter over manual focusing?

edit: just to clarify, I have read comments on this thread and I can see that it works (with appropriate fw and instructions) however I don't know how it compares with manual focusing by zooming. Is there such an advantage (how much)?

Edited by jmahto

Techart publicly announced their effort in developing an AF M lens adapter for the Leica SL. One year passed and no news about. That drowned my hope to turn my Noctilux into AF lens on my SL. I'm not sure what is the problem that halt the progress of the AF adapter development? I also think Leica is a dumb company when it comes to making money. It can easily develop an AF adapter for the M lens for the SL and charge $3000 for one. Many of us existing Leica M lens owners will complain but buy. It is easy money for Leica and shut the mouth of many users that complain SL lenses too big & bulky.

Lamentably I have to express my doubt about Techart service support. I bought one year ago direct from their internet site. The unit functioned relatively well during 10 months until a sudden death. No more reaction. I contacted the maker several times because they state 1 year warranty, but no answer. They completely neglect me. There is no address to send it back. So, one willing to adventure, buy from a reliable dealer. 

Lamentably I have to express my doubt about Techart service support. I bought one year ago direct from their internet site. The unit functioned relatively well during 10 months until a sudden death. No more reaction. I contacted the maker several times because they state 1 year warranty, but no answer. They completely neglect me. There is no address to send it back. So, one willing to adventure, buy from a reliable dealer.

A very typical 'made in China' product life cycle.

Techart is active on Fred Miranda. The way to get his attention is to complain on that forum.

How does this actually work?

Is there some sort of electric motor in that adapter that physically rotates the focus ring?

No, you have to set your lens to infinity and leave it there. The adapter will move the lens itself until it's in focus.

I've been using it since the first release and it works well, as long as you know what to expect.

It's not as fast as a native lens and it doesn't really work in low light but I'd say it's very reasonable. I'd buy it again.

Don't forget you can always turn off autofocus and you can use it as a normal M --> FE adapter.

• Like 1

Techart publicly announced their effort in developing an AF M lens adapter for the Leica SL. One year passed and no news about. That drowned my hope to turn my Noctilux into AF lens on my SL. I'm not sure what is the problem that halt the progress of the AF adapter development? I also think Leica is a dumb company when it comes to making money. It can easily develop an AF adapter for the M lens for the SL and charge $3000 for one. Many of us existing Leica M lens owners will complain but buy. It is easy money for Leica and shut the mouth of many users that complain SL lenses too big & bulky.

According to their rep and their Facebook page, they are working on a Fuji adapter at the moment, which is close to be released. After that, they'll go back working on the M adapter. Hard to tell if they were referring to M to Sony or to M to SL though.