AUTOFOCUS: M lenses on Sony A7r2 with Techart Pro LM-EA7 Adapter

k-hawinkler

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thaks a lot unoh7 for your very informative answer. I enjoy reading your posts and watching the beautiful images you share.
   Well, decisions, decisions....The Taiwan tech option does´t sound bad. I visit Japan very often ( my wife is japanese), and Taiwan is not far away.
   The Kolari option becomes expensive for us, living in Europe.

In the oder hand the M10 looks sooo sexy! Tomorrw I will test one at my local dealer.

Edited by Neko

Wilfredo, this is very annoying and you should get your FW 4.0 as soon as possible, as it make a big difference compared to nr 3.

Try to find a TECHARTPRO colleague in NY (most effective is via Facebook), and try to upload the FW together with somebody that has done it already.

Good luck

John

I'm still not having any luck.  I haven't had time to come back to this, I tried again today, and nothing.  I keep getting the message "Adapter LM-EA7 not found, please try again."

Could it be that I'm not getting a blue tooth connection with the camera?  If not, how do I fix that problem?

Any help is appreciated, right now I'm dead in the water.

Wilfredo, this is very annoying and you should get your FW 4.0 as soon as possible, as it make a big difference compared to nr 3.

Try to find a TECHARTPRO colleague in NY (most effective is via Facebook), and try to upload the FW together with somebody that has done it already.

Good luck

John

I'm still not having any luck.  I haven't had time to come back to this, I tried again today, and nothing.  I keep getting the message "Adapter LM-EA7 not found, please try again."

Could it be that I'm not getting a blue tooth connection with the camera?  If not, how do I fix that problem?

Any help is appreciated, right now I'm dead in the water.

You need to follow the instructions step by step.

Bluetooth in your iPad or iPhone needs to be on.

The close to final step is to switch the camera OFF.

The Bluetooth will then connect to the TAP directly.

Remember the camera is switched OFF.

The TAP still uses power from the camera battery though.

• Like 1

I followed all these steps.  One thing I'm noticing, the camera is not firing when the TECHART adaptor is attached, the adaptor seems to be trying to focus, and there is no shutter action.  When I put the METABONES adapter on it, the shutter releases no problem.  I'm beginning to think the adaptor is defective.  I sent a message to the seller in Hong Kong to see about sending it back, it was an E-bay purchase.  

For now, the camera mostly sits idol, I would invest in Zeiss glass but not happy with the size of those lenses.  I can't use my M lenses, unless I use them with the METABONES adaptor and I manual focus.  I can't tell you how many great shots I've missed because of my weak focusing abilities these days, and the whole point in getting this camera, was the AF option using M lenses.  If I have to manual focus, then all I need is my Leica Monocnrom  (CCD).  Yes, I'm frustrated!

Cheers!

Edited by wilfredo

Mystery solved.  Ole from Norway on the Fred Miranda Forum gave me the solution.  He had the same issue.  I am re-posting the instructions, with the added instruction in blue. I used my 50 LUX ASPH, wide open.  I hope this helps anyone else running into this frustrating issue.

Firmware Upgrade Instructions
1) Make sure the battery level of your camera and phone is >50%
2) Make sure the Auto-Lock of your phone is OFF
3) Plug in the adapter to your camera body

Attached a lens to the adapter. Remove the front lens cap.
4) Turn ON the camera, change the aperture value to F/90 (not F/9 !), release the shutter
5) Turn OFF the camera (IMPORTANT!)
6) Run the app in the smartphone and select the firmware 3.0 under LM-EA7
7) Click ‘Update’
8) Wait around 10 mins for the update to complete
9) SUCCESS

Edited by wilfredo
  • Like 3

I got it to work but not happy with the fact that I have to adjust the exposure compensation by -5 stops every time I use it, and for this I have to play with the menu until I get to the right option, and if I turn the camera off, I have to start all over again.  Had I known all these issues beforehand, I probably would not have taken the plunge with this camera, and simply kept the bulky Canon gear for color shooting.  This camera may soon be on E-bay, unless I decide to purchase AF lenses I can use with it, which then presents the challenge of bulkiness.  I have some thinking to do.

Thaks a lot unoh7 for your very informative answer. I enjoy reading your posts and watching the beautiful images you share.

Well, decisions, decisions....The Taiwan tech option does´t sound bad. I visit Japan very often ( my wife is japanese), and Taiwan is not far away.

The Kolari option becomes expensive for us, living in Europe.

In the oder hand the M10 looks sooo sexy! Tomorrw I will test one at my local dealer.

I also would love M10 and I think it is a wonderful camera. My dream would be M10/A7rii.newmod. I need two bodies and these two are so complimentary in many ways.

The current Kolari is only equal to M240 with certain lenses, SEM 18, 28 Lux etc, though it is better by far than the stock camera with all RF lenses.

But imagine if we could make the Sony shoot equally well as any digital M with any RF lens. Many feel this is impossible as the sensor structure "under the glass" is not as well tuned to RF wides. But Sam Lee is showing that if you can get the glass over the sensor as thin as Leica, then the A7rii 42mp may be the equal of any Leica sensor, possibly including the M10.

How can we tell? I asked Sam to do some shooting with a very notorious lens, about which there has much discussion since M9 was introduced: the ZM 21/4.5. Basically everyone has given up using this lens for color, as it's a real pain to deal with the red edges.

Have a look:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rokkorx/0FmF3c

Now, I do not trust my own eyes in these matters. And I hope any of your who know the lens, or just want to find examples on flickr of it with M9 or 240, to comment on how these shots compare to the Leicas.

I asked a member who really knows it well and has some nice blogs about cornershift with the ZM 21/4.5, to take a look. He wrote back and said they looked better than M240. That really surprised me. Now, that was a pretty quick impression. So, I don't think we can say definitively, Sam's camera is better than M240 with this lens quite yet. But the very fact a ZM 21/4.5 shooter thinks so is pretty remarkable.

Meanwhile Kolari has been working hard to see if their mod can be improved:

32622694052_78f0082f54_c.jpg

Filter Side by side labelled by unoh7, on Flickr

"V4" is a new IR cut I will test shortly, as they have sent me a A7 with that installed which I can compare to my M9 and A7.mod Kolari V2. I will use the 21/4 Skopar as the "problem lens" to really push the limits of steep ray angle performance. Here it is a few days ago, F/11 on the M9 with 21/2.8 elmarit profile:

31978989223_b1c4c61dbb_b.jpg

RIver Run by unoh7, on Flickr

Anyway, the whole point is that this AF adapter will be alot more useful on a very M friendly A7rii, and I think that is becoming more and more possible :)

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 2

Hi,

Installed TAP firmware v5.0.

I understood that the checking movement from infinity to minimum focus just after switching ON was eliminated and you are ready to take a photo without having to wait, is it right?

Just marvelous! I cant wait testing it on the road.

Thank you for the improvement!

Roberto

Well, got my  Techart copy a month ago. I'm impressed. Use it with all my Leica gear (35 and 50 LUX Asph/ 50 Cron Rigid/ Voigtlander 15/ Elmarit 90). Bought as well an exakta adapter and can now enjoy autofocus with some of my other German lenses (mainly Meyer Gorlitz) on the Sony A7II. It's fast even in low light. Not hungry for a used M  or a new M10 (but that can change :)).

"V4" is a new IR cut I will test shortly, as they have sent me a A7 with that installed which I can compare to my M9 and A7.mod Kolari V2. I will use the 21/4 Skopar as the "problem lens" to really push the limits of steep ray angle performance. Here it is a few days ago, F/11 on the M9 with 21/2.8 elmarit profile:

31978989223_b1c4c61dbb_b.jpg

RIver Run by unoh7, on Flickr

Anyway, the whole point is that this AF adapter will be alot more useful on a very M friendly A7rii, and I think that is becoming more and more possible :)

Hi uhoh7,

this photo does indeed show colour shift along the left edge, unlike the photos with other WA lenses you directed me to previously in your pm.

Kind regards,

Mark

Edited by MarkP

Any recommendations for R to M adapters to use in conjunction with the TechArt adaptor?  I purchased a Kipon adapter that works fine but is very flimsy, there is a bit of rattle on the connection.  I would like to return this adapter for something of better quality.